X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help with ball joint

I am trying to remove the steering knuckles on 2005 3.0 to have the front bearing replaced. The right ball joint is bad so I thought I would replace it also.
I read and watched the video, removed the pinch bolt and tie rod from the knuckle. Spread the pinch with a chisel, the ball joint will come down about 2/3 the way but the pin gets slanted and will not come out. I have lifted the hub with a jack to make more room for the control arm to drop but after 3 hours I give up. Watching the video looks like it nearly falls out with a hammer. What am I missing here? Any help cause I am stuck.....!

Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 AM
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

I had the same problem when changing front struts on my '04, and am trying to recall how I got it free. I do remember lifting the knuckle slightly with a jack to give that pin more clearance. I did get it out but it was a fight. Think I also used a long pry bar. When you get the knuckle out you'll have to replace the whole lower control arm, as the ball joint is not available separately. I bought a control arm from Rock Auto, made by German manufacturer Meyle. I had to buy it because the large rubber bushing at rear of arm is oil-filled and will crack open if you overstress it. I have that t-shirt from doing the left side strut.

Attached Thumbnails Need help with ball joint-rf-disassemble1.jpg   Need help with ball joint-rf-disassemble2.jpg   Need help with ball joint-rf-disassemble3.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 01-25-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got the knuckles off the car today. Had to lower the sub frame, still would not come off. It appears that when the control arm is down low the ball joint pin is pulling inward and cocked crooked holding the pin into the knuckle. Push the assy. upward and the pin lines up straight but then as soon as you pull the control arm down it gets crooked again. So I removed the horizontal bolt from the control arm allowing the arm to come outward enough for the pin to become straight again and then it comes out. So anyone doing this, I suggest you plan on doing these items. I wish I would have done this earlier, took many more hours than I planned. I can see if the ball joints were bolted into the control arm you could easily remove the 3 bolts and it would be 1000% easier, so much for riveting. I have to replace one of my ball joints in the process and getting new bearings in, I feel like I should go ahead and do the other joint, it will make future dissassy so much easier if I have to anything there in the future. I also realized that while under the car, spray bolts and anything you see with penetrating oil, helps keeps things free if you have to work on it....

Old 01-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the same problem when I replaced my ball bearing, it also took me a long time to remove it from the knuckle, but finally I have it done, like you said.