X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first breakdown...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my first breakdown...

Thats the same exact issue I have, the thermostat fixed it?? Mine never went into limp mode though. But its annoying to see all the dash warning lights go on every time I get on the freeway...

Someone else in this forum seemed to have a similar problem and he said that the engine was just running lean??

Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

holy crap does that sound like a ripoff. now i don't know much about the jag engine, but on average a thermostat is under $10 at any auto parts store and installs on the top of the engine where the upper hose from the radiator connects to it. usually, it is only 2 bolts that hold the hose one. remove the hose, pull the thermostat, insert new one, replace bolts. on every single car i have ever owned, and i have changed a thermostat on all of them, it has taken me less than 10 mins to do so.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

lol...
You need to be nicer to the mechanics and get them to work on the side for you. You could have saved 200 bucks...

Jag labor rate is about 90+ an hr. (100 at my dealer)
Changing the thermostat is very time consuming believe it or not. And checking and clearing engine codes to be sure is at least a 1/2 hr min charge labor + service.

Bleeding the system so that you don't get an air pocket and melt your head gasket is very critical, that's why they ran it and also to make sure that was the problem.

Paying for anything like that is painful especially when you watch them and it looks so easy (which it is) but you're pressed for time and can't do it...

It's not just jag, it's all newer autos.

My kid took his SS Cobalt in to replace the supercharger pulley......little pulley with a belt.....took all of 30 minutes....but because they needed a special tool to remove the pulley bolts it was extra....total cost 250.....WOW

Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed the thermostat in my 97 monte carlo and it sucked! Changed the thermostat on my 94 f150 and it was extremely easy. The newer cars have gotten harder. My first car when I was 16 I bought on my own in 02' that was a 84 phoenix was super duper easy!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer changed out a Coolant Temp Sensor for $80 bucks today, said thats what was causin my high engine temp warning light to come on after driving highway speeds. Never went into limp mode, but the dealer said it would have happened eventually...Good I caught it early.