X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire, Flashing CEL, Jerking, etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having a similar issue, rough idle, it seems like it only runs rough below 3k rpms and trying to accelerate, although I can accelerate past 3k rpms and it doesnt seem like i have too much of a power loss, the CEL starts flashing around 2200 rpms and the "Cruise not available" will come on but the CEL stops flashing and that cruise warning goes away if i let the engine idle for a few more seconds. the codes ive had pulled are P1314, P0306, P0302, P0305 which are misfires, on 2, 5 & 6 and an emissions leak, ive had the emissions leak for quite some time and never got around to fixing it, ive ordered 3 coils, new intake plenum gaskests, valve cover gaskets b/c i found a little oil in the plug bank closest to the right side front headlight, (still not sure what the cylinders are numbered) and 6 new egk platinum plugs, last summer i replaced the fuel filter, intake filter, pcv valve seems functional, i will update after i have replaced these items, but any tips as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Well I replaced the back 3 coils as well as all the plugs, intake plenum gaskets and valve cover gaskets. After this it was just misfiring on cylinder #2 and replaced that coil with a coil that wasnt misifiring from the back side of the engine and that has fixed things until the next 3 coils come in. #6 still has the same coil on it and isnt misfiring, after speaking with a mechanic friend, he told me that if a cylinder is misfiring, it can cause the opposing cylinder to show a misfire as well, which would explain why 5 and 6 were misfiring and after replacing #5 coil and plug that #6 isnt misfiring with the same coil.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you checked your battery? I had the same "issues" and found that the battery was going dead. Replaced it and the limp mode went away. That was last year, this year I'm having issues with the random misfires. Changed out the plugs, working on the coils,....

Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havn't been available to give much attention to this issue lately...

Still having same issue, in addition to everything addressed in previous posts, I replaced the entire fuel rail and injectors thinking that if the fuel filter had failed maybe the rail or injectors were clogged.

This did not fix the issue, still idling rough and flashing the CEl light. Is there any way to confirm rather the coils are the problem (before replacing them).

What else can I look at? ECU, Converter (clogged)???

Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so , when is this rough idle ? .
all the time or specific ?
if you fix the rough idle , you will fix the limp mode (acceleration sputter)

Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still searching...bound and determined to figure this (not a fan of taking to the shop if I stand to learn something)...eventhough this is proving to take longer than anticipated.

Inspected all wiring for noticable damage both in the engine bay and through the firewall. Saw evidence of a mouse in the cabin and thought maybe some wires got chewed. Did not see anything that stood right out. I understand there is a coil tester which is intalled between the coil and plu and lights up to indicate a properly operating coil. Guess I will track one down and give it a try in effort to isolate if this an electrical issue with the coil. Any other methos to confirm coil operation??? If not the cause, is there an easy way to isolate the converter from being the cause, short of dissessembly??? Guess, for good measure I'll through a new battery at it. Several people have mentioned that as a possible issue, eventhough the battery is fairly new and shows no sign of weekness.

Still trying to pick the right answer out of someone, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. If I end up having to get a ECU scan, is the dealer the only one that can perform this accuretly?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm having sort of the same issue, but my would sputter when started cold then clear up after a few seconds, but today, it won't start at all ???

Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM

There is a procedure for testing if the coils are getting power or if there is a short or bad connectivity, one wire has to be above 10.5v and the other 3 need to be below 5 ohms when testing the resistance to other components, this procedure is covered in the workshop manual, I believe there is a download for it on the first post in the x-type forum.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by zerochills
Brief history: 2003 X Type 141k mi. - Service every 7.5k, Mobil 1 5w/30

-performed an induction cleaning 600mi. ago; removed vacuum line from brake booster, put 1/2 can of seafoam through intake, let sit 20mi, blew out under heavy acceleration
-also have run the previous 2 tank of fuel (93oct) with techron fuel system cleaner
-CEL has been on for a few weeks, O2 sensore (bank 1 sensor1)

*yesturday noticed very slight roughness when at idle, this morning while commuting went to accelerate at highway speed - no acceleration responce, CEL started to flash, overall rough ride the remainder of the commute.
*this afternoon i replaced the spark plugs, being sure to check the intake o rings, PCV hose and all other vacuum hoses and connections.
***i did notice when pulling the plugs that 4 of the 6 had oil on the plug (??) also when putting the intake manifold back on oil leaked out (??)

certainly roughness is a misfire caused by the oil on the plugs, what would cause oil getting onto the plugs and into the intake manifold.

could it be meer bad timing or in relation to the induction cleaning. i have successfully performed induction cleanings on all of my vehicles for years, never with an issue similar to this.

what to look for now? would a bad coil (s) causing a misfire allow oil to enter the upper cylinder coating the plug and entering the intake?

not sure where to go from here, any help???

Thanks
If you were testing your fuel pressure correctly at the time you had very little pressure than it sounds like your fuel pump is on its way out. I would read fuel pressure when driving and WOT to see if you can find a pressure issue.