X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New! Could use some knowledge!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
what was, the problem with the case failing is that the case physically splits into 2 pieces due to the metal flexing and then failing over time. Under hard acceleration, the case flexes too much. Over time, this leads to fatigue failure and the one side of the case breaking into pieces. So, with the crack in the case, you can see where this will lead to loss of fluid. Granted, a lot of us have "drained" our transfer cases only to find no fluid in the case as it was. So, the "overheat" issue isn't a major concern as I see it. I'm sure if you are doing prolonged high speed driving or lots of back to back hard accelerations that it would lead to an overheat condition, but normal driving, not that big of a worry from what I can tell.
Got it! So the flex causes it to leak...hmm...I wonder if I could beef it up then. Mabey bolt or weld something to another part to cause less flex...

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ...what was that?...
Got it! So the flex causes it to leak...hmm...I wonder if I could beef it up then. Mabey bolt or weld something to another part to cause less flex...
Have fun with that. The long and the short is, if you drive the car like it was intended you're fine. If you think you can sit at a light, rev it to 3500RPM and dump the clutch you will experience the dreaded TC failure. If you're a kid looking for a 1/4 miler you're going to be dissapointed. Work on the handling over the speed and HP and you'll be happy. Get a sport model with stiffer springs and bigger wheels.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,920 Likes on 3,220 Posts

sidewalkman hit it on the head. The X-TYpe is a "sports car" by definition, but when you look at the statistics, its more of a sporty touring vehicle. It is great for cornering and whatnot, but off the line is lacking. I'm sure with enough trying and money (emphasis on money), you could make the X-TYpe a quick car. But, I think you are going to find the hardest part being the transfer case. It is easy to make any motor hit 400 hp. Your trick is getting it to the ground with the X-Type.

I know you are wanting an AWD car for the snow. I say to sit back, enjoy the ride and don't worry about how fast it is light to light. I think you will find a lot more people looking at the car because it is going slow, not drag racing down the street.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 PM

WOW! Thanks for all the info...
So no one has been able to fix the transfer case problem at all?
I have heard of people beefing up other transfer cases like on the old eagle talon and such...no way with the x-type?

Does the S-type come in awd? I like in Wa and have to travel 60 miles a day for work, need something safe and awd.

I am going to try and talk him down, he is a private seller and says he has only had the car for a couple of months. I am going to take it to an import mech in town and have him check it out, just to be safe.
I have a 2002 with a brand new tranny, headlights, abs sensors. air cond. just refueled. also just aligned. 113k black on black. very good condidtion in and out. if interested i could deliver to tri-cities. also could get pic

Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 02 x-type is an automatic with original tc case and tranny (knock on wood). It has almost 127K on it now. The car is great in snow!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Is it an x-type or s-type?
Stick or auto?
And yes a pic would be great!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Have fun with that. The long and the short is, if you drive the car like it was intended you're fine. If you think you can sit at a light, rev it to 3500RPM and dump the clutch you will experience the dreaded TC failure. If you're a kid looking for a 1/4 miler you're going to be dissapointed. Work on the handling over the speed and HP and you'll be happy. Get a sport model with stiffer springs and bigger wheels.

LoL I understand that, I would only dump the cluch on a mustang or BMW 330 or 130 (i think thats the one...). I never dump it on an awd, just plain stupid...
Most would consider me a kid on here I am sure, (20 years old...) But I am mature for my age

I am just worried about where I live, Lots of hills! so starting on the hill with all the college students who like to like your bumper while at a red light, and that I like to do a rolling start speed up-not a dump clutch at the light

Any one know of really good sport springs for the x-type?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,920 Likes on 3,220 Posts

whatthe, when it comes to sport springs, you have 2 choices. Both lower the car by 1.4 inches all the way around (or keeps you at stock height for a sport model). Some will say the new springs give a stiffer ride, others say the ride doesn't change. I will leave that to you. I can't say that I have heard anything bad about either manufacturer, but then, both of the manufacturers are brand name companies (Eibach and 1 other one). Installing the new springs is fairly easy, just remember to get an alignment afterwards as the spring height will affect the alignment of the car.

As for starting the X-Type on a hill, I would tell you that is why the e-brake is there on the center console. Plant your foot firmly on the brake, set the e-brake, have a hand on the steering wheel, one on the e-brake, a foot on the gas, and the other foot going from the brake (once the e-brake is set) to the clutch. From there, you can put the car in gear, when the light turns green, put a little bit of load on the engine via the clutch, let off the e-brake and let out on the clutch more and more as you apply more gas. Should cause the car to roll forward only even with a manual tranny. Always worked for me when I was driving a stick on a routine basis.

The following users liked this post:
...what was that?... (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
whatthe, when it comes to sport springs, you have 2 choices. Both lower the car by 1.4 inches all the way around (or keeps you at stock height for a sport model). Some will say the new springs give a stiffer ride, others say the ride doesn't change. I will leave that to you. I can't say that I have heard anything bad about either manufacturer, but then, both of the manufacturers are brand name companies (Eibach and 1 other one). Installing the new springs is fairly easy, just remember to get an alignment afterwards as the spring height will affect the alignment of the car.

As for starting the X-Type on a hill, I would tell you that is why the e-brake is there on the center console. Plant your foot firmly on the brake, set the e-brake, have a hand on the steering wheel, one on the e-brake, a foot on the gas, and the other foot going from the brake (once the e-brake is set) to the clutch. From there, you can put the car in gear, when the light turns green, put a little bit of load on the engine via the clutch, let off the e-brake and let out on the clutch more and more as you apply more gas. Should cause the car to roll forward only even with a manual tranny. Always worked for me when I was driving a stick on a routine basis.
Thanks
I was more worried about my fiance...she isn't the best at stick lol.
Eibach, Not bad...I will have to look into it more!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Also, any one have the eibach springs? Whats the max tire you ran?
I want to run at least 18's...if possible...

Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 AM

BUMP!
Also, has anyone gotten a port and polish on there intake/heads and seen major improvment?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

From my personal owner ship the transmission was my weak link and aftert hat the whole car began to cave in, I had a 02 and with the original transfer case, when i sold it it had 99XXX kilometers on it. If you can try and get a 04 and up, even though the awd is moe fwd biased?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

BUMP!
Also, has anyone gotten a port and polish on there intake/heads and seen major improvment?
Theres a guy, google it that has evoted a whole website to get more power of the x type, and he has done this. i cant get you the link right now, but maybe latter when im home from work

Theres also a airbox mod that aids in airflow, and make the car louder.