Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav's Mina exhaust system - 1 hour install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts
Default Nav's Mina exhaust system - 1 hour install

Like the title says, Nav came over to my place today and we installed a Mina exhaust system on his car. This kit was only the mufflers and the exhaust tips. So, the install was pretty easy. I will let the pictures tell the rest.

What we started with. Nothing fancy.

Underside shot of the car. Everything is out in the open for you to access. So, made things pretty easy to get to.

As you can see from this picture, removing the muffler is nothing more than a single cut on the exhaust pipe on each side and then removing the sound isolation/support bracket. nice big hole left afterwards.

A comparison shot of the new muffler/tip on the left side, factory stuff on the right. We had not aligned the driver's side yet, so, pardon the tip sitting towards the center of the car. He he he he he.

The finished product, all things aligned. If you are thinking about doing this, DO IT!!!!! The sound is very mellow, yet you know there is something unique about this car just based on the exhaust note. It isn't a Wub-wub sound of the classic cars, but it also isn't the raspy sound like a lot of the Mustangs have these days. it is a note that is slightly louder than stock with just a touch of the wub-wub to it.

As for tools, all you need is a large screw driver (used to pull the sound isolation off of the muffler mount), a sawzall with a steel blade, an 11 mm socket for one clamp, a 15mm socket/wrench for the other clamp, and then finally a small allen (2.5mm?) wrench for the sound isolation mount locker on the Mina setup. LIke was said, the install took about an hour to do, which was us taking our time, discussing how Nav wanted the system to look. If you have any mechanical skills, you can install this system.

Next week the drop springs. For a hint of what is to come, take a look at my car and imagine that height on Nav's silver X-Type.

The following users liked this post:
Aonsaithya (09-13-2012)
Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow! Thanks Chris. Really do like the double tips.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks good but I wish I could hear it!
I can't wait to get my exhaust on, too. My mufflers just showed up Thursday so now I have to make an appt to get everything put on (I'm getting a new resonator and tips, also).

Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am awfully tempted now. However I have zero mechanical aptitude, so I wonder if my Jag dealer will do the installation for. I am gonna ask them on Monday

Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really sweet!!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

Aluni, why pay the dealership, you are an hour north of me. Pick up the parts, come on down to my place and we will get you hooked up for free. Then you can see what all is involved. I have all the tools. Not that big of a deal. It is looking like Nav is coming back down this coming Saturday (Oct 30) so we can do the drop on his car. Might be a good time to come down. PUt some faces with the names and be able to talk cars too.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Nav
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the install thermo! the drive back was a lot of fun nothing intensely major with HP/mileage gains from what i can suss so far and likewise with the exhaust note. sounds like you got something but its not obnoxious! perfect.

ill record some video with the sound soonish.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Aluni, why pay the dealership, you are an hour north of me. Pick up the parts, come on down to my place and we will get you hooked up for free. Then you can see what all is involved. I have all the tools. Not that big of a deal. It is looking like Nav is coming back down this coming Saturday (Oct 30) so we can do the drop on his car. Might be a good time to come down. PUt some faces with the names and be able to talk cars too.
Thermo, thanks for the kind offer! It would be great to take you up on the offer. I'll order the parts next week and see when we can meet

I am honestly speechless!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It makes a "wub wub" sound! hahahhahaha!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Aluni, I love working on cars. Besides, after doing the one kit, the next one will be even easier. A lot of the time was spent figuring out where the clamps go (don't go like you would think). Come on down and we'll have some fun. I think once you see what all is done, you will say that you could have done it at your place.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Nav or Thermo: I am considering putting a Mina exhaust on my XK8 and using the Quad tips. Question - do both openings in each tip pass exhaust gas or is the smaller one just for show? Yours are the best pictures of an installed set I can find, but I still cannot see if the small tube is blocked or open.
By the way, they look great!!

Thanks -

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Nav

Hey man, the set I got from Mina is essentially 1 pipe. The quad part is just the tip so its 1 pipe from the muffler with the exhaust tips that you bolt on to the end. so yeah with this kind from mina the extra ovals are just for show. does give a good sound though. not too loud not too soft.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

XK8+, like Nav mentioned, the tips are more for show. Gas does pass through both openings, but if you can picture in your head, you have the two openings and then they are resting over the single pipe coming out of the muffler. So, the tips are more for show than anything. The mufflers are a single in/single out design.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

nice job im hoping to order the mina exhaust and front skirt and maybe the 2009 grill for my 2005 x type in a couple weeks. glad to hear this sound is different but no too extereme

Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
XK8+, like Nav mentioned, the tips are more for show. Gas does pass through both openings, but if you can picture in your head, you have the two openings and then they are resting over the single pipe coming out of the muffler. So, the tips are more for show than anything. The mufflers are a single in/single out design.
Thermo & Nav - Thanks for the input. I could tell from Mina's pictures that the tips have a single input, but I couldn't tell if the internals of the tip allowed the gases to come out of both outlets. Sounds like it does. I have a 1990 Chrysler/Maserati TC which has a "dual" tip where one side is totally for show. No flow at all. Looks kind of dorky when it's cold and there's steam coming out of only one of the two. Funny story: My daughter took it to emissions testing one time and failed because the guy put the probe in the bogus pipe. Said she must have a massive exhaust leak somewhere because he couldn't get any reading.

Thanks again -

Old 11-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Sound clips or it didn't happen. =P

Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty funny how the emissions guy didnt figure it out as a zero reading was showing. Maybe you can consider it a clean air vehical? Maybe save some on your taxes haha.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 AM
Nav

that really is a face-palm moment lol.

anyway... here you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7k_7BeiyTw
I said id get round to it!
sorry for the editing miss-hap in there, my brother was talking through it, so i only got about 40 seconds here. hope that helps you all coz im not doin it again

The following users liked this post:
chknhwk (12-08-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 AM

Sounds and looks good! That really makes me want to get my mufflers on more than ever now.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one , just ordered a set for my Jag , been thinking about it ,on and off, for a while now , looking at what you guys have done has inspired me to have a go , only thing bothering me is , where to cut the pipe , I have heard mention of a 'service joint' , is this obvious or is it a bit of guess work ? good work , looks awesome.
Cheers,
Mike.

Quick Reply: Nav's Mina exhaust system - 1 hour install