X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Flow Sensor Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,913 Likes on 3,215 Posts

Patterson, before you start spending that kind of money, what I would say is to spend $5 on a can of "Throttle body cleaner". This is different than carb cleaner, so, do not get carb cleaner. Then remove the intake hose off the front of the throttlebody and between using a wood stick and/or your finger, spray the throttle body cleaner into the throttle body and if it is brown, try to wash it off with the cleaner. If you see a hole, try to blow some of the cleaner through it. Make sure to get the edge of the metal disk (known as the butterfly valve). Use atleast half a can, if not all of it. The car WILL!!!! have a hard time initially starting because you have essentially flooded the car. But, with a little bit of cranking, it will start and may even through a CEL. Not a problem. See how the car runs then. You may find that it will help with what you are experiencing.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Veteran member

Oh, and as for the Torx bit, yes, they do make a T17 bit. Get your hands on a set of Torx bits and you should be golden. I have a few different sets that allow me to do just about anything I need to do.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

thanks Thermo, I did clean the throttle body once, but I used maybe 1/4 can of throttle body cleaner. I thought about taking the throttle body off and cleaning it and the intake manifold. Not sure, but I bought a TB gasket when I was at the dealer Friday in case. Speaking of the dealer.... I got the car home (running like crap) parked it, then I went out this morning to get a look at the throttle position sensor, and the thing on the opposite side of the throttle body, the actuator? In any case, when I opened the hood I saw the following:
Name:  IMG_20120428_155951.jpg
Views: 3319
Size:  33.7 KB
The Jag tech left this unplugged! They were of no help anyway, I felt like I paid $115.00 for a car wash. (when you take your car in, they wash it b4 they return it as a courtesy) Does anyone know what this plug/sensor is called? I am going to call the dealer Monday and ask for my money back. If the tech left this like that, I wonder what else he left unplugged, or if he knows what he is doing! It'd be good if I know what this thing is called. I work 9-5 so I'll have to deal with them over the phone and I'd like to know the name of this. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Patterson; 04-29-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

That looks like the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. That would cause the car to run a little rough. That is used to help compensate for the amount of air going into the engine.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Thanks Thermo. I called the dealer and told them what they left unplugged on my car and demanded my money back. They had me talk to the manager etc. who agreed with me that this kind of service is unacceptable, she promised to call me back, it's been 4 days, no call!

In any case, it has come down to buying a new throttle body. I found a new one for $950.00 and I'm picking it up today. The dealer wanted $2,200 to install a new one parts & labor.

Does anyone know if there is a "Learn" procedure I have to do after installing a new TB so the ECM can integrate the new part?

Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

No learning sequence that I am aware of. I would just say to disconnect the battery before doing the throttebody job. that way you don't accidentally shock something with electricity. Then you can reconnect the battery and the ECM will have to learn the whole car again and it will then know the characteristics of the new throttlebody too.

The following users liked this post:
Patterson (05-04-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM

The new throttle body fixed the problem. For my troubles, it was $1,000. The side you're seeing is the side you never see unless you remove it. Notice the 2 cooling line nozzles and the shiny new butterfly valve. On the left we have the black Actuator, and on the right side is the tps or Throttle position sensor. In black.

Name:  JaguarThrottleBody-paid1000dollarsi.jpg
Views: 3404
Size:  49.6 KB

It brought my Jag back to normal, and dare I say the acceleration is somewhat more accelerated. I tried everything else before I paid for a new TB, but in the end there was no getting around it. As I mentioned earlier, I had a leaky upper radiator hose, and after fixing that, I got the crazy idle and jerky-ness when decelerating. I had no vacuum leaks and cleaning my TB did nothing to help. But my coolant was leaking about a quart a week, and I let my plastic overflow reservoir get lower than minimum pretty often. As long as the temp gauge in the dash read normal, I figured the engine is cool and everything should be good. But I drove it with a low level of coolant in the plastic reservoir rather regularly for 2 months. This may have led to coolant not getting into the throttle body the way it should, and caused it to run too hot. Considering this TB had 100K on it, it may Not have liked the heat and so the electronics may have failed due to a sustained rise in temp. Even though, my engine stayed cool, there is no throttle body temp sensor; or is there?

The whole thing may have been my fault, ...this is just a theory. In any case, I used AAA batteries to block the coolant lines while I had the TB out. They fit perfectly; I read it here...
Name:  Jaguarintakemanifoldthrottlebodything.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  71.0 KB
This worked and now the new TB is in and serving well.
Name:  JagTBinstalled.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  22.2 KB

Last edited by Patterson; 05-12-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X type 2lt diesle

I need to rewire my 4 pin maft sensor plug on my x type jag,
it would be help full if any one has the pin out sequence,
I have one blue and white, two blue and brown, and one green and white
wires

Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Go to WWW.BBBindustries. register( no personal info required) and it free. It gives you schematics for any car. Just dig around, follow instructions, type in make, model,year. Print any portion you want. I printed the complete schematics for my PT Cruiser and Jag.