X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Headlight installation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Headlight installation...

Well my new headlight lens arrived today and I am ready for the installation tomorrow. I have a case of beer and a first aid kit ready just incase it gets dangerous.

I realize the front bumper has to come off as there are 3 screws holding the lens to the car - they are behind the upper part of the front bumper.

I would imagine where the bumper meets the fenders there are a few screws there. I am sure the wheels have to come off, inner wheel wells too. I would really like not to take the bumpe off entirely but loosen it enough just to slide the lens out.

Has anyone ever done this before? If so could you furnish the screw locations? Any other pieces that have to come off prior? Thank you!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts
Default RE: New Headlight installation...

Christo, unfortunately, the whole bumper cover needs to come off. You will need to remove the 2 bolts on each side just above the headlights and then you will also need to remove all the bolts on the black plastic piece connecting the underframe to the bottom of the bumper cover (something like 12 bolts here). 3 of the bolts on each side are in the fenderwell. I managed to pull all the bolts off without taking the tires off. ONce you get all of these bolts off, you will have 2 final bolts (1 on each side. Using a 10 mm socket, you will need to reach up under the bumper cover and reach for the upper corner of the bumper cover where it meets the wheel well. There is a single bolt there that holds the corner of the bumper cover in place. At this point, the bumper cover will be loose and you will need to pull it straight out on the sides to release the retaining clips on the side. Once those are loose, then you can pull the bumper cover off of the front of the car.

The bolts on the underside/wheel wells are a T-25 fastener as I recall. If not T-25, then T-27.

Once you get the bumper cover off, on the bottom side of the headlight is 2 more bolts on each side. These are 10 mm bolts. Once those are loose, the headlights should fall right out.

If you have more questions, just ask.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X

Old 10-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

[sm=alcoholic.gif]not for the faint of heart.....

Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

It takes more time to worry about all the screws than it actually takes to undo them all.
there are many, but to do it right just means to stop chit chatting and get unscrewing...

It is surprising how easy it is to get the bumper off, once you start.
I agree that the best way is to lift the front of the car and get both front wheels off. It makes life easier in the wheel wells, and under the bumper too.

Not sure what you mean by new lenses... ? where did you get them? why are you changing jus the lenses?
I figured the wheel wells would be the hardest part. I just wanted to get rid of the Jaguar factor as something not being what it seems. I just didnt want any suprises, but it looks like it is just going to be a bunch of screws. I have a hydraulic jack so I can lift the car and sit it on some stands or cinder blocks - I have to see what I have laying around. Ramps would not help me unless I lay the car down on them and that is not right.

By lens I mean the entire headlight assembly. My neighbors kid is learning to ride a bike and didn't quite learn how to stop. She crashed into my car while it was parked in the driveway and broke the passenger side lens. Its all cool and took care of everything for me. He was actually able to get 2 for the price of 1 so I am all about that...

Now it is time to start unscrewing.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Thermo

Christo, unfortunately, the whole bumper cover needs to come off. You will need to remove the 2 bolts on each side just above the headlights and then you will also need to remove all the bolts on the black plastic piece connecting the underframe to the bottom of the bumper cover (something like 12 bolts here). 3 of the bolts on each side are in the fenderwell. I managed to pull all the bolts off without taking the tires off. ONce you get all of these bolts off, you will have 2 final bolts (1 on each side. Using a 10 mm socket, you will need to reach up under the bumper cover and reach for the upper corner of the bumper cover where it meets the wheel well. There is a single bolt there that holds the corner of the bumper cover in place. At this point, the bumper cover will be loose and you will need to pull it straight out on the sides to release the retaining clips on the side. Once those are loose, then you can pull the bumper cover off of the front of the car.

The bolts on the underside/wheel wells are a T-25 fastener as I recall. If not T-25, then T-27.

Once you get the bumper cover off, on the bottom side of the headlight is 2 more bolts on each side. These are 10 mm bolts. Once those are loose, the headlights should fall right out.

If you have more questions, just ask.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X
Thanks for being so thorough, that was just what I was looking for. Not taking the wheels off is a plus and I will be able to drive the car up some ramps...

Old 10-19-2008, 08:50 AM

Well the headlights are in and I took some pictures with my cell phone of the bumper cover off and the new headlights - not as bad as I thought - the bumper can be taken off without taking the wheels off. Props to everyone who posted - thanks a bunch!