X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinion on buying Jag X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion on buying Jag X-Type

Hi, I am in the market of buying a car for my wife who is a new driver. She used to commute with public transportation but moving means driving. Since she is new, we wanna get a car not so expensive and yet awd for winter with decent mileage. Turns out Jag X-type has the best miles for the money.

My question is: how reliable do you guys say X-types are? We are going to see two jags tomorrow: 2002 vs. 2005, both 50k miles and a difference of $2000 asking price.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:35 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I would make sure there is a DSC button on the console instead of a little coin holder.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 2005 x type just over 2 months ago and so far I put 500 bucks worth of work into it. Now the fuel pump has gone bad and since I was an auto mechanic I can fix it myself for 100 bucks, but for anyone who has to take it to the dealer it's going to be between 1000-1400 to fix. It also has a battery drain and now the air conditioner only blows out the defroster. Once it's fixed I think I'm going to sell it.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

X-Types are relatively inexpensive to purchase, but they are luxury cars and come with luxury costs when it comes to repairs and parts. You can save money if you are mechanically inclined, but parts can still be expensive.

Your question about reliability is difficult to answer because lots of variables go into that...such as how the car was maintained? Either of those cars may be great buys if they were cared for, or nightmares if they were neglected. Just be sure to ask for receipts for maintenance and ask lots of questions. Maybe invest $100 or so and have the car inspected at a shop that works on Jaguars.

Having said that, X-Types are (in my opinion) just as reliable as your average car on the road. They may take a little bit more TLC, but if that's done properly then most will have a good experience.

Hope that helps, and good luck. Feel free to post info specific about each car if you'd like more specific advice.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:14 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Regardless, you will want a qualified and independent repair shop for when you need repairs (and you will, all cars do, but most shops are not familiar with Jaguars). Do a little research and try to find one reasonably close.

You do not want to have to take it to the dealer or have to travel very far.

Not to bad-mouth Jaguars in general or X-Types in particular, but if either of those is true everyone would be far happier if you look at other makes.

I agree that Jaguars are not particularly worse than others in reliability but they are much less well know/serviced and you really don't want be on the end of a very long supply line.

Jaguars are cars for people who want to own a Jaguar because it's a Jaguar, not people who are looking for reasonably priced luxury car.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If you're buying it because it's cheap then don't. They are relatively reliable but they are complex (and can be expensive to fix) as luxury cars are. The real question here is your wife.... does she want a beater or a Jag???

Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 319 Posts

with 50,000 on both i would go with the 2002 personaly,i put redline in my transfer case and its bullet proof

but its your choice

Name:  transfercase011.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  tcpic.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  transfercase013.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  63.2 KB

Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great advice given ... you may also want to consider purchasing and after market warranty.

I did this when I got my 2004 3.0 x type three years ago and it has doubly repaid the original cost in covered repairs.. including a new transfer case provided and installed at a Jaguar dealership.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Hello arcmpower,welcome to the forum.

When you get a minute please post in the new member area for a warm welcome.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 08-23-2014, 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

My wife really likes the "classy" look for the X-type (I do, too). She does want a beater, with luxury in it. I understand it might be pricey to fix; I have owned many other brands growing up and currently drive a GLK. The reason I asked because I have heard so many bad rumors about the engine/tran problem being so unreliable but I also found many happy owners upon researching for consumer reviews. I know people who usually input these reviews are on both ends of extremes so I wanna get a more neutral perspective opinion from the forum instead. My real question is do you think they are reliable comparative to what brand, so I have an idea.... audi/mb/bmw/subaru/etc.

We test drove the 2002 Jag today and also took a 2005 325xi for spin (she also tried the G35x and 2005 C-class the other day). She is definitely in love with the Jag. We are going to see the 05 Jag tomorrow, looks like she will buy it if it is clean unless I stop her. lol

Old 08-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

A problem on early models is the transfer case. Later models (2005 I believe) have an electronic DSC system so they have no viscous coupling in the transfer case. There'll be a DSC light on the tunnel. That would be a better choice.

X Types rust on the driver side A pillar where door hinges attach to the pillar.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
A problem on early models is the transfer case. Later models (2005 I believe) have an electronic DSC system so they have no viscous coupling in the transfer case. There'll be a DSC light on the tunnel. That would be a better choice.

X Types rust on the driver side A pillar where door hinges attach to the pillar.

Oddly, the 2002 We tested yesterday had the DSC but the 2005 I am about to go see does not. So without DSC the 2005 is a bad choice?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

DSC was always an option on X Type.....For your wife, do not buy a 2004 or newer without DCS....positively dangerous, (false sense of security without DSC) on slush, ice,and very, very wet roads (pretty OK on fresh light snow), unless you are good at sensing every tiny "twitch" of the car. The 2002 and 2003 have the viscous coupling and can get by without the DSC but many do have DSC option. So if you find a 2002 or 2003 without DSC then you really need to know if it still has the viscous coupling transfer case...if it has been replaced with a "new" one it probably would not have been a viscous coupling unit....the two types of TC are interchangeable. Both types of transfer cases are prone to failure but not the same types of failure in general. Both will fail in short order if you "floor" it through the red line in all gears too often.

I have 88,000 miles (80% highway miles) on my 2006 and the only road breakdown was a wrecked TC. No other parts replaced (although a few body trim parts have fallen off and been reattached !!)..only tires, battery and fluids consumed, no electronic gremlins....yet.

Rob.
2006 X Type Sport Wagon.
1987 XJ6 Daily driver.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 AM

Just an update, we didnt buy either of the cars because they were not as clean as we thought. I also notice on both cars, whenever it downshifts to pick up acceleration I can hear rather a loud sound from the rear differential and physically feel the force, on both cars, is it normal? It is quite noticeable from 3rd to 2nd gear on local speed.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Checks sills on pre 05 cars , corrosion used to be a problem . The sound you hear may not be transfer case . It may just be wrongly inflated or worn tyres . I bought my fist X , undriven , from an Auction . On the way home I hadthe most amazing whining sound & thought I had bought a dud . It got no worse , but I did have a new set of 4 Goodyear Excellence tyre fitted . WOW transformation in comfort , roadholding & as quite as a mouse ...