X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG seems really low. What do you think???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently went from my house (Bloomsburg Pa.) to Harrisburg, Pa. When I got home I filled up. Sat there and did the math, the computer readout said I was getting 27, all highway except a couple miles in town. The math said 27.3 miles a gallon. It's pretty close, if you use it as an average, you still get the idea of what your getting. When I first became a member here, I read a thread that said resetting the computer every once in awhile would help get a correct reading on your mileage. I do this every couple of months, doesn't seem to hurt anything. It's like resetting your phone or computer at home, your clearing the memory. In the cars computer system cleaning the memory gives it a chance to recalabrate itself on it's own information. My 2 cents...LOL

Old 03-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type
Yea something is definitely wrong. I filled up and have been 90% driving expressway ON CRUISE CONTROL and right now im just over a half tank and at 92 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF is goin on.

Im feeling a huge drag on the car, not sure if its because its AWD but when backing up and letting off the gas, the car feels like its brakeing? Maybe in my head but i feel its a little much, not like most cars. I wonder if its because my rear driver wheel looks to be off on toe too. Its kinda toed out, which would make the wheels kinda look like this but horizontal....\ / but obviously not as dramatic.

I dont know, im tired of complaining about it. But i will have pretty much everything back in order in about a week. See how much improvement there is. But thanks everyone for giving me a base line of where it should be.
Just wanted to share my experience.
My 03 had similar drag - let off gas and the car felt like some one pulled parking brake gently. It also fought turning tight corners, like the tires were chirping when parking. My mileage dropped to something like 14mpg from normal of 22mpg.
I wasn't sure but what broke the camel's back was the howling noise that sounded like the prop shafter center bearing but 30 time louder.
Turned out my transfer case needed replacing. I don't know which part of TC went bad besides the Viscous Coupler but after it was replaced all was good again.

Now in the middle of Michigan winter, and my wife driving(!), it gets 20mpg. In spring/fall and sometimes when I'm behind the wheel, I get 25mpg combined city/hwy.

BTW, I share this as a Jag tech shared with me - switch to mid-grade gasoline when temp falls below 50degF. According to that tech this avoids driveability issues during cold weather. I suspect it also improves the fuel economy in winter if you are not '*******' it. I switch back to premium when it gets above 50degF consistently.

Last edited by TonyX; 03-04-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hi all i have been getting 25 mpg since i have had my 3L x type on A trip which i have not reset and B trip i have had 30mpg on a recent trip 500 miles to London/Oxford/Britol so stop all yor gripes if you want fuel econony buy a gewizz or a small diesel

Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Try resetting the trip computer next time you fill up. Note your mileage. If you haven't done that in awhile the MPG won't change very much, so it's hard to gauge what you are getting at any given time. When you fill up the next time note your mileage and how much gas you put in. That will tell you just what your mileage is. The gas gauge is meant as a reference and can vary a bit, especially whenit gets around a half a tank. Just curious, when you add gas do you fill the tank completely full or do you run it down until there are fumes in the tank and then only fill it part way?
I never drive around with a low tank as I hear it can burn out the pumps but then again this car had a previous owner. But I usually fill it up with 35 to 40 bucks wich gets me about 10 or 12 gallons or so.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I rarely let the distance to empty fall below 100 until I fill it up. Recently I absentmidedly let it get down to less than 25 miles. That is the lowest it's ever been since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. When I filled it up it took the better part of the day for the guage to finally reach the full mark. Until then it was reading a little less than half a tank and was ever so slowly going up. I remember a couple threads on hear about the gas gauge on here doing some weird things. Maybe the previous owner always ran it virtually empty befor adding some gas. Not sure if doing that regularly has any long term effects on teh gas gauge.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I rarely let the distance to empty fall below 100 until I fill it up. Recently I absentmidedly let it get down to less than 25 miles. That is the lowest it's ever been since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. When I filled it up it took the better part of the day for the guage to finally reach the full mark. Until then it was reading a little less than half a tank and was ever so slowly going up. I remember a couple threads on hear about the gas gauge on here doing some weird things. Maybe the previous owner always ran it virtually empty befor adding some gas. Not sure if doing that regularly has any long term effects on teh gas gauge.
Is there a way to test if the sender is working properly?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

used to get 23-27, now im geting 16.8....wtf. Beats me