X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP BEFORE DARRRRK! HID Install - UPDATE! INSTALL COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEED HELP BEFORE DARRRRK! HID Install

looks great! do you guys know if this will have any effect with my NJ state vehicle inspection since this is not a dealer installed item. Just wondering because they gave me a hard when I installed those fake HIDbulbs on my previous car.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had an HID kit on my 300zx , as long as you dont go to onea of the NJ state inspection centers, and go to a privately owned one you should be ok. The official state station in edison i think failed me instantly, but then i went to a local shop that tunes mustangs and other domestics, i passed w/ no problem.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:24 AM

just adding to that, they also failed me for my FACTORY window tint on my z, so yea, they are ******

Old 09-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  7.4 KB
ORIGINAL: somekidzenvy
just adding to that, they also failed me for my FACTORY window tint on my z, so yea, they are ******
Dont mince your words somekidz...........tell it like it is....

Jim

Old 09-15-2007, 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: JimC64

tell it like it is....

Jim
Telllllllllllllll It Liiiiiiiiiiike it i-iiiiiiiiiis.

Good ol' Aaron Neville Such a great song.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that is a nice kit...hey spartan will you take a pic of those for me at night? Those are very appealing considering the price...I might have hids sooner than I thought! Anyone have more descriptive pics of what the harness looks like now and how that is all hooked up? Any help appreciated!

I personally would probably go with the 6000k because I don't really like that blue blue blue look...but I'd like to see what they look like at night...wal-mart had the perfect bulb for my running light to replace that hideous looking yellow little bulb!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 PM

More pix to come. I took these kinda quick so they're okay, but not great. It does give you an idea of how bright they really are. I love the 8k bulbs. I like the blueish look better than just plain jane white HID.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

They look so bright ,good job

Old 09-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  7.4 KB

Nice one on the HID's Spartan............and yes, I love that song too...lol

Jim

Old 09-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Man that is a nice kit...hey spartan will you take a pic of those for me at night? Those are very appealing considering the price...I might have hids sooner than I thought! Anyone have more descriptive pics of what the harness looks like now and how that is all hooked up? Any help appreciated!

I personally would probably go with the 6000k because I don't really like that blue blue blue look...but I'd like to see what they look like at night...wal-mart had the perfect bulb for my running light to replace that hideous looking yellow little bulb!
it is a very simple setup / install. there is the ballast, which has 2 lines (w/ connectors) and one plug on it. the bulb and 2 lines (+ and -) are ran thru a rubber grommet (pre-assembled)and have 2 power lines (+ and -) and the other connector for the ballast. cut the factory bulb and mounting point off, connect the + (yellow line) to the + on the bulb-end side of the kit, same with negative. drill a 23mm hole in the back of the light housing (black round cover you remove to get to the bulb), run the lines thru. put the new bulb in place, connect the 3 connections to the ballastand you are done. plenty of space on each side to mount the ballast (driver side under the battery box). 6k will give you a superwhite light with just a hint of blue, mostly around the edges ofthe light field.

and if you blow a fuse in the process, #29 and #30 in the engine fuse box are for the lights.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

OUCH! blind everyone in the streets! LOL! Now it's just time to take care of the high beams too!

Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SpartanX!

That looks great!
Does this kit cover both the low beam as well as high beams?

What are you going to do with your foglights? leave them as is?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: hankycbr

SpartanX!

That looks great!
Does this kit cover both the low beam as well as high beams?

What are you going to do with your foglights? leave them as is?
For the high beams, you'll have to just replace the lights because the kit is just for the low beam headlights. I'm going to get new bulbs for the fogs. I know some have put HID's in the fogs, but I just plan on replacing those with higher temp halogens.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hey spartan you will be fine putting in whatever kind of lights you want in your fog lights...the headlights you can't put any other bulb in...personally I spent 40 on a set of sylvania silverstars for my fogs and got almost no difference...for 30 more bucks you'd be able to get another set of hids...I'd get those!

Hey spartan to be a pain in your ****...could you get some different shots like below the main beam above the cut off and what not...I really want to know what they look like...only cars I see with hids are either stock cadillacs or pontiac grand prixs which look like regular blue bulbs...I just want everyone to see the hids coming down the road because they look brighter than halogens...I also want them to appear stock and I'd imagine 8k wouldn't fill my wanting hids...also is the blue irritating after a while because it seems they are more blue?

Old 09-17-2007, 04:38 PM

I'll try and get a few more shots up tonight! I'm still getting over the fact that I may need a clutch in the near future.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah that sucks man...hopefully they only get like 1k because to me 1500+ doesn't sound right...I know the car is awd and what not and it is a jag but 1k sounds cool...well good luck and I'd appreciate the pics....does the blue tint of the headlight irritate you? Well be driving to Madison Wisconsin in October to her brothers and well be driving at night...I have a feeling the 8k would get irritating after driving all night....

Old 09-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Is it possible that a write up or amaybe something with some pics of the install will be coming soon???

THANX

Old 09-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

there isnt much to write up. remove old bulbs, cut off the connector. splice yellow wire into positive on HIDs, brown to negative. mount the ballast, reassemble everything.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM

So from the sound of it I would have to do some cutting on the headlight wiring in order to get the kit to work properly?

What bulbs does this kit use I am really thinking this is the way to go. I just dont want to butcher too much up as far as the wiring is concerned.

THANX Again

Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Striker27

So from the sound of it I would have to do some cutting on the headlight wiring in order to get the kit to work properly?

What bulbs does this kit use I am really thinking this is the way to go. I just dont want to butcher too much up as far as the wiring is concerned.

THANX Again
Some cutting of wires is involved, yes. I had to cut a whopping four wires . Wasn't too hard at all, trust me. The only issue I ran into was mounting the ballast, but I used the bolt/nut combo the kit came with and mounted my passenger side ballast to a hole located on a metal plate uner the high beam, and my driver side ballast under the battery box.

The kit has an option of 6k, 8k, and 10k. I have 8k because the lumen output isn't too much dimmer than the 6k IMHO. There's a few cars with 8k stock, so that's what I went with. HOWEVER, 8k is as high as I would go. We've had this discussion here before about 10k+ and it's not recommended, as you won't be able to see anything. Not to mention 10k is just too much like a blue light.

I'll be posting more pix tonight so everyone can get a better idea of how 8k looks.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP BEFORE DARRRRK! HID Install - UPDATE! INSTALL COMPLETE