X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery melted wiring in engine bay- thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mystery melted wiring in engine bay- thoughts?

This is a 3.0 x with 180k. The main question is- can anyone identify where this cable attaches? It seems to have been toast for quite some time. The second question is how might this be fixed and how does it relate to general symptoms the car has been having (more below). There is also another connector I found that is connected to nothing- doesn't seem to connect to the first one but is part of the same bundle of wires at some point.

Connector below MAF sensor area. Should something be connected to it?
Melted cable pulled from same bundle. Much longer wires and seemed to come from near cat. O2 sensor on visible cat is intact, seems unrelated.
Better view of whole cable pulled out from its melty den.
The car has been sitting for months and years at a time and revived periodically with a jump start, so I can't say for sure how long it has had these problems:

1.There is a metallic rattle at startup and acceleration sometimes that other threads indicate could be a catalytic converter.

2. There is a bucking/skipping under load and at certain rpms (like right before the trans should downshift). I always thought it was a trans issue but seems it could be related to cat issue.

3. Seemingly distinct from #2, in the last thousand miles or so there has been a hesitation/lurching sometimes under acceleration that seems more like a vacuum leak somewhere. Have fixed similar symptoms before with IMT o-rings and plugs 80k miles ago, will try this again shortly. New breather hose this year and no vacuum hose cracks visible or feelable.

4. Replaced AC compressor a few weeks ago and recharged system. Blows cold and has for weeks in very hot weather. I did not replace the serpentine belt, as the one I ordered ended up being a water pump belt. The only issue is rough idle with AC on.

5. Sometimes the temp gauge goes a hair past the middle and then the heater won't blow hot. Seems to lose a half gallon of coolant every 5k miles but can't pinpoint leak. New radiator (15k ago) and replaced upper hose assembly (20k ago). Have not messed with thermostat or temp control sensor.

I am not sure if the melted wire and the other missing wire have anything to do with these things I've listed but surely some of them are interrelated. I'm hoping to get some clarity about the missing wire, in addition to some advice about what to maybe tackle first as far as the known issues. But the wire... I'm sure nobody likes the feeling of discovering some gaping problem like that when poking around for something else! However, if I know where it connects to I can start to track down a replacement. Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for the multi point thread.

Kevin

Old 04-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,320 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Most likely that connector is like the one in mine. Not connected to anything. You should have 2 connectors without a home that I have found so far. The one you are looking at I believe is for connection to a manual transmission. The other will be a wire near the battery box. That one plugs in to a tab on the bottom of the battery box. It is a remnant of the Battery Isolater that was used during shipping of the vehicle and is removed upon arrival.
Jaguar makes only one wiring harness and if certain options were not installed the connector is just left open. Common on Jag's.

The poor performance is the X-Types version of restricted performance. It limits the RPM to under 3000. You need to have a scanner plugged in and read the codes. Post the number and we can help diagnose the problem. If the scanner has the capability have the fuel trims recorded at idle and at 2500 RPM with no load.