X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire Mystery

Pulled codes on my 2006 X type 3.0 two weeks ago after sidelining her for about a 2 months. It had gotten to the point where it did not idle smoothly and cut out badly at 3000 rpm. They were as follows.
0300-Cat Sys Bnk 2
0430-Cat Sys Bnk 1
0204-Injector Cir. Open Cyl
1316-Misfire
1313-Misfire
0305-Cyl 5 Misfire
0303-Cyl 3 Misfire
0301-Cyl 1 Misfire
1000-Drive Cyc. Misfire
In light of that feedback I ordered and replaced all 6 coils and plugs. Plugs were gapped to .049ish.
After, a little quicker response but still not smooth idle. Same lack of performance at 3000 rpm. Pulled codes again. This time a little different.
0304-Cyl 4
0303-Cyl 4 Misfire
0204-Injector Circ Open #4
1316-Misfire causing Excessive Emissions
1314-Misfire Rate Bank 2
Obviously something going on with #4. Removed and reset coil on 4 and checked plug gap.Pulled codes again. Same result. Any advice on next step would a big help. Picture just for visual model reference.

Old 10-29-2023, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Calvin, it would appear that you have alteast 2 problems (Cylinder 4 fueling and bank 1 spark).

When it comes to cylinder 4, I would start with doing an inspection of the wiring to the fuel injector to make sure there is no damage to the wiring. Next I would look at the terminals inside of the plug to make sure that they are a silver color (if not, use of a scribe will be needed to clean the terminals until they are silver in color again, some contact cleaner may help too). If all that checks out, then you will need to replace your fuel injector. If you are still having issues at this point, you either need to look at more of the wiring harness or the problem lies in the ECU.

As for the Bank 1 spark. I would say to start with inspecting the wiring harness to make sure you do not have something going on with that. Next, I would follow the wiring harness over to the passenger wheel well (for you) and look for the ground connection that is there for the coils. Undo the connection and take all the terminals and using a wire brush, some sand paper, contact cleaner, etc, clean all the surfaces back to a silver color and then reassemble the electrical ground.

I mention electrical wiring checks as little critters love to eat the insulation off of the wiring as it is created from a vegetable based and they find it very tasty. If you do find damaged wiring and are not sure how to repair, let me know and I will give you a few pointers.

On a side note, enjoy the area out there. I used to live north of you in Bremerton. Loved the area. Just not much in the way of jobs for me unless I want a government job working 60+ hours a week.

Old 10-29-2023, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Calvin, it would appear that you have alteast 2 problems (Cylinder 4 fueling and bank 1 spark).

When it comes to cylinder 4, I would start with doing an inspection of the wiring to the fuel injector to make sure there is no damage to the wiring. Next I would look at the terminals inside of the plug to make sure that they are a silver color (if not, use of a scribe will be needed to clean the terminals until they are silver in color again, some contact cleaner may help too). If all that checks out, then you will need to replace your fuel injector. If you are still having issues at this point, you either need to look at more of the wiring harness or the problem lies in the ECU.

As for the Bank 1 spark. I would say to start with inspecting the wiring harness to make sure you do not have something going on with that. Next, I would follow the wiring harness over to the passenger wheel well (for you) and look for the ground connection that is there for the coils. Undo the connection and take all the terminals and using a wire brush, some sand paper, contact cleaner, etc, clean all the surfaces back to a silver color and then reassemble the electrical ground.

I mention electrical wiring checks as little critters love to eat the insulation off of the wiring as it is created from a vegetable based and they find it very tasty. If you do find damaged wiring and are not sure how to repair, let me know and I will give you a few pointers.

On a side note, enjoy the area out there. I used to live north of you in Bremerton. Loved the area. Just not much in the way of jobs for me unless I want a government job working 60+ hours a week.
Thanks, I will chase that down. Curious that I now have a problem with #4 when it has never been a problem.
Yep, love it here in Gig Harbor. 35 years. Nice quiet community. Grew up in Tracyton on the edge of Bremerton.

Old 10-29-2023, 11:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Calvin, I can’t add anything to Thermo’s comments that are always spot on. To kick this thread sideways, what did you use on the intake? It looks great! Plus, probably not an issue but it looks like the clamp on the engine side of your PCV is not down where it should be.
Hope you get it worked out, keep us posted.
Jon

Old 10-29-2023, 06:48 PM

Thanks Jon,
This product, when finished looked very close to what I saw in a 2002 Motor Trend article on the x-type and a 2004 article on the same model at Netcarshow.com.(https://www.netcarshow.com/jaguar/20...llpaper_2c.htm)
I have a little more to touch up in the compartment. Excited to get this cat back on the road. Will chase down Thermo's suggestions tomorrow.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Calvin, if you were having a misfire problem on #4 cylinder, I would say that it was probably just the computer "guessing" as to which cylinder is misfiring. Keep in mind that the computer is trying to calculate when the cylinder's exhaust is hitting the O2 sensors so it can determine which cylinder is misfiring. Sometimes due to the engine RPM or other factors, it will incorrectly calculate the cylinder that is misfiring. But, because of this cyclinder being on the opposite side from the side that is giving misfires and you also have a code saying that the wiring has an issue, this would rule out the likelihood of it being a miscalculation.

Tracyton. Boy, that is a town name I haven't heard in years. We were practically neighbors then at some point. I lived right in that area of Bremerton from 92 through 02. Granted, I was a bit closer to the golf course than you were. OH the good old days. But, no way I am working for the switchyard being one of their testing engineers. Only way I would go back is if they promised me a job in the QA shop on Subase Kitsap.(aka, Subase Bangor)..

Old 10-31-2023, 04:58 PM

UPDATE:
Ordered 1 injector and upper and lower gaskets. Wiring looks solid. Rain forecast for 10 days here in the wonderful PNW. Hope to get back at it by Sunday.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:52 PM

Solved:
Got the #4 injector replaced as well as the upper and lower gaskets. Went with a reconditioned Bosch injector and Mahle gaskets. Everything fits as if OEM. Gaskets were excellent aftermarket part. This afternoon I crossed the fingers and turned the key. She fired right up and I could immediately tell that wonderful strong rev was back. Took it for a test drive and was quickly reminded why I love this car so much. Great response with no hesitation or misfire at 3000 rpm. After about a half hour of driving today the darn check engine light popped back on. Took it for a code check and got the following codes.
P1000:
I am guessing this may mean I just need some drive time to allow the computer to finish the emissions testing cycle. If I am off base here let me know.
P0420/0430:
I am sure the cat took some pretty nasty stuff these last few years. It was replaced about 5 years ago. I ordered some cat cleaner as a first step to see if this clears up. Advice welcome.
Otherwise, she's responding like a cat out of you know where. Much thanks to all who helped with ideas and advice. Its back on the daily driver list.