X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A modest upgrade to premium sound subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default A modest upgrade to premium sound subwoofer

Hey guys, just a quick post before I am able to add additional photos and info. If you have done any research on early premium sound you might know that the stock enclosure is comprised of an amp which powers a 6" driver along with a decoy driver. I discovered the amp in my wifes car was blown. So i took a chance on an $11 am on amazon by kinder which is popular online for powering 12" subs. this particular amp claims 500 watts and hosts 2 channels with a pretty ok low pass filter. The main plug going into the stock amp has a V+ ground and remote power signal while the rest of the wires are basically signals ( speaker wires spliced in from the head unit). I unpinned the 2 power and ground shown below and used some shrink wrap to protect the connections and plug it all into the other amp. The pin tension is pretty good to the new amp and they shouldn't rattle off. From there 2 banana plugs were used with speaker wire into the rca plugs and connected to random signal wire (basically whatever is left from the main plug). The output goes to the speaker itself. If something doesnt sound write swap wires back and forth as it may be dependent on what random signals you used. I have yet to mount the new amp permanently but it should be easy with a plate of aluminum and the stock holes. Overall im pretty impressed. The gain dial will allow you to most likely blow the stock driver if you crank it, so find the distortion point and then back it off. I may try and run to drivers as im sure the amp will take it. Anyways, ill be back with more soon.

Unpin the stock pins with two staples wedged into the sides. It takes a bit of pressure to pull them out.

The connections should be black, blue, light blue top to bottom. All those other wires are speaker wires.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Zues, I find your impression of the amp kinda different than the below video. From the video I found, the power that you are getting is no where near the 500 watts that it claims. Per the video, using power measuring equipment, the best the amp could do is 15 watts peak per channel (5.3 watts RMS). Granted, I will give that the amp during the test was being run off of a battery at 12.6 VDC where your car will be up at 13.7 VDC. So, this will allow a little bit more power to be obtained. I always find these mini amps to be very questionable for 2 reasons. The big one being that to get accurate power, it takes a fair amount of power to just amplify the signal to get it to the point that you can get the signal to a power boost stage which means the amp should be generating some heat and with the limit cooling area, the amp will cook itself in no time flat. The second thing being that I have found a lot of amp company overstate what the amp is capable of to make it appear that you are getting more bang for your buck than you are really getting. In this case, it is very obvious.

If you want a really good amp, look at the ones he has in the background (the Orion HCCA225 and the Phoenix Gold amp). While these are old school, those are some of the best amps that you can ever think about buying. Their ratings were actually under stated and could be pushed well beyond what you would think they could take. I loved the Orion speakers I had and the Soundstream amps.

As for the video, here you go: