Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery exhaust with Porsche tips installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chknhwk
You are seriously out to lunch on this one. =P The stock mufflers are stainless. So you're saying it's worth it to replace stainless with stainless and get more expensive tips?
Most performance mods are for just that, performance. Whether or not people actually use them for that is a different story.

Um, me? Hoping to get to Lime Rock Park and Mosport for the first time this year and I'm looking at a four day event at VIR in the summer.
Am I?

Congrats for being one of the only ones in it for performance. I would buy an Elise or similar if I cared about it.

The stock mufflers aren't nearly as pretty as these. The OEM pee shooter tips are indicative of my car's 3.slow performance and I changed those.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You are seriously out to lunch on this one. =P The stock mufflers are stainless. So you're saying it's worth it to replace stainless with stainless and get more expensive tips?
Most performance mods are for just that, performance. Whether or not people actually use them for that is a different story.
I've had plenty of real performance cars, I swapped my first SR20 into an S13 in 1998. Believe me when I say that my reasons for sporting this exhaust are 90% cosmetic and 10% excuse-to-fix-exhaust-leak. Seriously, my butt dyno is very finely tuned. I used to tune friend's S-AFC's all the time back when those were popular. I can assure you that even with a full catback on this car, the gains over stock are marginal. The only place I feel a difference is above 5000rpm, soooo unless you redline your Jaaag constantly you will be sorely disappointed by the power gains.

Nothing wrong with modifying for looks. These look 4085085x better than the stock exhaust did and were worth the money to me. If I'm really worried about going fast I could just hop on my motorcycle. Or I can finish building my S30, that's going to be the real track/performance car.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
Believe me when I say that my reasons for sporting this exhaust are 90% cosmetic and 10% excuse-to-fix-exhaust-leak.
Ok, but the KW coilovers must be for performance. I mean... I'm the only one out of touch here, right?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by exexpat
Ok, but the KW coilovers must be for performance. I mean... I'm the only one out of touch here, right?
Oh no! I've contradicted myself with my modifications! The only thing we can do is light our X Types on fire and drive them off a cliff.

It really does drive nice with the KWs though, plus I like being low.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I quite like it so far... Good fit and finish. I had the exhaust shop fab up a full catback (all you get is a pair of mufflers/tips from Mina).

Thoughts?

Up next for the Jaaag:

Finishing up the exterior mods... New wheels/small aero changes/custom stuff

Starting a sick new interior project tomorrow. I'm really taking it up a notch on the inside (afterall, that's where I spend most of my time).

New audio... Full Sound Ordinance system going in next month.
I like the style. Can I fit these Porsche exhaust tips on the custom X Type Exhaust. I saw the 996 Porsche tips on ebay which can be bolted on with no need for welding. Maybe I can cut off the custom tips and install them. Are those tips for the Porsche 996 (Just confirming the size)

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The stock mufflers aren't nearly as pretty as these. The OEM pee shooter tips are indicative of my car's 3.slow performance and I changed those.
Mufflers? Or tips? I can't really see the mufflers due to the stance (really wish I could drive a KW- and Mina Gallery-equipped car to compare the two). The tips are DEFINITELY eye-catching to say the least.
I must have missed the exact exhaust you got ufoz, you said it was a cat-back? Full ss? 2.25" or 2.5" back? Different resonator? Inside diamater? Length? I believe you said the mufflers were baffled? I'm surprised you didn't feel a whole bunch of gains. I'm working on an exhaust right now and I'm tempted to take the car out for some before dyno runs but I'm afraid the thing will Holy Hand Grenade on me. LOL

Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How many of your race your X-Types? Really? This is an age-old debate that seems to plague less mature aftermarket followings like Jaguar (and Volvo). People aren't modifying their cars primarily for performance and the other German car followings have come to accept it. I have, I know Allen has and a few others, but this like the other mods I listed is for vanity.
If I wouldn't be laughed off the course I would. If the platform is solid it can be raced. Sadly the X type from stock isn't the most desirable car. (this is coming from a builder of a Subaru SVX hill climb car which gave fits to a very well prepared local 944 ex race car in competition. Nothing was touched with the engine, just *******ized a workable suspension, caged it and lost nearly a 1000lbs. Car is now in a friends hands to make room for my TVR.

Yes you can race an X type, but competitive is another thing.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Mufflers? Or tips?
Both. Polished stainless cans, nice welds, nice tips (at least in the photos). Guessing the in real life they are as nice.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mmolaik
I like the style. Can I fit these Porsche exhaust tips on the custom X Type Exhaust. I saw the 996 Porsche tips on ebay which can be bolted on with no need for welding. Maybe I can cut off the custom tips and install them. Are those tips for the Porsche 996 (Just confirming the size)
I've seen a lot of variation in sizes even on Porsches that have these same style tips, so honestly I couldnt tell you exactly. I would call up Mina and see if they'll sell you just the tips, since they are totally removable/interchangeable (although I wouldnt recommend leaving them this way, I had mine welded on).

Mufflers? Or tips? I can't really see the mufflers due to the stance (really wish I could drive a KW- and Mina Gallery-equipped car to compare the two). The tips are DEFINITELY eye-catching to say the least.
I must have missed the exact exhaust you got ufoz, you said it was a cat-back? Full ss? 2.25" or 2.5" back? Different resonator? Inside diamater? Length? I believe you said the mufflers were baffled? I'm surprised you didn't feel a whole bunch of gains. I'm working on an exhaust right now and I'm tempted to take the car out for some before dyno runs but I'm afraid the thing will Holy Hand Grenade on me. LOL
Yes its a full catback and as of yesterday, Magnaflow high flow cat equipped. Piping is 2.5 down the center, resonator and splits off into 2.25 and into the Mina mufflers. It definitely pulls harder now getting past 4000rpm, I honestly think the biggest difference was the horrible stock cat.

Originally Posted by benebob
If I wouldn't be laughed off the course I would. If the platform is solid it can be raced. Sadly the X type from stock isn't the most desirable car. (this is coming from a builder of a Subaru SVX hill climb car which gave fits to a very well prepared local 944 ex race car in competition. Nothing was touched with the engine, just *******ized a workable suspension, caged it and lost nearly a 1000lbs. Car is now in a friends hands to make room for my TVR.

Who cares what other people at the track think? I tracked my Camry for 2 years. Even with a huge intercooler, brakes and R compound tires people that didnt know me still looked at it like "WTF is this guy doing here??" By the end of the day I always had Corvette guys, Mustang guys, and JDM guys all converted to loving the Camry haha.

Both. Polished stainless cans, nice welds, nice tips (at least in the photos). Guessing the in real life they are as nice.
Quality is good, nice welds and nice polish to them. The only thing that's questionable is the interchangeable tips. The clamps they supplied to hold them on kinda sucked and looked like crap when installed, so the only choice is to weld them on. So you just have to be really sure of which tips you want, or be prepared to weld/cut/reweld if you change your mind.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Are you talking about the Vintage Hillclimbs out in Hershey? My friend has run his 1959 Devin kit car out there for years, I'm hoping to make the next trip out.

As for the X, after plopping down $4k + for a new tranny, I'd be leary to race it to the end of my driveway.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I likey!
About how much were they, and what's the cost on the mufflers and tips only?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
I likey!
About how much were they, and what's the cost on the mufflers and tips only?
http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...-type-mina.htm

Old 03-30-2010, 07:46 PM
ud

Who cares what other people at the track think? I tracked my Camry for 2 years. Even with a huge intercooler, brakes and R compound tires people that didnt know me still looked at it like "WTF is this guy doing here??" By the end of the day I always had Corvette guys, Mustang guys, and JDM guys all converted to loving the Camry haha.
You're talking a track day not comp. racing. There is a big difference when rules and classes come into play. The X type just with any modern Jag is simply outclassed by the "nameless" here. The platforms just aren't the cream of the crop for the task at hand and that leads to the good drivers staying with the car of the year to run, learn and pass the set ups down to the lesser drivers. In the end those who stick with comp. racing want to win, it is why they are there, it is how they justify those countless nights changing, tweaking, and of course buying!

Now that said I do think the X type sport has a very good chance against a 330xi with the same driver. I still think it would probably come up about a .5 seconds short around an oval. Not bad but in racing that is an eternity!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
ud

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Are you talking about the Vintage Hillclimbs out in Hershey? My friend has run his 1959 Devin kit car out there for years, I'm hoping to make the next trip out.

As for the X, after plopping down $4k + for a new tranny, I'd be leary to race it to the end of my driveway.

Similar only modern cars. http://www.pahillclimb.org/ I know your buddies car, or at least have seen it there. Hershey is simply a blast to go to. Very similar to your Grand Prix, but really, how often do you see vintage race cars of all values going full out up a twisty narrow back road with hay bails set up to "slow" you from crashing down an embankment into a tree in an irreplacable car. EVERY vintage car should be treated to such a blissful life rather than stuck in a stuffy garage with an owner afraid to use it for what it was built with! Let me know if you go this spring. I'll look for ya. As for the tranny, that's why I stayed away from the auto. Learned my lesson with SVXi.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I've been hoping to get out there for a while now. I lived in PA for about 8 years and never went. I'm in Mass now and I'm trying to go. LOL Shoot me a PM or email if you do end up going, I might make a trip down, depending on schedule.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 PM

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that statement. I've tracked an SVT Contour and with some modifications it was an absolute terror. I'm hoping the X-Type will be similar. (Due to the similar platforms.)
Granted you can't just go out and pick on the closest Z06 you find, the car is great within a certain predetermined ideal. Personally I don't worry about who's faster than me (there's ALWAYS going to be somebody faster than you), I just go to have fun and pick on cars that don't expect it. I attended a BeaveRun track event and the only two cars faster than me were a twin turbo Rx7 and C5 Z06 on track rubber (I was still on street tires). Everything else couldn't get out of my way fast enough. You have to be realistic in your goals.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM

That's a really good point (two, really). One, I'd love to see them in real life (hell, I'd love to see all of ufoz car in real life). My opinion might dramatically change.
Two, the mufflers I have picked out are offered in a SS natural finish and a polished finish. The natural is about $50 apiece, the polished are close to $200. Is it worth the extra money for looks when I'm more concerned with sound and performance? Srsly, should I get the full polished and sacrifice other parts of my budget?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Yes its a full catback and as of yesterday, Magnaflow high flow cat equipped. Piping is 2.5 down the center, resonator and splits off into 2.25 and into the Mina mufflers. It definitely pulls harder now getting past 4000rpm, I honestly think the biggest difference was the horrible stock cat.
Basically what that tells me is that the stock exhaust is restrictive to the aftermarket in the higher RPM bands which may be where Mina is seeing the hp gains advertised. I agree with exex, if you're not revving the **** out of it you're not going to feel that. Personally, I love revving the **** out of it.

That's a seriously sweet looking Camry... [drool]

Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 AM
ud

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that statement. I've tracked an SVT Contour and with some modifications it was an absolute terror. I'm hoping the X-Type will be similar. (Due to the similar platforms.)
Granted you can't just go out and pick on the closest Z06 you find, the car is great within a certain predetermined ideal. Personally I don't worry about who's faster than me (there's ALWAYS going to be somebody faster than you), I just go to have fun and pick on cars that don't expect it. I attended a BeaveRun track event and the only two cars faster than me were a twin turbo Rx7 and C5 Z06 on track rubber (I was still on street tires). Everything else couldn't get out of my way fast enough. You have to be realistic in your goals.
And that Contour SVT is classed with cars that are just as much of a terror and .5 seconds faster. Again, the difference between track days and racing is simply one is for fun the other is to win. Saying "you have to be realistic in your goals" is what got Jaguar playing fiddle for the Germans to begin with.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I've been hoping to get out there for a while now. I lived in PA for about 8 years and never went. I'm in Mass now and I'm trying to go. LOL Shoot me a PM or email if you do end up going, I might make a trip down, depending on schedule.
Cool - I'll let you both know if I end up going out to the hillclimbs, I hear they are a blast. I'd love to rip that Devin up that course, but I'm 6'5" and don't fit!

And let me know if either of you guys come to the burgh for the VGP - I'm not sure what the marquee is this year but regardless it's a great time.

BeaveRun sure is a fun course. I've only run the tarmac once, and it was just some open lapping, but I've been out there many times to run the Dirt Days offroad courses.

Quick Reply: Mina Gallery exhaust with Porsche tips installed