Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mesh insert Vs full grill?

3 and counting

Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You got any pics with all three togehter? that wud be a nice line up. "And counting"? how many more do you have in mind? if you get to 7, that could be one for each day of the week

Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 PM

i have my eye on an s-type r locally, but don't know for sure yet. i have to build a bigger garage first i think since i could not bare to keep it outside. my 2.5 car garage is full with the jag, the bike, the bike table, toolchests, workbench and storage lockers. i have to keep the work car in the drive as it is already.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  7.4 KB

3 X's in the family and your eye on an S type R!
You must have shares in Jaguar Nineball?...lol

Jim

Old 07-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S-type R is the way to go right now in my opinion, unless your ballin enough and just waiting on the XF-R...one day

Old 07-20-2007, 06:25 AM

thanks for doing the write up. I was debating this myself. I although the insert is cheaper i just dont think that it will come out as nice as an already installed one. I am currently saving up to buy the full mesh grill.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 AM

don't waste your money on buying a whole grille assembly. from start to finish, including grinding time, it is less than 2 hours for an install. actually it is less than 30 mins if you take out the grinding and sanding. save yourself $200 and just buy the insert and walk around with the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself. if you can turn a screwdriver and make a pb-n-j sandwich you can install the upper mesh grille.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call you local dealer for their price. If you can pick up the whole grill for $200 and sell your old one on Ebay then there's not a whole lot of difference between the insert and the full grill. The full grill installed in 5 minutes...with thetime savings (my current pay rate of $38/hr X 2 = $76) then I come out about even, but without the added hassle of chopping up my old grill. Now I just need to sell the old grill for $24 and I'll come out even.

Either way it was worth it to me. I am pretty good with a wrench and understand the satisfaction of doing something yourself, however I have other priorities to think of as well. Plus I wanted to be sure that it looked decent BEFORE I destroyed the current grill and there was no going back.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 45

Whatever works for you skyjump..........just givin you all the advice we can and then its all up to you.
Whatever you decide to do...........make sure n post some pics to show the finished article.

Jim

Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: nineball

don't waste your money on buying a whole grille assembly. from start to finish, including grinding time, it is less than 2 hours for an install. actually it is less than 30 mins if you take out the grinding and sanding. save yourself $200 and just buy the insert and walk around with the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself. if you can turn a screwdriver and make a pb-n-j sandwich you can install the upper mesh grille.

Well, i do own a dremel..lol..i guessI could give it a shot.I am just worried about the fitmet and the sturdyness of the mesh once its installed on the stock grill.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 AM

there really is nothing to worry about as you can't really do it wrong. you just lay the mesh on top op the outer trim piece then sandwich it between the newly opened grille piece.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 49

Go for it Peewee.......get the job done and give yourself some satisfaction as well as saving a few bucks n probably be able to afford to do the lower as well

Jim

Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: JimC64

Go for it Peewee.......get the job done and give yourself some satisfaction as well as saving a few bucks n probably be able to afford to do the lower as well

Jim
I dug out my old dremel..lol..it doesnt look hard i am just worried that the mesh grill will come loose or not align properly. I will let ya know how i did once it arrives. thanks

Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 46

Good on ya Peewee..........lookin forward to seein the pics and hear you rave about how easy it was and how good it looks, and also about the money you saved and when you're gettin the lower done.....lol

Jim

Old 08-04-2007, 02:59 PM

i got my grill today from jaguarxp but it didnt come with any instructions or a way to mount it? Is it supposed to come with clips or something to hold it securely in place? I wrote them an email today hopefully i will get this resolved soon

Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM

np clips. like i said before it is just sandwiched between the cut vane piece and the piece that actually mounts to the hood. the pressure from the screws holding those 2 pieces together is all that is needed to hold it in place. also, it is much easier to make slight adjustments to the contour of the grille after you have it installed.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: nineball

np clips. like i said before it is just sandwiched between the cut vane piece and the piece that actually mounts to the hood. the pressure from the screws holding those 2 pieces together is all that is needed to hold it in place. also, it is much easier to make slight adjustments to the contour of the grille after you have it installed.
ok great thanks. I read the faq and i see what your talking about. I was just a bit confused because every aftermarket grill i have installed required that i screw it in the facia or use some type of clips to mount it.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 48

You done peewee? Mesh grill fitted?
If so, post n tell us how long and how easy you found it.....Some pics would be good to

Jim

Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I'm wondering is why someone making $38 an hour was even worried about paying $400 bucks to buy the best possible grill? There isn't much I wouldn't splooge and buy every aftermarket thing for my car! Shoot I worked my **** off to make 14.25 carrying drywall and driving a semi...wtf!!! To me I wouldn't be worried about paying way too much for stuff making decent money...

Anyways...hey nine ball is it possible to make your own mesh out of mesh you buy from the local home depot?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone advise how to install aftermarket mesh on s-type?

Sorry if this is covered in S type forum or someone else - but I can't find any reference...
I was bought the aftermarket mesh insert for S type as a present. I'm not a fan of cutting up the original grill to install it but it really does look like a Koala from the from with the grill as the big black nose
Do I need a dremmel? assume hack saw not precise or flexible enough for the curves? Is it sandwiched as per x-type - or do I have to hacksaw up against the chrome?
Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply: Mesh insert Vs full grill?