X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My very first 2002 xtype Jag

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My very first 2002 xtype Jag

HI all, I just on to this forum and all the popel sound great.

I just picked up my 2002 x-type and have been doing some research and I am quite nervous to say the leaset, Edmunds web site did not have to many nice things to say about the 2002 Jag, many issues and parts problem...I dont want ot be discouraged and usually the forum folk now best lol. I have to say my jag is standard and it is quick in 2nd and 3rd and 4th really fun,exciting..and I kinda of love it...do I need deep pockets...please give me your feedback...I really want to keep the all wheel drive monster :-)

Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a bit new to Jaguars also.

I too was a bit dismayed by reading the forums here; It seems like everyone has problems. I think it's just because people tend start threads more often then not only when there is a problem.

So far no problems with my car.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the general feeling around here is that Edmunds can just stick it! Except that we have them partly to thank for the fact that we can pick up such great little cars for not so much money. The X is based on a very successful and well-regarded Ford car, and Jag put a stunning body and interior on it. True, the transfer case would seem to be a bit of a trouble spot, but a whole bunch of dedicated owners and tinkerers have found procedures and preventative maintenance to pretty well put that one to rest. It's a very complex car; rewarding, but complex. It rarely seems to strand anyone, but little glitches can be annoying, and expensive; particularly if you have to rely on a Dealer. That's why you'll find this forum so valuable- there's not much that can happen to your car that someone here hasn't experienced, and probably fixed, before. You'd be amazed at what you can tackle knowing help and guidance is just a mouse-click away. This is my second Jag, which means I knew exactly what I was getting into, and I couldn't be happier. If we posted every time we came back from a drive with a big, fat grin on our faces there wouldn't be enough room on this forum for bitching.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Congrats, don't forget to check in FAQs and stick to Thermo's advices
Generally, most people -including me - come over forums to tell about problems and look for solutions and therefore they need to post such messages , don't let these threads discourage you

Old 07-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Glenn, first off, welcome to the forums. We do ask that you stop by the "New Member" section and give us a little bit about yourself. We are a friendly bunch around here and I think you will see we like to get to know each other. Contrary to whatever image that might be out there.

As for the car, yes, the car can be very fun to drive, but the big issue with the car is the transfer case (as you probably read about). The skinny on it can be put very simply: drive hard, deep pockets, drive sensibly, last forever. The transfer case can last a long time, but we have found through various means that the transfer case flexes a lot under heavy load. This flexing leads to the case actually cracking and then effectively splitting in half. As you can imagine, this is not good. But, normal every day driving and the occasional romping to get up to speed/pass someone is ok. But, just keep in mind that the more you do it, the shorter the transfer case life is going to be.

You may have also seen a lot of things about vacuum issues. If you know what they are, they are all easy fixes that don't cost a lot of money. Even a "less than backyard mechanic" can fix these issues. Just need a little bit of desire and a place like this.

So, take the kitty out, don't be afraid to let the kitty stretch, but be smart about what you are doing. I think you will find the car to be very capable (especially in the snow) and meet all of your needs. The only true "downside" that I can put on the car is the lack of aftermarket stuff for the car. In some ways this is good (transfer case), but on the other hand, it would be nice to have some options without having to go custom.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Default awesome

Thanks everyone..I will be sure to chekc out the new memeber FAQ's as well thanks for th skinny on what the kitty can and shouldnt be doing..I just got it so I have lets just say been stretching her legs a little in second and third girl...wow can she move..a few questions concerns

1-will I know before the transfer case goes
2-can I do anyting to prevent or is it like a starter when she goes she goes
3-he mentined preventive maintance..besides oil changes what else?
4-seems the trims are quite weakeness...going to get some glue to glue all back together lol
5-everytime I play with her I am going to be thnking of the transfer case flexing... :-) hope I dont break her..she is so much fun so far..

thanks G

Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

As for the transfer case going, pretty much once you start hearing noises that are directly attributed to the transfer case, she is pretty much done. Once you start hearing the clunking and squealing of the transfer case, you don't have much longer before all hell breaks loose. As for prevention, you can do periodic gear lube changes to help prevent loss of lube failures, but beyond that, the gas pedal is about the only other preventive thing that you can do.

As for preventive maintenance, treat it like any other car. So, rotate tires, differential lube changes, shocks, brakes, etc. Yes, I know the differentials and tranny are "sealed for life", but change the fluid. Yes, the engineers have done a lot with making fluids last longer, but the fluids are only so good.

As for the trim, someone must have pulled them off in the past. All the trim on my car has been stuck on since I got it with nothing coming loose. Normally the manufacturers make sure that the trim is stuck on good and if anything, make it a pain to pull it off.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enjoy

Originally Posted by glenn680
HI all, I just on to this forum and all the popel sound great.

I just picked up my 2002 x-type and have been doing some research and I am quite nervous to say the leaset, Edmunds web site did not have to many nice things to say about the 2002 Jag, many issues and parts problem...I dont want ot be discouraged and usually the forum folk now best lol. I have to say my jag is standard and it is quick in 2nd and 3rd and 4th really fun,exciting..and I kinda of love it...do I need deep pockets...please give me your feedback...I really want to keep the all wheel drive monster :-)
i personally believe any car will give you issues if you do not take care of it. most of the stuff has been said. i just want to say, this forum is the second best thing you can look at after looking at the X(beautiful car in anyway). most posts here are when people have a problem with the Kitty, i can say i am one of the forummates who posts when i have issues and just know i do not post a lot. i have gained a lot of knowlegde about the Kitty from this forum. my X was over heating, i came to this post, i was told the possible causes and what i needed to do. i bought the part got the instructions on this forum and i replaced the part. i am just trying to say, this site is the best. read all the threads, you will learn a lot. See that guy named Thermo, he is a wizard for the X, it's not just him, but a lot of guys here. so enjoy your Kitty and this forum.....

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Default new jag owner as well

Hi Glenn680. I'm a new member as well. I just bought a 2002 X-type three weeks ago. it has a few issues and will costs me some money, but I have found a great mechanic in town. So far all I can say is it's a fun car to drive. Enjoy.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I felt the same way when I bought my X Type. I saw lots of negative comments about the entire X Type line. And I fail to see it at all. The body design over all looks great, and inside it's nice and comfy - so much more than the American crap I've become used to over the past thirty years.

I understand that it's the "cheapest" Jaguar, but every automotive line needs an entry level car. I remember Mercedes and BMW (here in the United States) being luxury cars for the very rich. Now every teen can buy one. The X Type was the best selling Jaguar to date, and yet still is the best kept secret.

I got my X Type because I was looking for "basic four door transportation". I was looking at BMW, Audi, MB, maybe even a Lexus.... Buying the X Type was a god send. Everyone thinks my car is brand new and worth $100k. It's comical.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Everyone thinks my car is brand new and worth $100k. It's comical.

Like I said before, there's always a "Wow" factor whenever a Jaguar arrives.

Can't say that about BMW, Lexus, Audi, nope, not at all...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I may be one of the few people who bought a new X Type. I believe in the US at least when I bought mine in 2006 there were only around 20K or so sold that year.

I've taken care of it - nothing out of the usual and it's been a great car to drive and own. I believe it is STILL one of the most attractive cars around.

I've owned entry level luxury cars for a long time. I've owned an Acura TL, BMW 325i and a Mercedes C280 4 Matic and of all the cars I've owned I've enjoyed the X Type the most. So much so that the Jaguar forum is the only one I've ever posted in (I did follow the forums for the other cars as well not never posted).

I feel it is the best combo of interior and exterior styling, comfort and a performance. The engine isn't as smooth as the BMW or Mercedes but it makes up with better acceleration and power in DC traffic conditions (at least compared to the C280 which overlapped with my X Type ownership).

Enjoy your car

Old 08-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Smile THnaks

I know this sounds funny but I cant wait to get home from work (I take the subway) and take the kitty out for a spin,drive,romp

I really truley enjoy her

i want to see how she does in the snow to see how the awd is. I have a volvo XC 70 which was awesome...

what can I say I am Jag lover now.. :-)

thanks all for the great feedback.

I will post questions when thy arive or look for some of the issues and respond to those postes..

thanks G

Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Default New Member

Just bought my 1st cat 2005 X-type 3.0.

Thanks all, the posts in the forum helped me a lot to make my decision.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!

I have a 2002 x-type with 129K on the clock now! While I have had a few issues, I have had a very good experience with the car (knock on wood). If you take care of it, it will be good to you.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn680

i want to see how she does in the snow to see how the awd is. I have a volvo XC 70 which was awesome...
The X-type will be awesomer! Run snow tires on all four corners and you will amazed. One of the reasons I opted for the '02. Truer AWD than later model years, some will say.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 PM

thanks all,

do u think a good pair of all season would be good enough to go ??

G