X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my X-type is over heating

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quoted the wrong post, sorry there is no edit tab .

Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagstar
where in canada are u from?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a prob.

Agreed the car will run like crap, but there is no permanent damage in running the car without a thermostat.

My dad had an older Mustang from the 70's, when it started to over heat he removed the thermostat. I don't think it was ever replaced till he sold the car (maybe 10yrs later)

Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguardoc504
Not a prob.

Agreed the car will run like crap, but there is no permanent damage in running the car without a thermostat.

My dad had an older Mustang from the 70's, when it started to over heat he removed the thermostat. I don't think it was ever replaced till he sold the car (maybe 10yrs later)

WRONG! Iron and aluminum disapate heat at different rates. Don't believe me go right ahead, remove your thermostat, I'll start buying X type engines to sell ya.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Jaguardoc504
You beat me to the punch..... so basically this guys is saying: that the thermostat gives resistance to the coolant flow and this is what prevents a car from overheating............

Sorry dude that is wrong. The thermostat prevents the coolant from reaching the radiator so it has time to heat up, thus allowing the engine to heat up to operating temp...... so if you remove the thermostat the system will run free flow, allowing all of the coolant to run through the radiator all the time. It does not need to stay in the engine for a certain amount of time to pick up heat..... it is running free flow so cool water is constantly running through the engine therefore the engine will not overheat (except for in this case where the fans will not turn on).

OP- when you removed the thermostat did you replace the coolant? If you didn't this is why your car is overheating and the fans are not turning on. The temp sensor for the fans is measuring AIR which is not a good conductor of heat. So as the engine is heating up the air is not getting hot enought around the sensor so the car thinks it is still cool......
Again, you're wrong on your thought process and how the system works. You will fry your engine. I've done it, I should know. Listened to an idiot who advocated it for race cars. Sure enough a perfectly fine engine overheated for the first time in its life. If you want to argue the point talk to any smart mechanic and you'll understand how much resistance the thermostat creates. Water pumps can pump upwards of 50gpm. Far to much to allow heat to be absorbed.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
ud

where do you people come from?? removing the T-stat will not damage your engine. Your fuel mixture will be thrown off but no damage will be caused.
Lets see, I work with water pumps all day long and have cooked an aluminum engine because it had no thermostat. What did you do? Nearly loose to a bunch of crappy American hockey players? LOL. Sorry but why not advocate he play Russian roulette too. Stupid is as stupid does. Go right ahead and run your engine without a t stat all summer long once global warming gives you some nice 100 degree days and we all invade your country looking for cooler weather. Til then read up on heat soak and aluminum and eat pie.

Here's a good start. http://www.2carpros.com/dia/test_thermostat.htm
"Never run an engine without a thermostat because the thermostat works as a system flow regulator as well. What this means is the thermostat has a specific opening that regulates the flow through the cooling system. If the coolant is allowed to flow to quickly through the radiator the coolant will not have time to transfer the heat it has absorbed. This will cause the engine to overheat"

Last edited by benebob; 05-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.