X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Time LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nycxtype
HoW i managed to screw up this mod is beyond me!...i wanted to put some cool no error smd leds in my "city lights"....twisted of the cover on the battery side light and started to try to remove the bulb...its really tight in there...i tried to twist off the bulb and pull it out but it just keeps turning...in the process, my light doesnt work now! Got so frustrated covered it up and went to bed!....
Does the bulb come out by twisting it off? Maybe i loosened something? How do you get these bulbs out?!!...i would really appreciate some help....
The bulb socket just pulls straight out of the headlight, no twisting involved. You probably broke one of the wires going into the socket (a broken wire can also still be covered by the wire's insulation, invisible to the naked eye).

The following users liked this post:
nycxtype (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Thanks!! really? It must take some kinda force because I tried that and thats why I started twisting in the first place! It didnt just pull straight out... gotta go try that now and fix what I screwed up...Thanks so much...

Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Led's

Originally Posted by gragner66
LOL gold 04 xtype. that would suck getting sucker punched with wood panel & the bage. good thing im in driver seat lol. Thnx Adam the LEDs are from advance auto and the carbon is a vinyl wrap from stickercity.com
One more question, are the LED bulbs the same number as the regular bulbs that fit in the high beam bucket? Thanks as always.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

No but the package tells what bulb# it replaces

Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nycxtype
HoW i managed to screw up this mod is beyond me!...i wanted to put some cool no error smd leds in my "city lights"....twisted of the cover on the battery side light and started to try to remove the bulb...its really tight in there...i tried to twist off the bulb and pull it out but it just keeps turning...in the process, my light doesnt work now! Got so frustrated covered it up and went to bed!....
Does the bulb come out by twisting it off? Maybe i loosened something? How do you get these bulbs out?!!...i would really appreciate some help....
Don't check the Driver's Handbook. No really don't! I thought I would be helpful and just check for you which way to turn to dislodge them. My Handbook says turn "anti-clockwise" to disengage the holder. Trouble is the diagram and instructions say they are in the dipped beam housing. Which they aren't. So...I thought I would give it a try. Unscrewed the high beam cap, got a hold of the small bulb holder and it just spins. Both directions. And it doesn't come out. Now I want to know the secret too. Knowing how delicate these housings are, there is no way I wanted to start pulling without feeling the holder disengage.

nycxtype (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 AM

the small bulb in the upper inner corner in the high beam bucket on my 05 sport pulls straight out. grip the plug harness not the wires you may pull them out. hope this helps

Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 AM

@mohrd-thanks for giving it a shot! Hope your lights still work! I screwed up messing around trying to do this mod-youre right-they just spin and they don't simply pull out-thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy! Maybe the OPs 05 just pulls out-but not ours! I'm pretty much stuck here-dont want to do any more damage until I can get a definitive answer-gotta wait until the weekend tho..I will keep you posted. I gotta say..this forum is very helpful and not nasty too! Very different from my honda cbr forum where I get cursed out most of the time and constant "flaming" is the norm-glad to be here-thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 PM

@gragner66-thanks for your help-i didn't pull straight on the wires but maybe I wasn't pulling on the harness-this is all done by feeling-i think I might have been pulling on a part of the bulb maybe-i will try again and see what happens-thanks again

Old 11-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Bulb removal

Originally Posted by mohrd
Don't check the Driver's Handbook. No really don't! I thought I would be helpful and just check for you which way to turn to dislodge them. My Handbook says turn "anti-clockwise" to disengage the holder. Trouble is the diagram and instructions say they are in the dipped beam housing. Which they aren't. So...I thought I would give it a try. Unscrewed the high beam cap, got a hold of the small bulb holder and it just spins. Both directions. And it doesn't come out. Now I want to know the secret too. Knowing how delicate these housings are, there is no way I wanted to start pulling without feeling the holder disengage.
Yes they do pull out, but as I found out they are in there snug. The replacement bulb I go this past summer doesn't fit as tight.

nycxtype (11-08-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Default LED city lights

Just an update even though its a "small" modification. I hate when I read someones problem and theres no final status given. I finally pulled out the lights and they did come out...not alot of room for big hands!!
They look great! I'm thinking when I twisted one attempting to remove it, it lost contact. On a side note as luck would have it, I got a screw in a tire and went to a tire shop to get it repaired. When they finished the job the car wouldnt start!! Long story short, battery cables loose! I'm guessing when I moved the battery around getting to the city light housing I loosened up the battery cables!!
Anyway, LEDs in the city lights look great and yes on a 2003 X Type the bulbs pull straight out!! Thanks to all....

Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Glad to hear all is working well

Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new here but Since you all replaced the city lights here with beautiful leds. What is the number or size for them I'm looking to go a white color. I want them to match hyper white hids which I plan to put in now because the headlight melted into.the socket.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

They are WLED-x # 194 wedge bulbs they can be found on eBay but quality ones can be found at superbrightleds.com. They are the same bulbs that fit the city/park lights, license plate lights, and interior lights.

Last edited by Spooky pantz; 11-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.