X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bosch battery - will I lose settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New Bosch battery - will I lose settings

My Jag-X didn't start this morning. The headlights did not dim when I tried to start my Jag but it started when connected the booster cables from my other car. As the battery is almost 5 years old so I am going to replace with a Bosch 94R.

Q: Since I will lose power during the switch will the radio require the factory security code (i don't have it), etc. I hate to have dealer install it and pay them $$.

Anyone who has replaced their battery themselves please share your experience. There is something that plugs into the lighter socket that saves the settings while the battery is out. Will this work on the X-type? Also I am in CA, USA as I hear the radio security codes apply mostly in Europe.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Ray: Our X-Types required a strong battery, so we routinely replace them, and I don't recall any posts about losing the factory security code while replacing the battery, or requiring dealer support for this. My X-Type has never seen California, so if someone knows better, please let us know.

You will need to reset a few things:
+ Climate control will reset from Fahrenheit to Celsius and the fan speed will reset to Auto
+ Trip odometers will reset to zero (but curiously, the odometer won't reset from miles to KM's)
+ The clock will reset (but the radio station presets won't reset)
+ The one-touch feature on the windows will reset. I've read the sunroof also, but haven't experienced this.

Perhaps a few more, but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

The following users liked this post:
niceman (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray: you can also do the "hot switch" witch cables attached to the new battery, but it's a bit tricky - thus NOT RECOMMENDED - and you might need a friend to help you. That means you connect the terminals to the new battery with jumper cables while the old battery is still connected. Then you can loosen the terminal pinch bolts and take out the old battery. Now is the tricky part: placing the new battery into tray and then connecting the terminals while jumper clamps are still connected. But as I said, it's not recommended!

Here's the list of things you have to keep in mind while replacing the battery usual way (page 215 of rtfm):
• Reset the electrically operated windows anti-trap function
• The trip computer will lose all recorded trip data and all trip functions will be reset to zero. The vehicle total odometer reading is retained.
• The radio will not operate until the correct security code has been re-entered.
• If the battery is disconnected for more than 72 hours the radio preset channels will need to be reset.
• Reset the clock to the correct time.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,907 Likes on 3,210 Posts

ray, there is nothing really tricky with connecting up a new battery. Like was mentioned, you will loose the window auto up/down feature. But, this can be easily reset (manually lower the window till it hits the bottom and then continue to hold the button for another 3 seconds, raise the window and hold it for another 3 seconds after it stops going up, repeat for the other windows). You will also loose your radio presets. But, you don't need the radio key to unlock your radio. This is a European thing only. If by chance it does happen, your local Jag dealership will give you the number for free, you just have to prove that the Jag in question is yours (registration is all you need).

With this being said, if you go to a local auto parts place, they will plug in a device to the cigarette lighter that will keep the car powered while the battery is swapped. Then you won't loose any memory settings. They will even replace the battery for free in most cases (you just have to buy the battery).

The following users liked this post:
niceman (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default This Works On My 2002 Jag

Every time I disconnect/reconnect the battery on my 2002 Jag for maintenance, I simply use the following procedure to restore my factory installed radio settings....

How to Restore Radio In X Type - 2002

This routine is for use when “CODE” is displayed on radio LCD after power loss and works providing the original radio is still fitted.

-NOTE –

“PLEASE WAIT” will initially be displayed on the radio LCD and may remain for up to 30 mins before “CODE” is displayed.

Press the [A.MEM], [>>] and [PTY] keys simultaneously. This should restore the radio back to working condition.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Just a reminder...the cigar lighter fuse must be in the "always on" position in order for the memory hold-on to work. If it is set to switched, you'll be plugging into a disconnected circuit.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the quick responses. Much appreciated. Got the battery today. Will install it after work.