X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! Where can I get my ECM flashed - other than dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! Where can I get my ECM flashed - other than dealership?

I need to get my ECM flashed.

Amongst the threads here, I found "ASAP speedometer repair" as a source I could mail my ECM into and have them flash it. They asked me for my VIN to confirm they could do it for me - and never contacted me after I provided it for them (twice...)

Does anyone know anyplace I can get it flashed either locally, or send it in? I am in Bucks Cty, PA - close to Philadelphia, Trenton, Princeton and such.

If you are someone who has the software and know-how to do this for me - I'd gladly pay you!

Thanks much!

2004 X-Type

Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Why do you want it flashed? Are you looking to reset the codes? Add performance/ engine modifications? You can Google ECM reprogramming and you will find several mail order places. If you're just looking to reset the codes, places like Pep Boys will do it for free.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Long story short, I had problems a couple of months ago and came here for ideas to fix. First was battery. Changed it and had all connections checked - it wasn't battery.

I then found several people saying the same thing happened to them (in wet weather as it had been when it happened to mine) and I need to waterproof the TCM and ECM.

I watched a video, removed TCM and waterproofed it as instructed. Was hoping that would get it out of limp mode without screwing with ECM also. It didn't. So, I was about to go ahead and do the same for the ECM - but found one on eBay for $50...and unknowingly bought it thinking "it's better then my possibly shot one that may have moisture damage". I changed it out, not knowing what "flash" even was at the time. When I learned it had to be flashed, I said forget it, I'll just waterproof my original and put it back in.

I'm pretty sure putting the un-flashed, un-matched ECM made the car crazy...as it doesn't recognize the original ECM now. Car won't turn over, and is throwing a "CAM" error if I remember correctly. It's now been sitting DOA for a month...

So, I'm hoping that getting my original ECM flashed will solve the issue.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Why not just bite the bullet and go to the dealer? That way you know it will be done right and right away. Will it cost more? It probably will, but for that cost your car will be running again, provided there isn't something else wrong with it, of course. Right now your car has been done a month with no end in sight. Maybe going to the dealer is the simplest and in the long run, the least expensive option, especially if you send it out and it doesn't work. Right now it sounds like you are really just guessing at what is wrong.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:03 PM

The dealer wants $1800...for a car worth $4000.

I can't.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

$1800 looks like they plan to supply a blank ECM.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
$1800 looks like they plan to supply a blank ECM.
Indeed! Because I opened the ECM, they want to replace it...

Educated guess, flashing it is my prob. It was in limp mode (but still drive-able) when I took TCM out and "waterproofed" and put back in. Was still in limp mode...but still very drive-able. After taking the ECM out...that's when it wouldn't even turn over. The error it was throwing was an ECM error. So my best guess us rhat putting the mismatched one in, then the original, screwed up the computer.

I'm not saying it won't still be in limp mode once I get a flashed ECM back in...but, at least it will be running again, and I can go from there.

I actually bought this car as a temporary car after totaling one while waiting for insurance $$ and deciding what I want. This breakdown forced my hand into buying a new vehicle. Now I need to get it running and sell it since I've already purchased its permanent replacement.... It is a super clean, garage kept, dealership maintained 2004 with only 90,000 miles. Seemed like a no-brainer. Then it went wonky on me 3 weeks after I bought it...
SMH

Old 06-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marni94
Indeed! Because I opened the ECM, they want to replace it...

Educated guess, flashing it is my prob. It was in limp mode (but still drive-able) when I took TCM out and "waterproofed" and put back in. Was still in limp mode...but still very drive-able. After taking the ECM out...that's when it wouldn't even turn over. The error it was throwing was an ECM error. So my best guess us rhat putting the mismatched one in, then the original, screwed up the computer.

I'm not saying it won't still be in limp mode once I get a flashed ECM back in...but, at least it will be running again, and I can go from there.

I actually bought this car as a temporary car after totaling one while waiting for insurance $$ and deciding what I want. This breakdown forced my hand into buying a new vehicle. Now I need to get it running and sell it since I've already purchased its permanent replacement.... It is a super clean, garage kept, dealership maintained 2004 with only 90,000 miles. Seemed like a no-brainer. Then it went wonky on me 3 weeks after I bought it...
SMH
My x has been at the dealer now for over a month. Rain blew the tcm and ecm. They have put two new ones in two times and they all fried. Turns out the wiring harness was shorting out all the computers. Now I need another one of them.
$3000+ so far.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by harryc
My x has been at the dealer now for over a month. Rain blew the tcm and ecm. They have put two new ones in two times and they all fried. Turns out the wiring harness was shorting out all the computers. Now I need another one of them.
$3000+ so far.
Oh my gosh! What a nightmare! That's what I'm trying to avoid...but may not be able to.

And that's how I hunted down that it was likely ecu moisture issue....from stories just like yours!

This car was always garage kept, until I bought it. Our garage has 2 motorcycles and a Range Rover, so no room for my used Jag. So it lived outside. And we had a record breaking week of rain and sleet. And that's when it went wonky.

What a poor design that rain/moisture cause a major component to fail....