X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no error code stall

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All,
Well it just happened again. This time at low speed and had to coast into a left turn lane.
Had my code reader ready to go and turned it on. NO ERROR CODES. Car just lost power and engine and oil light came on. When I tried to start her up I noticed a message in the speedometer that said "CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE". Now, the first time the car failed, I was using the cruise control when it died. So I thought that maybe I accidentally hit it and turned it on. So I turned the ignition key into the on position and made sure the cruise control was off. Still wouldn't start after numerous attempts. A cop saw me and stopped traffic and pushed me over to the right shoulder. I turned the key and the car started right up. Pissed the cop off a bit but what could I say? Anyone have any ideas with this new clue of the CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE? I can't say I had that message the first time as I was too upset to worry about anything but getting home. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Default Possible permanent fix

Called corporate and they told me to bring it back to the dealer. Service manager drove it home that night and the following day, it stalled on him.
Again no error codes on their code reader. Was beginning to think I had a bad code reader.
They disconnected the crankcase sensor and the car stalled with no error codes and they got the "Cruise not available" in the dash warning area.
Replaced the crankcase sensor and that seems to have fixed the problem... so far. From reading up on the crankcase sensor it appears this is the correct fix. Some cars like the Altima do throw an error code for the crankcase sensor but not the Jag X-type.
Will keep you guys updated if it happens again and this is not the fix.
Thanks to all for your help.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Crank position sensor, perhaps?

That will cause a stall with no codes, but will light the engine light.

The computer sees that the ignition is turned on, but doesn't see a signal telling it that the engine is running and what cylinder it is on. That will shut down the fuel and spark instantly, but since it is 'normal' behavior, it won't throw a code.

Also, usually intermittent in the beginning, and almost impossible to diagnose until it fails completely....and definitely NOT exclusive to Jaguar!

AT least on the X-type, it is easy to get at. On my Town and Country, you need to pretty much take off everything north of the front of the block to get at it!

The following users liked this post:
luvmyjagx (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Default Part confirmation

Yes. you are correct... crank position sensor.
Thank you for that explanation. I feel even more confident that the car has now been properly fixed and is safe to take on the highway and that I didn't just throw 625.00 to the dealer as the dealer mechanic said the last time I brought it in... " I can just start throwing parts into it and hope we fix it".