X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery, new alternator, no charge.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and I thought it was all over. But it's not. And I re-read the stuff I found. The alternator should only give the 18 volt charge on the overrun, and only if battery is down. It causes misfires and puts the EML on. So I checked with the supplier of the alternator and he sent me another one. So, today, I got back under the bonnet and did it all over again. The new alternator is a Visteon item, as fitted during build, so I thought, this time, it will be ok.
It is ok, all voltages as they should be. I'm getting 13.7volts after a few minutes, dropping to 12.6 after about 5 miles, so that's good. Only problem is that bl--dy battery light is on! I'm beginning to think there is a problem with the car now, either in the wiring or the ECU. Hope it's not the latter, but I'll get more info when I speak to the supplier. Going to have to phone him anyway to arrange to send the dodgy one back. I'll keep you all updated...

The following users liked this post:
Jagalag (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrazen
...and I thought it was all over. But it's not. And I re-read the stuff I found. The alternator should only give the 18 volt charge on the overrun, and only if battery is down... ...The new alternator is a Visteon item, as fitted during build,..
..It is ok, all voltages as they should be. I'm getting 13.7volts after a few minutes, dropping to 12.6 after about 5 miles, so that's good. Only problem is that bl--dy battery light is on! I'm beginning to think there is a problem with the car now, either in the wiring or the ECU. Hope it's not the latter, but I'll get more info when I speak to the supplier... ...I'll keep you all updated...
Hi Terrazen, just wondering what the outcome of your issues were in the end? I'm currently trying to remedy my charging issues on my '08 x-type 2.0D estate, currently attributed to the alternator, with a replacement used analogue unit for the Visteon that was in it, a Lucas LRB00497 that came out of a Mondeo 2.2D also rated at 90A.
I am waiting for it to arrive before fitting, so don't yet know if it will cure it, but the old one certainly had indications of having gone bad (my post, that I hijacked, is quite lengthy: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lights-226903). I've been trying to read round the internet on it but oftentimes the actual solutions and outcomes don't get reported in the threads in the end.
Incidentally, mine has ('had', as I need to replace it as well) a calcium lead battery [Vetech Premium Excel 80A 720Ah] when I got it just over 2 years back

Old 03-24-2024, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator?I've owned 3 x-types and every time I've replaced an alternator I removed t

Originally Posted by Terrazen
...and I thought it was all over. But it's not. And I re-read the stuff I found. The alternator should only give the 18 volt charge on the overrun, and only if battery is down. It causes misfires and puts the EML on. So I checked with the supplier of the alternator and he sent me another one. So, today, I got back under the bonnet and did it all over again. The new alternator is a Visteon item, as fitted during build, so I thought, this time, it will be ok.
It is ok, all voltages as they should be. I'm getting 13.7volts after a few minutes, dropping to 12.6 after about 5 miles, so that's good. Only problem is that bl--dy battery light is on! I'm beginning to think there is a problem with the car now, either in the wiring or the ECU. Hope it's not the latter, but I'll get more info when I speak to the supplier. Going to have to phone him anyway to arrange to send the dodgy one back. I'll keep you all updated...
I've owned 3 x-types and every time I've replaced an alternator I removed the regulator from inside the bad one and placed it in the rebuilt one. I learned the first time that aftermarket regulators all say they are compatible but all cause the battery light to stay in.

This time I've ordered a used one for eBay. Has anyone ever found a new OEM Denso regulator that works?