X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recomendations on how to make my jag look better, nicer, sleeker and faster -

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need recomendations on how to make my jag look better, nicer, sleeker and faster -

So i need ideas to make my car look better, faster, sleek, sound meaner and overall, look better. I've considered switching out the muffler to a magnaflow ( or borla thanx thermo), tint on the rear window, candain laws prohi=bit front 3 windows, and possible rims, if i can save up enough for super nice ones, what else can i do, besides a new grille.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mina Gallery body kit : http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...t-packages.htm

The tiny rear spoiler : http://www.minagallery.com/Merchant2...t_Code=NW12775

You've pretty much listed the rest already : grille, exhaust, wheels.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  19.3 KB

hey there stu....you didn't say if yours is a Sport or not.

Larger rims with wider wheels and lowered slightly....not too much as you don't want rubbing
I wouldn't go overboard on the tints....not too dark as they don't look right on a Jag IMO.
Mesh grilles are a MUST
Bootlid spoiler looks great too...I had it on my 02
Hid conversions in the headlights and fogs too....see x type quick faq links
Upgrade on the exhaust too....many have added Borlas or similar here

Old 04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Disco, you are on the right track. I was wanting some of the same things. I did something that you won't find on any other Jag except for mine. take a look at this pic:

As you can see, I have painted the chrome corner pieces, the chrome piece above the license plate (note the lettering was left in chrome), and I painted the black plastic around the backup sensors. I also removed the lettering on the back just to clean it up. I did the same sort of thing on the front with the chrome corner pieces and the chrome grill surround. Also, I used my air brush and touched up the side marker lights (all 6) and darkened them up some to make them blend in more with the body of the car (see below pic).

I have also converted the fog lights over to 6000K HIDs and am in the process of converting the white running lights over to 280K MCD white LEDs (LEDs are in the mail, should be done soon-pics will be taken and discussion here). If you have questions, just ask. If the project turns out like I think, I will have some additional LEDs with the associated resistors for sale to fellow members.

As for other options, there aren't many out there. So, you may need to do some digging deep into the pockets to have something custom done. I have contemplated changing the backup lens to an additional running/stop light and then moving the backup lights to the backup sensor area. Easy mod, probably not. But, will I have something that others won't, of course. Dream a dream, play around with photo shop to make what you want and go from there.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah i was looking at that, as you said before, im not sure if it sport or not how do i tell, its a x type 02. 2.5l, and yeah i was thinking along the same lines, have any of you guys installed a cai system at all, i waould leke on on my car, and the wide tires i love that idea. Thanx a ton, and yeah i am going to spend alot of money, best for the best, nothing less.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM

keep it stock baby

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM

Rear tint is a must...well i saw...i got my rears limo tinted...how ever ive noticed that tint shade 1 in black the cops dont really care about on the front two windows aslong as they can see your seat belt over ur chest...
by the way disco stu what province r u from i notice u said canadian?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Alberta, the re real ****** here, i was driving cop is behind me pulls up next to me stares at me, the hood ornament, then dives away, comes back and pulls me over for now apparent reason excuse, my license plate look funny.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:53 PM

actually... if u really want to improve ur car via tint.. u def need to tint the windshield 50%. for 2 reasons

1. u wont need sunglasses and reduce glare
2. "that **** looks fly" - Shil

Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't tint the windows unless you can tint all 4 side windows equally. Tinting just the back looks stupid. The X-Type isn't a limo. And tinting the rears 20% and the fronts 35% or 50% also looks gay. I prefer 35% on all side windows and 20% on the rear window. It's light enough that cops won't mess with you. Here in Naperville, cops usually don't seem to care about nicer cars having full tints as long as it isn't too dark. The only friends I hear about getting pulled over for tints are driving sentras, civics, etc. Leave the windshield as it is or do a really light tint if you want to risk it.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Yeah i was looking at that, as you said before, im not sure if it sport or not how do i tell, its a x type 02. 2.5l, and yeah i was thinking along the same lines, have any of you guys installed a cai system at all, i waould leke on on my car, and the wide tires i love that idea. Thanx a ton, and yeah i am going to spend alot of money, best for the best, nothing less.
Simple way I tell sport from non-sport is simply look at the corners of the bumpers. Chrome trim strips = non-sport and body color painted trim strips = sport. At least that's how it is here in the U.S.

All the mods you are thinking of are going to cost well over what the car is probably worth. If you are ok with that then more power to you. Otherwise pick your mods wisely.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

IS Naperville in alberta, but yeah i just want he back windows dark, and the front side ones just a bit dark, the back one i might get really dark but just enough to see barly enough out. Thats sounds weird, but yeah thatss my plan, does anybody have pics of a x type with full tint.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 PM

U must be in Calgary then the cops are ****** down there

Old 04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey discostud...Name:  this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
Views: 65
Size:  11.7 KB

It's hard to recommend what to do without pics.

If you don't have sport model I prefer the painted pieces over chrome. I'd tear the badges off the car if I were you. Tint is a must and rims help depending on what you have...

Old 04-24-2009, 02:19 PM

I have a black sport model. I just added new black rims with a silver lip ... looks so great. Kept them the stock 17" size and still looks sweet. I put different exhaust tips on. Other than that my jag has the ground effect package (minus the front bumper piece since it broke from hitting ****).

Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjones91
I have a black sport model. I just added new black rims with a silver lip ... looks so great. Kept them the stock 17" size and still looks sweet. I put different exhaust tips on. Other than that my jag has the ground effect package (minus the front bumper piece since it broke from hitting ****).
Ditto on posting pix! That way we can give you a better idea of what you can do. Just don't add port holes, vents, or chrome mirrors, please?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

K, wel ill try to get some pics this weekend, i had a few repair parts arrive so yeah ill post some, i really need advice on performance, im think a magnaflow muffler, tips, and a cold air intake and ideas on that thanx.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as performance goes you really have to spend some money to get very little out of it.

Personally I would just save the money for future work needed on the car.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by aquill1
As far as performance goes you really have to spend some money to get very little out of it.

Personally I would just save the money for future work needed on the car.
+1

Not that the car is really that unreliable. But if you end up needing a new propshaft or transfer case or transmission its not cheap. And look how many people on here have had problems with those 3 items... The likelihood of getting these problems goes up as you raise power.

I personally like the stock body. But if you want it to look good, The stock 3.0 sport body kit looks very good. Arden has pieces but they r $$$$. Tints and rims are good. I found finding good rims to be a PITA because of Jaguars weird bolt pattern. Unless you shell out for custom rims like HRE, iforged, DPE, etc. Which then again is $$$$. Lowering the car will improve both performance and looks but it will be another grand at least.

Sound you can add an exhaust. Either custom using magnaflow mufflers or just buy the Borla. It's Cheap and sounds good. Arden has a a more expensive Dual or Quad setup also. If you want an intake that's up to you. But don't think you are going to gain a bunch of power. It may sound nicer though.

Just be sure to save money for maintenance items.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 PM

And be careful with the size of tires you use. The rolling diameter has to be the same on front and back in an awd car or the awd system may blow up. Had this happen to a friends bimmer. You can still use staggered rims though. I'm not sure what size fits front and rear, with and without rolling fenders. Someone else on here can help you finding rim sizes, tire sizes, offsets, etc. And if the tires on the back are a lot wider than the fronts on awd cars, the car will understeer more.

Quick Reply: Need recomendations on how to make my jag look better, nicer, sleeker and faster -