X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??

Has anyone tried any of the mesh grills OTHER than the Mina grill? There are several variations out there on ebay, some cheaper, some cheaper AND free shipping.

Exhibit A:
Jaguar x Type Stainless St Mesh Grill Grille Top Upper Insert | eBay

If not Mina, then what else?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Got the SS Mesh for the main grill and black mesh lower grill for the X-Type from eBay for a total of $95.

Got the SS Mesh for the VDP for about $50

Attached Thumbnails Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-mesh-grill-1.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-x-grill-1.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-x-grill-3.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-x-grill-2.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-j-grill-1.jpg  

Last edited by reyesl; 02-15-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

I bought mine from Lockwood International in UK.
They offer it through eBay as well, eBay name is "Superdials".

The insert came with a very good installation manual (2 pages, step by step ...) and is sturdy and absolutely original looking.

(I know the genuine mesh grille from my previous XJ Sport and you can't tell a difference from the Lockwood part.)

It is availlabe in electropolished stainless or black powder coated.
I choose the stainless version.

Cheers,

David

Attached Thumbnails Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-mesh-01.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-mesh-02.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 AM

Thanks guys. The Lockwood does look nice too, but they are in UK. Would cost more for that (with shipping) than the Mina. I really like the color-matched frame with the SS grill. I wonder what it would cost to color match my frame?

Reyesl, do you have link to where you found yours?

So far, the one I found (link in OP) has the best price. I don't know about the quality though. Tough to say without spending the money on it first.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My grille was on sale for $62.30 off of Ebay.
Fits 02 2006 Jaguar x Type Stainless Steel Double Wire x Mesh Blitz Grille Grill | eBay ($89.99)

(Not in picture) For lower mesh, I bought 12x48 inch universal black mesh and fits was only $32.00 off Ebay. Car didn't have the splitter when I bought the car. Wanted black so it wouldn't be noticed but hide the a/c line and tow hook. Not a big fan of all silver mesh look.
Universal Black Aluminum Mesh Grille Grill 12 inch x 48 Inch | eBay

You can buy universal pieces and just trim them to the size. Would save money and located in US.

Attached Thumbnails Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-20130215143103.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-20130215143120.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-20130215143138.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

You simply must do both the upper and lower grilles. It just adds a wallop to the looks like nothing else. A lot of X-Type owners seem to agree.

I would definitely consider purchasing both at the same time, as a "Combo" package. The reason being: stainless steel mesh comes in many flavors; different finishes, types of stainless and size of mesh. A "Combo" will insure a uniform dazzle.

I thought about purchasing a piece of stainless mesh at a local metal supply shop and cutting out my own grilles, but was dissuaded when I found out just how difficult the mesh is to cut. (Actually, it is neigh impossible to cut with hand tools or a metal-cutting bandsaw. That's why most of the kits are trimmed out with industrial lasers).

Get your hands on a Dremel-type tool before you start, too. You will need it to make nice clean cuts in the existing upper grille and lower grille "blade".

With mine, the lower grille came with mounting hardware that that utilized four screws into some mounting brackets. They worked fine, but you could see the screw heads from 100 feet away. I took the screws out and used short lengths of stainless steel wire - twisted up tight from behind the lower grille - and you cannot see how it's fastened even looking up close. I carry a needle-nose pliers and a small wire cutter in the trunk, next to the tow eye-hook, in case I ever need to remove the lower grille to install the eye-hook.

(The only problem I have had so far is that every once in a while, a HIGH SPEEDS - and I do mean HIGH SPEEDS - the lower grille will shift placement a bit and need to be grabbed with the needle-nose pliers and set back straight. Not a problem at all below 120 mph, though!)

My wife took the Jag to have her hair done one day after the new grille-works were installed. She thought it was pretty nifty that they had to close the shades of the salon because the glare off the grilles made it too difficult to see to do her hair.

She called it her "True Jag Experience"; they simply hated her.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM

Just took the car to a local body shop to get a quote on color matching my grill surround. $50.00. Not bad, I'll probably do it.

I know the guy (the owner). He said that only thing I'd have to watch out for its rock chips, as the chrome underneath would shine through the paint like a laser and "look like ****."

Nothing a little touch up paint couldn't fix. I risk I may just take.

Also, I'm personally not a fan of the lower grill look. Just not for me. I think it'll be nice to be different. Color-matched surround. Stainless mesh grill. Chrome bumper blades. No lower grill. (The Sport models have color-matched grill surrounds AND bumper blades.)

Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Here's a color-matched surround with chrome bumper blades. Somehow good, somehow odd.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Here's a color-matched surround with chrome bumper blades. Somehow good, somehow odd.
I have the sport and love the mesh grill combo. Sidenote: I want that chin spoiler on my X-Type. I love how it "finishes" the look on the Sport!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:51 PM

The color scheme I'm looking at is pretty common on the XJR.

http://www.mydrivewithpride.com/alph...rge/Eg_640.jpg

Not as common on the X-Type.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

[QUOTE=
Also, I'm personally not a fan of the lower grill look. Just not for me. I think it'll be nice to be different. Color-matched surround. Stainless mesh grill. Chrome bumper blades. No lower grill. (The Sport models have color-matched grill surrounds AND bumper blades.)[/QUOTE]

I agree, that is why I mounted the lower mesh behind the splitter.

Attached Thumbnails Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-x-lower-mesh-grill.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-x-grill-2.jpg  

Last edited by reyesl; 02-20-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the upper and lower done together looks the best. I bought the Mina kit, but someone else on here (I think it was Lcgi) made their own and it looks great plus cost probably 1/4 of what I paid.

The Mina kit is very well made, but does seem a bit expensive. However it will last forever and looks great. One thing I noticed is that when doing the lower portion you have to make sure you set it back into the car far enough. If it isn't set far enough in it will look cheap and ricy.

When I first installed the lower portion I used the brackets and screws provided in the kit. It looked ok but I wasn't thrilled. Then I was told to try going without the screws and using silicone instead. It was a great idea so I removed the lower portion and the brackets and put it back in place with just silicone. Easier said than done. You need to make sure everything is clean and dry so that the rubber around the edges of the insert will grip the body of the car. If any silicone gets in between the rubber and the body of the car you will get aggravated because the whole thing will start sliding out of place.

So I got it in place with the silicone and put some big drywall screws in it to hold it while the silicone completely dried. After 3 days I took them out and now it looks great. I don't have any pictures right now but I'll get around to posting some eventually.

By the way, I called Mina because their instructions say that the lower splitter should simply pull out and on mine that wasn't going to happen. It seems as though there are on rare occasions splitters that cannot be removed, they told me there seems to be no correlation between model year, trim level, or any other logical distinction. Of course with my luck mine was one of them, so I had to carefully dremel-out the splitter instead of just removing it. Sounds like Bruce had this issue too.

Last edited by emaraszek; 02-20-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Thinking about buying this one. I don't want to cut my stock grille up. In case I decide to put it back on. : Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar Mesh Grilles Parts - X-Type Mesh Grille Insert 2001 Up

Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

Got mine from Welsh many years ago...simple install, and still looks great. Don't skimp...Mina is a good outfit.. also...remember, you get what you pay for, and the quality of Mina and Welsh is top.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM

I ordered my SS Mina grill last week. Was quoted $50 to color match my grill frame (Carnival Red). Will do that when the Mina arrives. Looking forward to the outcome.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

They all look so dam good, than that dam liscense plate ruins it.
I honestly am considering removing the plate mount, notching the bumper cover and sliding the plate behind it.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Half the cars in California don't have a front plate, and we are required to. I'd guess 90% of them are Jags, Porsches, etc.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mbates50
Half the cars in California don't have a front plate, and we are required to. I'd guess 90% of them are Jags, Porsches, etc.
Same here in New York.

My friend who works at a body shop for one of the big chain dealerships around here suggested I remove the front license plate and bracket and then have him fill in the holes and paint it. We also discussed putting one of those license plate flippers on it so the plate could be hidden under the car.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I Agree With Jac and boobea

I purchased mine from Welsh. I buy many parts from Welsh and am always satisfied. Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-gedc1366.jpg   Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??-gedc1205-web-size-cropped.jpg  
Old 01-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front grill mesh

hi
how was the quality of the chrome?...............easily installed?

thank for any thoughts

Quick Reply: Mesh Grills (Mina Alternatives) ??