X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO FM displayed on info screen??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NO FM displayed on info screen??

Got in my 2005 X-Type today (42000 miles) and have no FM reception. AM, CD and CDC all work fine. When I switch to FM, dead. No static, no nothing. Displays NO FM on the screen and off to the right it shows A1, A2, A3, etc, depending on which channel select button I push. This is a 2005, no GPS, no tape. Has OEM CD in the head unit and OEM CDC in the trunk. Was working fine yesterday, but a few days ago there was something that happened that may have been an indicator. I was on talk radio on AM and pushed the button to switch to FM but it was silent. I thought I hit the CD button by mistake and it was between tracks so I cycled through the sources and when I got back to FM it was fine. Now I am wondering if in fact this was a preview of things to come?

Anybody ever had this happen? I guess some antenna connection may have come loose but who knows why. Not been in the trunk for any reason and no bumpy roads or such. Besides checking that any ideas? And how hard is it to get to that? I have never been behind the head unit before, or really under the dash for any reason.

Thanks guys.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:00 PM

Just thought of something. Should it be reading F1, F2, F3, etc, when in FM mode and A1, A2, A3, etc. when you are in AM mode and you are pushing the channel select buttons? I never really noticed anything coming up there when I changed stations, so I am not sure. Maybe it says A* all the time, but then I thought maybe it is A* for AM stations and F* for FM stations.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

same thing happened to me just press A MEM button see what happens

Old 02-21-2015, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Peter but I found another solution. I actually pushed every button on the head unit and nothing happened until I pressed the "up" scan button. Then it went to the first channel on the dial, like 88.5, and it worked. I had no trouble scanning but if I pushed any of my pre set buttons....silence. Somehow it erased all of my presets, and since you cannot direct tune (as far as I know) the only way to activate it was the scan button. I had to reset all of my FM buttons. But the AM buttons never lost their memory. I also noticed that the buttons on the AM side read P1, P2, etc. On the FM side they read A1, A2, etc. Not sure what the point of that is.

So I have owned this car over 8 years now and never had this happen before, and I am almost sure that it popped up momentarily a few days ago but corrected itself. So something is going on in there.

For what it is worth my CDC was hung up for about a month. Displayed ERROR on the screen and I could not eject the cartridle without the aid of a "pry tool" applied between the floor of the magazine and the housing. Then suddenly one day it decided to start working again.

British gremlins I guess.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed it by accident

I had this problem and vowed to one day trace all the wiring back to the aerial and sort it out. Never actually did it, but it's the thought that counts right? Anyway, some time later my battery died, so I got a new one and fitted it. The radio asked me for the code, as they do when you disconnect them from the battery. I entered it and the radio sprang into life!

*Simple fix, reboot your radio* Just make sure you've got the code handy first.