X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my sunroof button is tripppping!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my sunroof button is tripppping!!

So..
the sunroof button doesn't open or do anything when I push the "open" side it doesnt do anything..
but when i push the button to close it or pop the back up, it wont do anything if i push it all the way to the automatic part..
BUT when i push it to manually close it, it pops the back open, but then closes and opens the sunroof all the way, then closes it...
basically it cycles through all the modes and keeps cycling until I let go...

wtf!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: my sunroof button is tripppping!!

Yeah, wtf?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

try this:
[ol][*]Press the sunroof switch forward to move the sliding roof panel into the tilted position.[*]Release the sunroof switch.[*]Press and hold the sunroof switch forward until the sliding roof panel moves slightly. This may take 30 seconds or more.[*]Release the sunroof switch.[*]Immediately press and hold the sunroof switch in the forward position. The sliding roof panel will move down and rearward to the open position, and then forward into the closed position. Do not release the sunroof switch until the sliding roof panel has stopped completely. [/ol]

Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 X-type just started having the EXACT same problem about a month ago. I have to control all the sunroof functions through the forward button. Very frustrating. I'm going to try McJaguar's suggestion tomorrow. McJaguar, do you know what caused this by any chance?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing the other day. I just kept pushing the button randomly and it started working. I know, its a girl thing to do, but Im a girl and it worked. [sm=smiley17.gif]

Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Kilroy

McJaguar, do you know what caused this by any chance?
no, I've no idea. But I had the same thing happen on my '02, and (said quietly while rolling my eyes) I had the entire upper pod torn apart and was about to drop the headliner when I decided to see what Google knew about the problem.... and that's where I found those instructions, which fixed mine.

Apparently it's a 'misalignment' that causes the problem. What caused the misalignment? No clue. I wouldn't even be able to tell you what part is misaligned....

I guess my car is smarter than I am. [:@]

Old 10-24-2008, 05:39 PM

yea it does sound like it could be misaligned..
it clicks when i press the forward button when its already tilted..
ill try that

Old 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

line... self explanitory.
align two line that are matched.
misaligned.. well that is not aligned.

so if you are wondering the cause of the alignment.. seems to me that you would first need to see or measure two things that have a line on them (edge of car body roof vs edge of sunroof panel?) and then look for a cause. If you dont understand the problem.. you have no business looking for a solution.

randomly pressing buttons and claiming a solution is just lightyears away from having any understanding a cause.

There was a post way back from FJy about the reset procedure, and after several posts it was still never clear about the actual procedure.

the sunroof switch has 5 positions...
1) neutral..
2) move fwd to tilt roof (halfpress) ...
3) auto tilt to max open (full press)
4) move rearward to slide roof (half press)
5) auto slide to max open (full press)

if you are going to give instructions... you need to make is clear.. otherwise a bunch of bubble headed jag owners are going to start pressing their buttons totally randomly and each of them claiming a solution.

the computer that reacts to how you press the switch is not so bubble headed... it only follows the instructions that are programmed into it.
Okay BO: knock yourself out. YOU tell us what is out of alignment? Go ahead, in your Smarty-pants condescending tone, tell us what is causing the misalignment that Jaguar saw fit to give us a solution to, without completely identifying the cause?

"If I don't understand the cause, then I have no business looking for a solution?" That's about the most ***-backwards thinking I've heard since the last presidential debate. No, really. If I don't understand the cause, you're suggestion then is to give-up on it? Don't offer anything? Don't suggest anything? Don't look for any solution? Really? Just leave everything the way it is? A sunroof that doesn't close?

It's very easy to sit there in your anonymity and be condescending with your lame-attempt-at-humor definitions of words we all udnerstand.... but you have not added anything of value to the conversation, nor have you tried to offer any help. You've simply belittled those who HAVE tried to help.
And it's not 'randomly pushing buttons'. It's the re-alignment procedure, as defined by Jaguar.

Geesh! Somebody **** in your wheaties today?

Old 10-25-2008, 02:51 PM

McJaguar,

Thanks for your help. I followed your suggested and it fixed the problem, saving me god knows how much at the Jag dealer.

Kilroy

Old 10-25-2008, 03:21 PM

Glad to hear it!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:50 PM

wow. dood. Really. I'd say calm down a bit. Back away from the Decaf, or whatever it is that's got you so uptight!

It appears that my instructions were at the very least sufficient to allow at least TWO of us to use them, with complete success. IE: Problem solved.

Nobody was asking me to write a set of instructions for a FAQ. Nor am I auditioning for "American Technical Writer"... which would make a horrible reality T.V. show, if you ask me.

I applaud your efforts at trying to be as precise as possible, and also (apparently) to put as much information as possible into the FAQ's.
However: If Kilroy had been waiting on YOU to help him with this situation, he'd still be waiting on you... rather than enjoying a properly closed sunroof. Wouldn't he?

So, MAYBE, just MAYBE there's enough room here to allow somebody to help somebody else without it having to meet your criteria of proper word usage and Engineer-correct-technical jargon. Ya think? Here's what this 'could' look like....

"Hey Kilroy: There are actually 5 switch positions, which could result in McJag's instructions confusing you. I'm trying to get a more technically-correct set of instructions so that this can be rectified, then we'll add them to the FAQ. In the meantime, don't park in the rain! By the way, this could take awhile, because I'm very busy writing scathing retorts directed at people who are trying to help you, without the slightest idea of what caused your problem, and who don't share my passion for excellence in forum posting"

or something like that.

And by the way: when you say
original: BoJangles
If you dont want to join the effort to be precise, I dont care... I will carry on regardless.
you make it sound like this is a crusade you're on, and if I don't join, then I'm the enemy.
Let me assure you that this is the first I've heard of your 'cause', and while I appreciate your evangelical zeal, I have no use for it myself.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:38 AM

i started a fight..
lol...

still haven't tried the procedure..
will do it tomorrow morning..

but geeze.
calm down guys!
we're all friends helping friends here!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 PM

I just tried it..
and it worked..
lol..

Thanks McJag!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM

yea.. there are two positions.
in each direction.

to realign you only click to the first positions and follow mcjags procedure.
aka.. NOT the automatic open click

Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 PM

Do You Feel The Love Out There[sm=love.gif]

Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 AM

This topic is more intertaining to me rather than a problem solving hehehehe...for all I know I have the same problem with my sunroof that recently just mal functioned pretty much similar to rosemond's, my forward switch to close the sunroof works but the backward direction to close the sunroof or tilt doesn't respond at all. It is my normal habit to play with the switch over and over until maybe it will fix itself, but trying Mcjaguars instructions, whith my freakin surprised it works and fixed the problem.

I dont see any argument in here who writes a better instruction, it works for me......

Quick Reply: my sunroof button is tripppping!!