Sponsored by:

Mystery leak in X-Type I'm looking at - 2006 3.0 wagon: RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 06:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mystery leak in X-Type I'm looking at - 2006 3.0 wagon: RESOLVED

Any ideas what this leak could be? Seems to be water

Seems to be coming out of a large tube dead center in the car
Eta: was having some trouble with my phone while I was looking at it. Combining posts here.

Last edited by GGG; 08-23-2021 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Add "RESOLVED" to thread title
Old 08-20-2021, 06:56 PM

It's a 2006 3.0 x-type wagon

Old 08-20-2021, 08:18 PM
Old 08-22-2021, 06:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Novium, from the pictures, you have 2 potentials as I see it. You either have a drain tube from your sunroof that has gotten repositioned and it is now draining on to the exhaust header (should drain down behind the right rear tire) or you are getting a lot of built up water in your exhaust system and you have a pinhole leak in your exhaust which is allowing the water to leak out at that point. I would say to get a cup of water, open your sunroof and pour the water into the tray around the opening of the sunroof. From here, you should see the water drain out the drain tubes (should be 2 up front and 2 in the back as I recall). If you see a stream of water coming down from the exhaust pipe, then you have confirmed the drain tube repositioning. If you see where water comes down in 4 spots and none of them are by the exhaust, then I think you are looking at the other option.

That is too far back to be a fuel filter leak. Even if it was a gas leak, I think you would have said something. Besides, the pics makes it pretty clear it is water. So, those are the only 2 options that I can come up with.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Novium, from the pictures, you have 2 potentials as I see it. You either have a drain tube from your sunroof that has gotten repositioned and it is now draining on to the exhaust header (should drain down behind the right rear tire) or you are getting a lot of built up water in your exhaust system and you have a pinhole leak in your exhaust which is allowing the water to leak out at that point. I would say to get a cup of water, open your sunroof and pour the water into the tray around the opening of the sunroof. From here, you should see the water drain out the drain tubes (should be 2 up front and 2 in the back as I recall). If you see a stream of water coming down from the exhaust pipe, then you have confirmed the drain tube repositioning. If you see where water comes down in 4 spots and none of them are by the exhaust, then I think you are looking at the other option.

That is too far back to be a fuel filter leak. Even if it was a gas leak, I think you would have said something. Besides, the pics makes it pretty clear it is water. So, those are the only 2 options that I can come up with.
Thank you! It's a point to start investigating.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:58 PM
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Since your thinking of buying this car. I will assume that you have already checked the spare tire well for the tire and all the tools. If not, take a peek in there as the last wagon that I purchased was leaking rainwater around the antenna and rear spoiler. So much so that the well was 3/4 full of water and leaking slowly onto the ground through the drain seals. It will look like the water is coming from above the exhaust or the emissions equipment tucked up there.

Also lift the spare tire as well to determine if it has rusted. The leak may have been caught and repaired but the tools and pieces may have been dropped back in without repairing / replacing them. It can also ruin the rear parking sensor ECM. Both of mine were destroyed because of this

Hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by extheaterkid
If not, take a peek in there as the last wagon that I purchased was leaking rainwater around the antenna and rear spoiler. So much so that the well was 3/4 full of water and leaking slowly onto the ground through the drain seals.
Thanks! I had a good rummage around in there and didn't see anything. I've also now purchased the car, and was taking quite a bit of it apart trying to chase down various tiny things. Didn't see anything that suggested water... It's all pretty immaculate.

However, I am having trouble with the rear parking sensor and one reverse indicator (bulb was fine. Socket is not showing any power) so the next little project after a trip to the mechanic to get all the fluids changed is to tear down the back enough to get to the wiring and check that out. So maybe there was something.