X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mouse in Engine Bay, Sensor Wires Chewed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Mouse in Engine Bay, Sensor Wires Chewed

It looks like a mouse spent some time in my engine bay and chewed on the hood liner and also some wires to a sensor. I have attached some pictures for both. I cleaned out the nest, but my question is which sensor is this, and how can I replace the connector to this sensor? Also, should I replace the whole liner, or can this be somehow fixed (or just left as is)?

Old 11-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

sawduster, the sensor in question is your "manifold pressure sensor". As for fixing the wiring, I see 2 solutions for you. The more expensive way is you end up buying a new engine bay harness and end up replacing the whole thing. Not knowing it 100%, you may be able to get a smaller section to replace, but the wrecking yard will more than likely charge you for the whole harness as you have effectively made the rest of the harness useless as they see it.

Option 2 is to go to your local auto parts place (Napa is normally best for this sort of stuff) and figure out what type of pin is used in the connector in question. You should be able to pick up a package of like 10 pins for a few bucks. Next, you will need to note which wire goes into which hole in the connector. You will then need to remove the pins from the connector (there are normally 2 small retainers that you will need to depress to get the pins out, look at the new pins to see where these are). At this point, you will need to get your hands on some stuff called "Raychem-050". This is heat shrink on steroids. I say to use this as it has a glue on the inside of it that will seal the heat shrink to the insulation of the wire, making it as if the wire was never cut. Then what you are going to do is get 2 wires (preferably different colors) that are long enough to bridge between the connector and where the mouse chewed through. You will then cut back a little further, strip the wire to expose good wiring and then joint the new wires to the ones you just stripped using a butt connector. You will then want to cut a piece of Raychem that is about 4 inches long and slide it over the butt connector (may find it easier to slide the Raychem over the new wires before crimping the butt connector). Center the butt connector under the Raychem and then using a heat gun or lighter, heat up the Raychem to make it shrink. Keep applying heat till you see a little orange "donut" (small bulge of the glue that will make a small circle on the end of the Raychem that looks like a miniature donut). Attach the new pins to the new wires and then insert them into the connector (making sure to note the extended wire in a given hole in the connector is connected to the color wire you noted at the very beginning. It is a lot of steps, but it is really easy to do it.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thermo, thanks for advice. I looked at the connector more closely today, and as I disconnected the plug the wire broke completely (see photo below). The wire color is green so I assume its a ground wire. I also took a photo of the plug as shown below. Ideally, I would like to get a new plug, and I ordered a sensor with connector still attached that looks like it may have a salvageable connector. For now, I tried to solder the two wires together but there was not much to work with.
I am curious as to how essential this sensor is to running the engine?

Old 11-06-2019, 05:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

This sensor is pretty crucial to the motor running efficiently. This is one of the main sensors that the motor uses to calculate the amount of air entering the engine. With that being said, you can unplug the sensor and the engine will still run. But, you may find that your mileage may not be quite as good as it could be.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts

Jaguar X Type MAP Sensor is a sensor that calculates pressure in your vehicle's intake pipe. A nonfunctional Jaguar X Type MAP Sensor can reduce the car or truck's motor function. A functioning Jaguar X Type MAP Sensor is critical in maintaining legal state pollution levels. The main function of your vehicle's Jaguar X Type MAP Sensor is to give the ECU the information it needs to combine fuel with air in the right ratio.