X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hotness...20s

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New Hotness...20s

I still need to get my rear fenders either cut or rolled as I am slightly still clipping it on right turns (odd it is not doing it on left turns), getting an alignment tomorrow evening...I really like the new look...

Before.

After:

Unfortunately the center caps are much larger than the Jag ones so I am going to have to figure out a different route.

Attached Thumbnails New Hotness...20s-wp_20140111_08_16_31_pro_zpsaca0b94c.jpg   New Hotness...20s-temporary_zpsfcc22817.jpg   New Hotness...20s-temporary_zps5b29cd16.jpg   New Hotness...20s-temporary_zps70978a2a.jpg  

Last edited by bracester; 01-24-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Wow. That looks so much better than I thought it would. Cut the inner lip out BEFORE you roll it. I didn't, and no matter how hot you get the paint, it will chip. Post a pic of what your center caps look like, I'll dig out some of the aftermarket caps I have and show you what you can do, its pretty easy once you see them taken apart. Post more pics too.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Justink201
Wow. That looks so much better than I thought it would. Cut the inner lip out BEFORE you roll it. I didn't, and no matter how hot you get the paint, it will chip. Post a pic of what your center caps look like, I'll dig out some of the aftermarket caps I have and show you what you can do, its pretty easy once you see them taken apart. Post more pics too.
Thanks brother! It did turn out better than I thought as well. I will post more pictures when the sun freakin comes out...silly California overcast...

Ya I am contacting a custom body shop today to see what it would cost to have them cut...they do solid work.

The center cap thing so far I am liking them as they are carbon fiber (hard to see from the pictures). Hopefully mother nature will ease up on the clouds so I can get some solid pictures in.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,884 Likes on 3,192 Posts

If you are looking for something custom with the center caps, something that you can ponder is if you have some knowledge of computer graphic design, you can make your own center caps. In short, you can make your own design on a black background (since these wheels are black) and then you print this image on to "white backed decal paper" in a size that will fit on the center cap. From there, you cut the decal to fit on the center cap, you dip the decal paper in water and after about a minute, you can pull the decal paper out of the water and transfer the decal on to the center cap. Then you use a paper towel to push all the water out from underneath the decal and set it in place using a product like Testor's Solvaset (available at most hobby stores or you can simply use 99% isopropyl alcohol). Once the decal is completely dry, you will need to shoot a good coat of gloss coat (or matching sheen clear) over the decal (this will have a UV blocker in it and it will help keep the color bright, especially the reds as they will tend to fade over time).

There is a little more to this. If you want to know more, let me know. It is easy to do. Printing things with a color laser is the best thing to do, but an ink jet works too (just make sure to set it to the highest quality that you can).

Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
If you are looking for something custom with the center caps, something that you can ponder is if you have some knowledge of computer graphic design, you can make your own center caps. In short, you can make your own design on a black background (since these wheels are black) and then you print this image on to "white backed decal paper" in a size that will fit on the center cap. From there, you cut the decal to fit on the center cap, you dip the decal paper in water and after about a minute, you can pull the decal paper out of the water and transfer the decal on to the center cap. Then you use a paper towel to push all the water out from underneath the decal and set it in place using a product like Testor's Solvaset (available at most hobby stores or you can simply use 99% isopropyl alcohol). Once the decal is completely dry, you will need to shoot a good coat of gloss coat (or matching sheen clear) over the decal (this will have a UV blocker in it and it will help keep the color bright, especially the reds as they will tend to fade over time).

There is a little more to this. If you want to know more, let me know. It is easy to do. Printing things with a color laser is the best thing to do, but an ink jet works too (just make sure to set it to the highest quality that you can).
Dang Thermo! Thats a pretty intense process. However, this is a great idea and I would like to do it eventually as the center caps I was going to use were green with the chrome growler to finish off the look. I would need to re-think colors for sure on that...but possibly I might be able to peel off the jaguar center cap sticker and re-use it on this centercap as I believe the logo is the same size...will have to do some measuring

Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Thermo is like that guy that knows a good amount of info on just about everything. I thought about looking into something like that for my center caps but since you can get aftermarket Jag caps in different colors on ebay for around 20 bucks a set I just went that route, and pealed the Jag emblem off the and put it on the other caps like Bracester is talking about. I might try the custom decal thing later though since I have 3 sets of wheels now.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Justink201
Thermo is like that guy that knows a good amount of info on just about everything. I thought about looking into something like that for my center caps but since you can get aftermarket Jag caps in different colors on ebay for around 20 bucks a set I just went that route, and pealed the Jag emblem off the and put it on the other caps like Bracester is talking about. I might try the custom decal thing later though since I have 3 sets of wheels now.
I also found some black newer style jaguar center cap decals on ebay too...might give those a try since they have a black background and a chrome growler...and I measured last night they should cover the Niche center nicely.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Excuse my ignorance, but why would you be clipping the rear fender wells on a turn? Also wondering how you handled the TPM System.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bdevenyvm
Nice. Excuse my ignorance, but why would you be clipping the rear fender wells on a turn?
I also find that to be a good question...for some reason when I make right turns it seems as though the rear end moves ever so slightly and rubs against the inside of the left rear fender...I can't figure it out either as the car drives like a rock on the road and there have been no issues.

And my year does have TPMS so that made it a littler cheaper yet. The last car I had did have TPMS and I had to have the new modules programmed to the car...not a huge deal usually just reset the ECU and all better

Last edited by bracester; 01-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bdevenyvm (01-27-2014)