Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

i mean, ho do i install them, take them off and on

Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New HID Lights

Well, these are finally done. Low beams only. I didn't realize how big of a project it was going to be. Maybe on some cars it's simple, but not on my '02 X Type.

There is so little room to work that the front bumper and tires were removed. Then I found out that some of the plastic pieces in the headlights were broken, so I had to order a new pair from Jaguar. Finding a place for the ballasts was really a chore too.

Anyway, they're in and working fine. I decided to get them from a company in Canada http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y because they actually had a bricks and mortar store besides a web site. They also sell individual components like bulbs and ballasts. One problem I had was that the bulbs (supposed to be Phillips) were slightly loose in the housing so I had to secure then with some fine wire that looks like it will last forever.

I got 6500K bulbs which are mostly white with a touch of blue. They give out a lot of light down the road. I could have gone with a 5000K set which would have been whiter and given off more light, but I like the hint of blue. Cost: $199.00.

Attached Thumbnails modified Xtypes only-jaguar-x-type-3.0.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCK1
Well, these are finally done. Low beams only. I didn't realize how big of a project it was going to be. Maybe on some cars it's simple, but not on my '02 X Type.

There is so little room to work that the front bumper and tires were removed. Then I found out that some of the plastic pieces in the headlights were broken, so I had to order a new pair from Jaguar. Finding a place for the ballasts was really a chore too.

Anyway, they're in and working fine. I decided to get them from a company in Canada http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y because they actually had a bricks and mortar store besides a web site. They also sell individual components like bulbs and ballasts. One problem I had was that the bulbs (supposed to be Phillips) were slightly loose in the housing so I had to secure then with some fine wire that looks like it will last forever.

I got 6500K bulbs which are mostly white with a touch of blue. They give out a lot of light down the road. I could have gone with a 5000K set which would have been whiter and given off more light, but I like the hint of blue. Cost: $199.00.
good job,
i hope 2 C your new projects here in this thread soon
KEEP IT UP

Old 09-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

I am toying around with a new idea for K'Re Ann (my X). Take a look at the below pic and tell me what you think. I am kinda torn as I can see potential, but it isn't quite what I had visualized in my head.

This is using the factory rims. The final product would be painted vice what you see here which is tape applied to the rim. So, the final product would have more refined lines and be much smoother in appearance. Don't sugar coat it, let me know what you think. Think it would look better if the black (taped) part was done in the body color? I'm not a big fan of color matched rims. It looks good on some cars, but I can't see it on this one.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Default Wheels

Leave the original wheels alone - they look great.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Agree

That doesn't work or me either, leave stock. I have seen other similar aftermarket wheels that do look good but that idea isn't it. Just my opinion.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely not, I think its because the color has no where to go. If the wheel was a 2 piece and had a polished lip it may look good, this way the color combo would be inset and hidden slightly by the appearance of the lip.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Ok, leave it alone it is. Part of what I thought about adding to it was extending the silver down on to the tire itself to almost make it appear that you are running on the spokes. But, again, I think I was taking things too far and was just ruining the overall effect that I was after.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do 6000k HID headlights count?
im going to be putting 6000k fogs in too and tryin to convince my gf to let me tint the sidemarkers, and tail lights...its her car.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thermo
I am toying around with a new idea for K'Re Ann (my X). Take a look at the below pic and tell me what you think. I am kinda torn as I can see potential, but it isn't quite what I had visualized in my head.

This is using the factory rims. The final product would be painted vice what you see here which is tape applied to the rim. So, the final product would have more refined lines and be much smoother in appearance. Don't sugar coat it, let me know what you think. Think it would look better if the black (taped) part was done in the body color? I'm not a big fan of color matched rims. It looks good on some cars, but I can't see it on this one.
Paint the accents the same color as your car, that would look better than black.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruddigger
Paint the accents the same color as your car, that would look better than black.
yes i guess it will look better to

Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a few mods...

The usual stuff... wheels/suspension/gps/lights.

Coming soon... Coilovers, 19s with aggressive fitments. Im usually a Nissan guy, so proper fitting wheels are a must. My current wheels are pretty flush but it can be way better. My fenders are already rolled, going to do a slight pull to accommodate some 9.5 rears.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stretching the rear fenders could be interesting. But with the fender lip being so close to the door, I dunno.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 AM
Default Wheels

Originally Posted by ufoz8mycow
I have a few mods...

The usual stuff... wheels/suspension/gps/lights.

Coming soon... Coilovers, 19s with aggressive fitments. Im usually a Nissan guy, so proper fitting wheels are a must. My current wheels are pretty flush but it can be way better. My fenders are already rolled, going to do a slight pull to accommodate some 9.5 rears.
Great wheels in the photo. Could you supply info on brand, size and where you bought them?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 AM

Where are you guys getting your HID's from? I want to do Hi's, Lo's and Fogs. Also, what is the bulb type for the Running lights (closest to the grille).

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Tailor: You can get the HID upgrade kits from ebay for around £40, Which running lights are you on about? the small sidelights or actual headlights? The sidelight bulbs are 501's.
If you do buy yourself an HID kit make sure you go for mid range temp. I.e. 6000K or 8000K. If you buy the higher temp ones they are more blue than white. If I remember correctly it's 6000K that's closest to natural sunlight. Well worth doing though, best mod I've ever done.

EXTERIOR:
Removed bumper chromes,
Black upper/lower front mesh grilles,
Black grille surround,
Black chrome leaper,
HID conversion (headlights/Main beam, 8000K),
LED bulbs all round,
Smoked side repeaters,
Custom rear lights,
Tinted rear windows (5%),
18" deep dish Team Dynamics alloy wheels,
K&N panel filter (With airbox mod)
K&N oil filter,
Front wind deflectors.

Attached Thumbnails modified Xtypes only-hid-headlights.jpg   modified Xtypes only-jagleaper1.jpg   modified Xtypes only-x-type-rear.jpg   modified Xtypes only-jaguar24.jpg   modified Xtypes only-jaguar8.jpg  

Last edited by l17led; 10-14-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by l17led
Tailor: You can get the HID upgrade kits from ebay for around £40, Which running lights are you on about? the small sidelights or actual headlights? The sidelight bulbs are 501's.
If you do buy yourself an HID kit make sure you go for mid range temp. I.e. 6000K or 8000K. If you buy the higher temp ones they are more blue than white. If I remember correctly it's 6000K that's closest to natural sunlight. Well worth doing though, best mod I've ever done.

Thanks so much for the advice. The running lights are the circular ones closest to the center grille. Not the ones on the side. They are kinda brownish currently and I would like to upgrade them with some Hoen bulbs. I guess I mean the ones that are located in the Hi-Beam housing. Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

EXTERIOR:
Removed bumper chromes,
Black upper/lower front mesh grilles,
Black grille surround,
Black chrome leaper,
HID conversion (headlights/Main beam, 8000K),
LED bulbs all round,
Smoked side repeaters,
Custom rear lights,
Tinted rear windows (5%),
18" deep dish Team Dynamics alloy wheels,
K&N panel filter (With airbox mod)
K&N oil filter,
Front wind deflectors.
NICE arden badge, did u get that from there site, and where did u find the black mesh inserts, did ur car come with the grille frame painted black witht the jag symbol or was that custom

Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 PM

TAILOR: You can fit HID's in the main beam, they don't spread as wide as the normal halogen bulbs but it's good light, I used the same sets in my headlights and main beams.

DISCO STU: The Aarden badge was part of a set from the Adamesh.com site, £70. I think you get 1 large, 2 medium and 1 small, that's a medium (supposed to be a front wing badge). Nicked it from my dad. LOL. I got the mesh grilles from adamesh.com too, £160 for the pair.
Really good stuff. My car came with a chrome grille but my dad bought the '09 grille so I nicked his. I got a Jag so he had to have one. LOL

Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

TAILOR: You can fit HID's in the main beam, they don't spread as wide as the normal halogen bulbs but it's good light, I used the same sets in my headlights and main beams.

DISCO STU: The Aarden badge was part of a set from the Adamesh.com site, £70. I think you get 1 large, 2 medium and 1 small, that's a medium (supposed to be a front wing badge). Nicked it from my dad. LOL. I got the mesh grilles from adamesh.com too, £160 for the pair.
Really good stuff. My car came with a chrome grille but my dad bought the '09 grille so I nicked his. I got a Jag so he had to have one. LOL
LOL thats awesome dude, i wish my dad drove a jag

Quick Reply: modified Xtypes only