X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO FM

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NO FM

So i cant listen to FM stations. says NO-FM on the radio screen. I was listening to TOM LEYKIS man![/align]

Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: NO FM

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: X2 Jag
So i cant listen to FM stations. says NO-FM on the radio screen. I was listening to TOM LEYKIS man![/align]
Hey there X2............not much help really,but, I had the same thing in my X (02)......Its my wifes daily driver but I get to clean it look after it and drive it once in a while too.....lol
I noticed some time ago that we also had " NO FM" showing on the screen and tried everythin but it just wouldn't work. It was like that for a week or so and then the next time I was cleaning it I had the radio on and it was fine[&:]
Weiirrrrddddddd.............One of those things that fixes themselves???
I dunno.....All I know is that is exactly what happened!
Here's the link to my original post.....not that it really helps mutch though[&:]
https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_24133/tm.htm
It must be sorta like the drivers door handle issue..........It works fine for days, weeks, even months and then Bam...........nightmare to open???
Whats that all about?????

Please let me know if you find a fix as no doubt it'll happen to me again at some point.

Jim

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NO FM

Crazy.....well lets see if my stereo fixes itself. If I figure out anything I will post.

The following users liked this post:
captusnr (10-17-2021)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 years later did you ever solve the problem? It has just started on my XJ8 for the last week. I have no idea how to fix it!!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

I would first start with pulling the radio out of the dash and seeing if the antenna is still firmly seated in the antenna jack. If it isn't, it can cause what you are seeing. Then you hit a bump, the antenna moves just a little bit and bam, the FM stations are back. After that, I would be looking at the radio. There are only a few components in something like this and if the antenna is firmly seated, doesn't leave much else. You can prove the antenna good by rigging up a temporary radio and using the installed antenna to receive stations. If that works, then you know the antenna in the car is good and that pretty much only leaves the radio.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Thanks. That analysis makes a lot of sense as I have lost a little AM reception some time ago but put it down to signal reductions. Will have a go at weekend. Thanks again.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Brittunculus, looking at the diagrams for your car (made an assumption you have a 2003 or newer XJ8), you have an FM booster in series with your radio and antenna. If you blow the fuse for the booster, that will also give you what you are seeing. What I would tell you to do is to check Fuse F11 in the passenger fuse box and see if that is blown. It could be something as simple as that.

If you have a different year XJ8, let me know and I will see if I have the diagrams for it and give you more year specific information.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Thank you Thermo. I have been trawling through an instruction CD to get at the base of the aerial! Your solution could be simpler! My model is in fact Oct 1997. (Have had it from nearly new and can't bear to part with it!!).

Old 09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

brittunculus, well, your year car (1997) does not have the FM booster, so, you have pretty much 2 options more than likely that can be your problem. You have either a bad radio or a bad antenna. The easy way to differentiate between the two would be to stop by an electronics store that carries automobile parts. Most of the carry cheap magnet mount antennas (10 euro or so). Then you can slide the radio out of the dash, unplug the antenna for your car and then plug in this magnet mount one. If the radio stations come back, antenna is bad. If they don't, then your radio is toast. I hate to spend money to spend more money, but in this case, if you can do a little bit of work yourself, it can save you a lot later on. if you can find one that a friend has, then you wouldn't have to buy an antenna that you will only use once.

brittunculus (09-29-2011)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 VDP aerial

My 1997 XJ Vanden Plas radio aerial goes down while the radio is playing? Very annoying, checked the fuses and all look good. Does anyone have anything else to suggest I could look at before going to the dealer?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Veteran member

It is sounding like you have a broken solder joint inside the radio. Your only hope is to find a local shop that can open up the radio and fix the problem inside. After that, odds are you will be looking at a new radio.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got the NO-FM a few days ago quickly followed by NO-AM. I took the car (2002 XKR) to my buddy's car stereo joint to check the connections. He verified that the connections were good. Then he hit the scan button and the radio scanned to an FM station. I hit one of the memory buttons, and the NO-FM came back. Hitting the scan button again brought up an FM station. I then held one of the memory buttons to store the station. I then scanned off that station and then pressed the memory button I had just stored, and the stored FM station played.

So, it seems that the memory presets have somehow been erased. Hitting any of the memory buttons produced the NO-FM or NO-AM, apparently because there was no associated FM or AM station stored with that preset. Scanning to an FM or AM station and pressing one of the memory buttons restored the preset.

I will have to see if there is a longer term problem underlying. But, simply scanning to an FM or AM station and holding the memory button to save the preset has solved the problem for the moment.

astromorg (06-22-2016)
Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM

Press the button A.Mem and the radio will toggle on and off

Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Default FM radio not working

Thank you so much for the valuable information. I’m so very grateful. Your easy fix made all the difference.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaRaider
Press the button A.Mem and the radio will toggle on and off
That was an amazingly helpful; tip. Thanks so much.