Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: New to the Forum Head light Question

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  4.7 KB

Try these links umanc..........they should be useful. Online stores? I used Performance bulbs.co.uk..........but I guess it depends to a degree where you are.
Regarding info for changing, sorry, I cant be more help. All I can say is it's not easy. In fact it's so much of a pain that when I upgraded all my bulbs, I took mine to an autospark and he did the job fora few quid.

JC

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_3604/tm.htm
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_5654/tm.htm

Old 04-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: UmanaC71

Im new to the Forum I have a burn out head light on my 2002 type X 2.5 and how do I find out if its a HID or a normal Head light Also any good online stores were I can get it for a good price and were can I get instructions on how to change it.
If you dont have headlamp washers then its a normal headlamp (unless someone has upgraded it since it left the factory).
If you do have headlamp washers look on the headlight for a metal box about 3 inches or so square by about 1/2" thick.If you see this it has HIDs.If you dont its a normal headlight.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umanna;
my drivers side headlight is out, and i took a quick glance at the set up. it doesnt look easy, maybe horribly complicated for just a fricken headlight.
butI might be wrong it was just a quick look, i will let you know when idoit.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not that hard, all you need is a long screw driver to take off the cover and skinny hands.

If you guys need instructions, let me know.

I have some new bulbs for sale also.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM

sorry i still have checked it out yet, i have been putting alot of hours at work.

envy,I think i may need those instuctions, cause from what I remember,I saw a black case that looks like the area is too small to take the casing off?

Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not that bad house. Its rather simple just hopefully you have skinny hands! The most important part is to make sure the back is sealed when you clamp the back cover back on. If its not sealed the lights will leak and have condensation in the lamp. Just look in there and there are two metal loops, 1 to the left of the housing and than one closer to the fender. Remove those and pull the back cover off and you will see the bulb sitting there. Undo the electrical connector and than undo the two little metal rods holding the bulb in there! Pull the bulb out and replace with a new one-DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB!~ You can use latex gloves if need be. Your best bet (if you have regular halogens, not HID) just buy the regular sylvania halogens as many people on here including me have had problems with other bulbs blowing. I've installed any h1 type bulb and have had no luck whether I spend 14 dollars on a pair of bulbs or buy the sylvania silverstars which are some of the most expensive halogens on the market. If you need pics let me know.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Good looking out Aquill,

I think i am going to cut out early today and see if i can fit my hand in there and do it before it gets dark. From my last look it just didnt seem possible that the black casing would even be able to move with everything crammed in there. I noticed the way the front bumper was bolted around the headlights, i thought i was going to have to take the whole front assembly off to change a light.
I am so glad its not as bad as i thought. Butt my hands are not small so its going to be "fun".

Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

My hands aren't small but they aren't as huge as my farmer grandpa who has huge hands. You might have to squeeze your hands where it feels like metal is cutting your hand off but as long as you can see whats going on you'll be fine. The driver side is wayyyyy easier than the passenger which it sounds like you are doing the passenger??? Just make sure that when you use the two metal things that hold the back on are on properly and the slots go in the groove smoothly as when you go wash the car they will fog up because its not sealed. Not to worry though once they do just take it back off and play with it til you get it right!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks again Aguill, you da man!!!

I tried it today, and crap it was a pain. I couldnt get my hand in to get the clip by the fender i had to use a skinnny screw driver. so it was a pain in the butt just to get the black casing off, but i found a new problem. so i pull out the bulb from the lens and then i couldntget the bulb from the wire connecter. it looked like it was sodered on or it melted to the wires????? tried for about fifteen minutes to get it off with no luck. then when i gave up and decided to just but it back and take it to the dealer. i was moving the wire to put it back in the lens i jiggled it and the light went on, all that work and all i need to do was jiggle the wires? the light is hottttttttt.
so now i think i have a worse problem.....if the bulb work then its an electrical problem

Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Let me try to understand this jiggled it? Did you end up getting the bulb off of the wires or not? I'm not sure if you noticed but there are two metal pieces that hold the actual bulb itself into the headlamp. You must remove these to get the bulb out. It's best to pull on the electrical wires from the bulb now. From what you are saying there is no connector and the bulb is soldered to the wires? If you need I will take step by step pics to show you what I'm talking about. It is possible that the connector I am speaking of could have been bent or something because the connector is pretty cheap and cheasy to me. My ford truck had a better way of connecting the bulb than this jag does. Good luck with it all!

Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 PM

After takingtime out of my weekend to really look at the wiring and headlights i have come to this conclusion. The person before me must have either soldered the bulb to the wire connecter or used some glue on the bulb. I gue that person saw the cheap connection and thought it wouldnt hold stay plugged in. I am probably going to have to cut the wires andattach a newbulb connector?
I never thought it would be this hard for a fricken light bulb.
Thanks everone for your help especially you aquill, good looking out.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hey no problem man, just here to help and make everyones life a little better, if I'm able!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

That's your part time job aquiller. Giving people a hard time is what you do on your spare time!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

That's your part time job aquiller. Giving people a hard time is what you do on your spare time!
Actually bigdreams its the other way around, part time job is to hassle and give people are hard time be as sarcastic as I possibly can be and than helping out is the spare time one! I help when I can just sarcastic to a few lucky fellers i.e. you, jimmy, racer.....!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hey house any updates?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM

Sorry, i have been very busy.
i do have an update.
two sundays ago, i spent about an hour trying to gett the bulb from the wires, It was glued and have know idea why. I was about to just give up cut the connector and rewire it, instead i tried to melt the glue and then pull real hard. It worked!!!!!!
The funny thing is the bulb is still good but the glue held it in a place where it wasnt connecting right. I replaced the bulb any way. I dont think i am in the mood to do the drivers side, it looks like i have to take out the battery. so i am just going to wait until i get my oil changed at the dealer and have them change all four bulbs.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

I actually thought the drivers side was easier to tell you the truth house! You don't get cut like the passenger side...

Old 05-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquill1
ORIGINAL: bigdreams05
Actually bigdreams its the other way around, part time job is to hassle and give people are hard time be as sarcastic as I possibly can be and than helping out is the spare time one! I help when I can just sarcastic to a few lucky fellers i.e. you, jimmy, racer.....!!!
Hey Aquill...........how you doin bro?
You need to try harder with your sarcasm mate........I never noticed.....lol
Anyway.........you're alright.....don't let anybody tell you different

JC

Old 05-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]OHHH thanks JIMMY![sm=love.gif]

Quick Reply: New to the Forum Head light Question