X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recomendations on how to make my jag look better, nicer, sleeker and faster -

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

K SO THERE IT IS, sorry about the annoying seperate posts, i figured it out, can i get some tips for the rust problem, and i thought about changing the gas pedals this weekend, but i'd like to do something for it this weekend like color the lights aswell, can i get some tips on how to go about doing that. And a quick question, do u guys ever race your cars, my freind has a late model passat, and i tried racing here and my car got raped, whats the dealio?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Disco, since you have a dark colored car, you might find it of interest to pull off the 6 side marker lights and then tint them slightly. I did this with my car and it helps blend the lights in with the side of the car. It doesn't dramatically affect the brightness of the lights either. I did it a more difficult way than most since I first washed the lights, then I coated them in a clear adhesion promoter, followed by a few layers of thinned down "RC car window tint" paint, followed by a layer of clear. This allowed me to control the darkness of the lights. If you want a pic to base things off of, let me know and I will post one here.

As for the rust problem, short of getting the whole panel painted, there isn't much more that you can do. You can sand it and put some primer on it for the moment to prevent further corrosion, but to make a permanent fix, it will require repainting of the whole panel.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Thankx, thermo, so the next step is, how do i go about removing the rust, and theres a special devive that runs a current through the car to prevent rust, should i buy or leave it. and how do i go about remving the rust ( sand paper grit, type of primer) and i would love to see the pics of the lights, do u think i should do the same to the rear red lights, on the side, and how do i take them offf and put them on

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Live down a back road? That sucks about the rust.

As thermo said you should tint the side markers or buy the clear side markers and paint the front and rear reflectors. As he said you can use either the rc paint or there is a product called niteshade that I've used before. I never sanded anything nor added anything to the taillights of my monte carlo and cleared it with a crappy clear and it came out great.

I'd definitely tint the windows. Hids will look nice. I'd paint all chrome black as well.

BTW these pics should help you decide about what you do. Look closely to notice the differences.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Disco, as for fixing the rust spot. If you have the money to get the fender painted, I would do that. Probably run you about $200 to have it prepped and painted at a local body shop. If you don't have quite that much money, atleast for the moment I would tell you to get some sand paper (or a flap wheel) with 180 grit surface. From there you can sand the rust off of the car. Then at your local auto parts store, you can pick up some primer and gloss black (test on a piece of cardboard to make sure that the black is going to be pretty close). Make sure to mask off the entire door, the trim running underneath the rust spot and the tire. From there, you can cover the newly exposed metal with the touchup paint until you can afford to go and get it done right. This will save the car and will look fine going down the road, but when stopped, may lead to a slight discoloration in the paint on the edge where the two paints touch (hence why the whole fender needs to be retouched).

As for doing the side marker lights, the above pictures show what the difference is like. Those were done a bit darker than what I did, but gives you an idea of what it will look like. To remove the lights, take a flat bladed item (popsicle stick, flat bladed screw driver with masking tape over the end, etc) and place it on the flat edge of the marker light. PUsh the marker light using your flat bladed item to the side towards the pointy end of the light, move about 1/4". Now, pull straight out towards you. The light should slide out some. If not, push the light a little further and attempt again. Once the light starts to pull out and you can see the whole hook on the back of the marker light, grab the marker light and release the pressure from the flat bladed item. Remove the marker light from the car. Don't forget to disconnect the plug on the back. One side note, there is a metal clip that holds the plug to the marker light. This needs to be removed before attempting to unplug the light.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanx a ton, these pics actually gave me a few ideas, thanx everyone, my next probelms is, theres rust on both panels, so the total would come out too 400, or so, ontop i need to fix the bushings, and the slighlty rough ride, also, the interior windshild vents popped out, do i just hot glue them back in, same with the side lights/reflectors can i just glue them or do i need to actaully do the whole clip thing.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

Disco, when you remove the marker lights on the side of the car, you will need to reinstall them by sliding the clip back on to the car and then pushing the pointy end of the light back into the car to let the friction clip hold the lenses in place. So, no gluing needed.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

K thanx to everyone, ill start saving some money and put pics up ont he progress of the car

Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wtf did you take your car off-roading? lol Those look like off-road tires. Time to get some performance rubber. It will make a huge difference even if you don't change the rims.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Dude i got the car like thats, i think there winter tires, but i have a set of summers too. This BMW across the street looked like crap with the stock rims, and i just saw it tongiht with new rims, its looks amazing

Old 05-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i know i'm just giving you a hard time. They do look like snow tires. And that's good. X-Type + Snow Tires = Can almost climb trees in winter

Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

yEAH, WELL THERE NOT SUPPOSED, I WAS A VICTIM OF WRECKLESS DRIVING YESTERED, TOTALLY SCREWED UP MY CARS, and man i was pissed, the retard just drove off too. And my night was ruined.