X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Jaguar Rides Like a Shopping Cart~????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I've had a crappy ride for a while now but thats partially my fault due to the installation of H&R springs on the stock comfort shocks. I've had a horrible ride and I've been told that my shocks and struts are completely blown as well as my strut mounts. Since you aren't lowered though, I'd still recommend looking at the strut mounts and the struts. As I remember when I had 16's the ride was very comfortable so there's definitely something wrong with your picture.
He's got a sport so he does have the lower springs.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Handling

Originally Posted by CraftyMpls
so, your telling me that this shopping cart can handle turns pretty well doing 50 MPH?
Thanks Sidewalkman
Yep, like a train on a track, My car has slight understeer, but easily compensated for, as you can feel it coming on in enough time to adjust.

" always find the apex of the turn first, and brake before you go into a fast turn."

Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Smile Handling

Yes, but a clarification, you should know how to drive at speed cornering, finding the apex when to brake and when to accelerate. I took some driving lessons down at Limerock, CT back in the 90's so I learned this stuff.

Almost forgot, not to go into a turn at 50mph if the turn and or car won't handle that speed in the turn, this is the judgment part you are taught at driving school. Limitations was one of the big things at school. You need to know your cars and yours.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you may want to consider swapping out to non sport suspension components.
look into KYB shocks, or monroe. KYB sometimes has stiffer shocks, i havent checked for the jag but for the Cadillac CTS they only make the softride suspension.
your springs may be different than the base model X-type as well.
rims and tires will make a big difference, there are plenty people on here that like the 17 and 18" rims so you may be able to make a quick and easy trade for some stock 16s with some bigger sidewalls to soak up the potholes.

Originally Posted by PaulB
Interesting, I was wondering the same thing. My Crown Vic is like sitting on the couch going for a drive. Even though the ride is much softer my Jaguar is much smoother at higher speed turns.
crown vic has air suspension, small wheels, big tires. you wouldnt feel a thing if you ran over a person, forget about potholes lol

Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My grandparents really enjoy a soft, cushiony suspension setup.....

Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Lol

Originally Posted by CraftyMpls
so, your telling me that this shopping cart can handle turns pretty well doing 50 MPH?
I have the sport suspension and I live in NY where there's lots of potholes and general roughage on the roads at this time of year - it does ride kinda rough, and you have to be careful to avoid them when possible. The ride may not be as smooth as other cars (by design), but it corners like it has claws and it is by far the nicest shopping cart I have had the pleasure of owning and driving.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatBag
I have the sport suspension and I live in NY where there's lots of potholes and general roughage on the roads at this time of year - it does ride kinda rough, and you have to be careful to avoid them when possible. The ride may not be as smooth as other cars (by design), but it corners like it has claws and it is by far the nicest shopping cart I have had the pleasure of owning and driving.
Up here if I hit a pothole and it wrecks my wheel or my tires I can get the city to pay. I love socializm!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Smile Ride

Originally Posted by MeatBag
This ride is a no cost option on these cars. I have the touring suspension and it rides rough. However, I did find out I had worn bushings on the front and rear swaybars, had them changed and the car does ride a bit better. Remember you also have low profile tires as I do, I have 17 inch low profiles which are not the greatest at absorbing bumps. It wouldn't hurt to have your suspension checked. I have a 03 with only 23046 miles on it when I bought the car and the bushings were worn already.So Longevity is not a strong suit with the suspension, IMHO. But as I said this ride is a no cost option.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

These cars are no stiffer than standard fare when driving almost any car in Europe - or outside of North America for that matter. Our consumers demand cushy, poor handling cars and since we can't go over 60 on most freeways, it is still relatively safe to have crappy suspensions. In Germany or neighboring countries of Germany, this doesn't work.

Oh, and I love j_bond's chaotic font sizing.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 PM

The only thing I notices about my touring suspension, when you get above 80mph, 85mph the front end gets light. I had a Porsche do that, but that had the engine and drive train in the back. A car like the X shouldn't get that light lifting feeling.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Up here if I hit a pothole and it wrecks my wheel or my tires I can get the city to pay. I love socializm!
have you ever tried to file a claim?
better hope its not in a construction zone because they direct you to the sub contracted company who says they are not liable.
if its a city negligence they will also review the claim and then usually deny it and send you a letter saying sorry for your inconvenience however the issue has been repaired and that you are still responcible for safe driving or something along those lines...
speaking from experience with this in ontario.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
These cars are no stiffer than standard fare when driving almost any car in Europe - or outside of North America for that matter. Our consumers demand cushy, poor handling cars and since we can't go over 60 on most freeways, it is still relatively safe to have crappy suspensions. In Germany or neighboring countries of Germany, this doesn't work.

Oh, and I love j_bond's chaotic font sizing.

I'm under the impression JeRemY HATES mE.

Jeremy has been so helpful with all of my annoying queries, you should all know he is a very 'stand-up guy.'

Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by j_bond
I'm under the impression JeRemY HATES mE.

Jeremy has been so helpful with all of my annoying queries, you should all know he is a very 'stand-up guy.'
I LOVE ANYONE WHO REMINDS ME OF THIS

Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 AM

LMAO!!!!!

I love this forum

The benz forums are so stuffy.......

Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM

I've driven cars in Germany, France, England, North Africa, Greece, Malta. Euro cars are smaller on average than NA cars, diesel engines for the most part and as I remember for there size they drove quite well. That includes everything for Mercedes, to Fiats and once a Ferrari, which by the way had a terrible ride, hard to shift and general uncomfortable car. It was a new at the time 308.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am about to replace the tires on my (new to me) 07 X-type. I am looking to quiet down the tires and expect a smoother ride.

The car I purchased has mismatched tires on it and the back tires are Chinese crap tires.

I will let you all know what happens.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by brucelee
The car I purchased has mismatched tires on it and the back tires are Chinese crap tires.
If Bruce Lee says Chinese tires are crap, he'll get no argument from me!

Seriously, before you buy tires, if you want a smoother and quieter ride, switch to the narrower stock size 16" wheels. Just know you're sacrificing performance for comfort (except for snow, in which case you WANT a narrower tread). My winter tires are 16" and I absolutely love them.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I changed out the sport struts & shocks . I went with the regular ride . solve the problem, whole new car rides like a jag not a go cart.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am just back from picking up the car. I put General Altimax tires on (all season touring tire) and the difference is profound. The biggest difference is in the noise level. I actually thought I had a bad wheel bearing or tow.

Noise is gone, as is the jarring ride. Man, tires matter!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I drive an '03 X-Type 3 Litre Auto, and my sister has an '02 2.5 Auto. The biggest difference I notice is that she has the 'Sport' suspension, and I have the 'Cushy Tushie' regular one, and the difference in ride quality is dramatic! I didn't say 'handling quality' , as I think that's a bit more subjective, and neither of us drive at anywhere near the limits of the cars. My sister's came with P-Zeros (since changed to Conti Bravuris) and I swear, you could feel a painted line on the pavement. Even with the tire pressure reduced to the comfort range, I was reluctant to even consider an X until I drove (mine) with the standard suspension. I'm running P-6s at 30 psi all around. I have an XK8 as a reference point, and while I would admit that the X's suspension flusters a bit on really bad surfaces (sadly, not uncommon here in the arctic) it hardly wallows like a Crown Vic. I blame the shocks most for the unforgiving ride in the '02, and have convinced Sis to change them for some more compliant ones now that she has driven my car. Will report on the difference, subjective as it may be, with apologies to the sportier members. ;-)

Quick Reply: My Jaguar Rides Like a Shopping Cart~????