X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to this problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation new to this problem

Hi i had a lil problem with my x type 2.5 petrol, i started it in the morning and drove it for about 45mins,stopped to refuel and bang car won't start,

all dash board lights light up all electrics working eg radio lights and A/C but when I turn the key there is nothing only the dials on the dash flicker. Then 5mins later i tried again and bang on it start but leaves me with a CHECK ENGINE light on the instrument cluster. At my final destination, i turned off the ignition and tried starting it after an hr, and halleluyah, the car starts and CHECK ENGINE light is off. anyone have any ideas?

Again i have noticed that the A/C doesn't chills esp when am in traffic. i have had it checked several times but the mechanic doesn't seem to know the cause as everything seem ok ie no coolant loss or leaks. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

kindly be informed that i drive my cat in Ghana where there is no dealership for the vehicle. Thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,906 Likes on 3,210 Posts

baffourg, the starting issue sounds like a bad battery cable. Could be the positive wire, could be the negative wire. Do you have access to a multimeter? That would be what is needed to prove a wire bad. As for getting replacement parts, you should be able to go to any auto parts place and get a generic battery cable of the proper length and install it and be good. The new wires should be fairly cheap (normally about $15 USD each, required 2 worst case) and installing them is pretty straight forward. The only caution I would give you is if you do it yourself, disconnect both terminals off of the battery, replace the wire(s) on the car side and then as the final step, reconnect the battery terminals. This will prevent any accidental sparks. I also recommend disconnecting the negative terminal first and then installing the negative terminal last. Again, this is done for safety and preventing accidental sparks.

As for the A/C issue, this can be 1 of 2 problems. Does your car run hotter in stop and go traffic (ie, start to creep up to say 3/4 of the way to "H")? If yes, then the fan controller is more than likely going on you and you are not getting full voltage to the fans, which is then limiting their speeds and ultimately the amount of air flowing through the radiator and A/C condenser. The other issue is one of the flappers in the dash may have shifted slightly, so, you are not getting a damper position to force all the air over the A/C cooling coil, leading to the air not getting cooled sufficiently. I have a PDF file on this issue and involves getting access to the dash, removing an actuator and re-installing it back in the correct orientation. If you want this to mess around with, let me know. In short, you have to remove the glove box on a left hand drive vehicle and then remove the actuator to reposition. Not a tough job, but not a lot of room to move around either.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 AM

am very grateful for your replies. i think i may need to get new battery cables and since i don't have a multi meter i will do the right thing by changing both cables to be safe.

reference the A/C, when am in traffic the temp gauge doesn't rise,infact it stay just slightly below the half mark so maybe i need to look at your second option, and i think i would like to do it myself so will appreciate it if u sent the pdf document to me.

thank you

Old 05-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by baffourg
am very grateful for your replies. i think i may need to get new battery cables and since i don't have a multi meter i will do the right thing by changing both cables to be safe.

reference the A/C, when am in traffic the temp gauge doesn't rise,infact it stay just slightly below the half mark so maybe i need to look at your second option, and i think i would like to do it myself so will appreciate it if u sent the pdf document to me.

thank you
Save yourself some money, remove the old cables, take them into an Auto store, whatever is local and match them up. Like both will be in at less than 50.00.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Default tc fluid change all by myself

thank you guys for the wonderful advice. First of all i had the voltage checked in the battery and it turn out that it was around 10 so it was obvious that the battery was the problem to my inability to start the car, so i had it changed and now the A/c too freezes like i've always wanted.

Ok so this morning i decided to go dirty on myself by changing the oil in the tc and i can tell you that i got less than 100ml of very dirty oil which undoubtedly could have lead to the breakdown of my tc. i flushed the system till i noticed it was clean. Infact my adventure did not end there following my findings so i opened the back axle too and bang!!!...... no oil at all in it, so i pumped the same amount of gear oil into it. Currently the car run very smoothly and i drove it over 100mph and the whinning sound is gone. Am very grateful to you guys and i promise myself that i will be checking the oil in the tc from time to time. The amazing thing is that it cost me less than $55.

the other thing i need to look at now is the right front lower arm bushings cos i think its gone.

am glad i got on board the forum and i will forever be grateful to you all esp THERMO MODERATOR.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,906 Likes on 3,210 Posts

baffourg, with your transfer case and the loss of fluid, crawl back under the car and look at where the driveshaft for the rear of the car meets the transfer case. Now, look up (at the underside of the floor boards/tranny hump). do you see a black dirt layer there? if so, you most likely have a leaking rear seal on your transfer case. This can normally be resolved by simply unbolting the rear driveshaft from the transfer case, then you will need to remove the nut from the flange (nut is inside the flange, the flange is what holds the driveshaft to the transfer case). Remove the nut, slide out the tapered washer in there, add a little bit of RTV around the edges of the tapered washer and tighten back down. That should solve your fluid loss. If that doesn't, then the repair is much more involved and probably not something you are doing in your driveway.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile AC problem

Originally Posted by baffourg
Hi i had a lil problem with my x type 2.5 petrol, i started it in the morning and drove it for about 45mins,stopped to refuel and bang car won't start,

all dash board lights light up all electrics working eg radio lights and A/C but when I turn the key there is nothing only the dials on the dash flicker. Then 5mins later i tried again and bang on it start but leaves me with a CHECK ENGINE light on the instrument cluster. At my final destination, i turned off the ignition and tried starting it after an hr, and halleluyah, the car starts and CHECK ENGINE light is off. anyone have any ideas?

Again i have noticed that the A/C doesn't chills esp when am in traffic. i have had it checked several times but the mechanic doesn't seem to know the cause as everything seem ok ie no coolant loss or leaks. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

kindly be informed that i drive my cat in Ghana where there is no dealership for the vehicle. Thanks
I can tell you how to fix the AC problem. When I got my 03 the previous owner kept all the service records from new. One had a complaint about the AC running hot and cold. The Jaguar dealer "reflashed" the computer and all was well. Mine is starting to do this again, there is also another possibility the fan control module might be going bad. But you need a dealer or a very well equipped shop that works on Jaguars to figure which is the problem.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

My A/C would blow hot when ever I stopped for a traffisc light or driving slow around town. My '07 is covered by an extended warranty so I took it to the dealer who found the compressor was bad. Until the part comes in I drive in "S" mode to keep the engine rpm's up. Jack

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I bet when the new compressor is installed you will have the same problem. As many cases I have read about this problem it was never the compressor, it was either the computer or the fan switch. Before you get the new compressor installed asked the dealer to re flash the AC portion of the computer control and see what happens,seeing you have a warranty, it should be free. When the compressor goes, you get nothing no cooling at all. I had several cars whose AC worked and the next day warm air. In these cases it was the compressor, no warming at all. Also, I have this problem of a great mistrust with car dealers new cars or used car dealers So my ranting should not effect your decision. As they know all.

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 06-05-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: add text