X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new jag and problems already. :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new jag and problems already. :(

hi everyone. i have just purchased a 2003 2.0 diesel x type. the was will not start from cold unless i use a jump pack and flick the key about 10 times, also when driving under load the glowplug light come on then the car cuts out, if i flick the key off the on the car will drive fine until i have to put it under load. i have code read the car as the eml light came on and i got the code p0251. am i right in thinking this is a fuel issue? thanks very much for reading, i hope someone can help me. Dale Spencer.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Dale, first off, welcome to JaguarForums. Hopefully you will like it here and spend a lot of time with us. But, we do ask a very simple thing. Please stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch and we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to see who the movers and shakers are around these parts. We strive to be a different car group than what you find in other places. So, sit back, grab a cup of Joe and enjoy.

As for your problem. The code is saying that the ECU is not getting back the same signal that it sent out to the Electronic Fuel Control Actuator (FCA). So, this pretty much leaves the problem to 1 of 2 things most likely. Either your FCA is bad, leading to your fuel control issue, or the wiring going to/from the FCA is damaged and the computer is doing into a fail safe mode and doing things to try and "protect the engine".

If you need me to go into more detail or need any other assistance, please let JF know and I am sure someone around here will be able to assist.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi thermo, sorry i didn't stop buy the new members section, i will post in there now. where is the fca located and can i purchase a new one? does it matter that my car has a vacuum type? thanks again for all of your help.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Dale, I am looking at the diagrams that I have and it is completely silent on the fuel system for the diesel engine. The best advice that I can give you is that if you look at the top of the engine, you should see the fuel rail. Follow that back and near the firewall (most likely), you will see where the fuel line will go into a block. It will have some wires coming off of it (which if you follow, should go to the ECU which is located right in front of the driver for your car).

From there, you can hopefully figure things out. Unfortunately, here in the US, we don't get to play with diesel engines all that much. So, I am at a little bit of a disadvantage other than my time spent working on the larger trucks (Ford F-350's and the like).