X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New proud owner of.... lots of problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MeatBag
Welcome to our obsession USMC_KAK!

Whatever you need to do to her is probably going to be well worth the time effort and expense. The X-Type is a nice, solid, and reliable car.

I don't know how much you shopped around, but I recently helped my son shop for and buy a car - and for $3,000 (his budget too) you wind up looking at some really sketchy vehicles. So even if you do end up putting a few K into addressing the issues, it'll probably be well worthwhile if you end up with a solid car.

Clearing a mouse nest, new rotors and pads, repainting a rust spot - they just aren't that bad. When I bought mine I read everything on the forum - which can start to freak you out with worry about all the problems you MIGHT run into - just keep in mind that people tend to jump on only when something's wrong and they're excited. But I've found there's LOTS of great advice and how-to's in here. Get yourself a copy of the JTIS (shop manual on DVD) too - invaluable.

I'm in mid-Westchester, and our local Dealer (White Plains Jaguar) has been pretty good for the five years I've had her, but keep your BS-detector sharp - some service reps there are better than others.

I got the same drilled/slotted rotors last year and had the dealer put them on for me. The only issue I've had is a bit of periodic noise (weird moaning) from the rears when you first start driving. The service rep looked at it and said it was "dirt getting onto the rotors due to the open wheels that help cool the brakes." It's the same sound I've had from regular disks after it rains and they show a bit of rust - which gets cleared quickly once you start driving, and the sound stops. Only difference is i park it in a garage, and even when it doesn't get wet, it often makes the sound for a minute or two once i start driving. The ceramic pads do seem to make less (or at least less visible?) brake dust.

Anyway, Welcome, happy tinkering, and post some pix for us to drool over...
Oh a fellow NYer, I work in hartsdale & live in Valhalla for now. I will post some pictures this weekend, there are a number of projects to get through and I think they will make for good posts if I take lots of pictures.

I am going to try and avoid the dealership at all costs, I hope I can do most if not all repairs myself, and if not I have a good local mech in thornwood to help. I was looking at those rotors, and once I pull mine I will have an idea of what is going on. I might glass bead the current ones and see if that works for now. Im worried about future more expensive parts so If I can use the same rotors and just do pads for a while I will be happy.

I need to keep a tight budget for the next few months so prioritizing is important. First clear check eninge light so I can pass inspection in the next 10 days. Then fluids and lubricants.

Oh i downloaded the manual on my tablet and I am trying to get the other thing working on my computer. That helps a lot! Since my wife, daughter, and I have moved back to westchester for my job I have access to a fantastic garage (thanks dad) so I have a summer to work out most of these issues.

Lets hope I am this optimistic after I start turning the wrench this weekend!