X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - Jaguar X-Type problems - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Jaguar X-Type problems - Need Help

My name is Jeremy, from Austin, Texas and I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type. I just recently joined this forum after reading a bunch of useful tips and information in the past few months. Here is the quick background and my 2 major issues:

I just had engine replaced ( used @ 90,000 ) as well as a bad catalytic converter. Now it is throwing a P1234 code, which is Fuel Pump Control Module Off-line. The battery light comes on and off. Takes a few cranks in morning to start, power surges a couple minutes, then idles. Drives fine, until I have to start again. Alternator tests at 14.98 volts @ idle with no load, Battery is brand new.

My thought is that the fuel pump control module problem is because the charging issue not working right. I didn't have these issues before engine replacement and I find it weird that the fuel pump control module and charging issues are now occuring. Maybe something didin't get plugged back in correctly to engine/cat????

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am taking back to mechanic this weekend to have him look at it again.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you checked all the earth points for tightness/corrosion?

Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Have you checked all the earth points

Oooo, don't you love it when a Brit talks dirty...

Heh, our ground is their earth.

I wonder what they call it in Oz and in other places around the world?
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Eeeeither ... Eiiiiiither ... Sime call it pedantry, but perhaps that's pretentious! LOL.

In the fields of electronics that are subject to compliance with international standards (eg IEEE standards for medical equipment), the term "earth" is used to signify any points in an electrical circuit that are at a constant zero potential relative to any power, signal or other potentials in the circuit. Thjs includes any elements which are grouped together within the equipment. The term "ground" or "grounded" is reserved for the special case of the single connection of the equipment (whether case or accumulated earth points) to the external ground - eg via power cord plugged into grounded power outlet.

Applied to our Jaguars, the internal earth points are what we should check as per very good advice here. However, with the great distances we Aussies tend to travel in our Jags, we suffer badly from the frightfully long electrical cable tethered back to our grounded power outlet!

Jf you ask an Aussie a silly question, it is just possible you will get a silly answer ... and on that note, I shall retire ... bruised but never beaten.
Cheers,
Ken

Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

long story short. check your grounds. Check your wires coming from the fuel pump as well as your alt wiring. It sounds like a ground to me.

Good Luck,
The Dr!

Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hi Jeremy;
I guess my earlier attempt at humour was to mask my surprise that you would not immediately take your car straight back to the mechanic to whom you have paid good money, and respectfully but firmly insist that these new faults you have inherited, be fixed.

Yes, you can start a methodical process to identify and diagnose the cause, then resolve how to fix it - and perhaps the earthing points/grounds are as good as anywhere to start. So also are all the dozens of connectors which would have been disturbed by the mechanics who undertook the work already done. Unplug, check, clean, spray and re-insert each. I could equally advise you to check the alternator wiring (battery light) and ECM connections. The list goes on ... Are you sure there are no codes other than the P1234 you reported?

But why? ... when you have inherited the problem as a result of paid work. Reputable mechanics welcome the opportunity to make good on these sort of issues.

Please get back to us with news from your mechanic.
Best wishes.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try and check all the ground ( earth ) points this weekend. It only throws the P1234 code. Used to throw a P0430 code for the bad cat, but it's since been replaced. Have not checked the fuel pump wiring, but it is located under back seat and should still be in tact on that end. I don't think mechanic had to do anything there. Haven't been able to take back to mechanic yet, because of work, but plan to take a couple days off next week to take back and have him double check all the wiring ( if I cant figure it out this weekend).

I'll let you guys know.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

You could get a thick grounding wire kit too on ebay for like $25, it will help with engine idle and you can make sure you have everything in your engine bay really grounded. I used one in my car and noticed a difference but they especially recommend them for engine swaps probably for this reason.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,856 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy's Jag
My name is Jeremy, from Austin, Texas and I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type. I just recently joined this forum after reading a bunch of useful tips and information in the past few months. .....
Welcome to the forum Jeremy,

I thought you'd gone to ground after being worked over the International Brains Trust! Good advice amongst the banter here.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham