Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No front defrost

If I put it to anything except one of the defrost settings the air comes out

if I put it to the def/feet setting it only comes out on the floor

Any ideas how to fix this?

Its not very safe driving with a napkin and wiping the window while driving

Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if you got your issue fixed but I had the same kind of issue on mine and I had get get the heating system replaced. It was all done under warranty of course but I'd take yours into the shop to see what they think.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oh no!

Originally Posted by pnyklr
If I put it to anything except one of the defrost settings the air comes out

if I put it to the def/feet setting it only comes out on the floor

Any ideas how to fix this?

Its not very safe driving with a napkin and wiping the window while driving
Hi Panty killer.

Try these diagnostic steps before I pass final judgement and please supply the last 6 digits of your VIN number.

Start the car in a safe area where it can be running standing still for perhaps a half hour or so, not in the garage please. Put the climate control on full heat so that the display reads HI and turn the blower speed down to the lowest possible setting so that you can hear the motors and doors moving. Repeatedly switch between each air distribution mode giving the system 15 seconds or so each time you switch for the motors to do their thing. You will be switching between FLOOR, FACE/FLOOR, FACE, FLOOR/DEFROST, DEFROST. You should hear various clicks, grinds, grunts while this is happening. When you select defrost the system will over ride the low blower setting and automatically turn it to high. Don't allow this to happen. As soon as you select defrost turn the blower back down so you can hear the action of the doors. Do this switching thing at least 10 times and don't forget to allow the time for things to move. If you still have no defrost and you never heard a loud(compared to the other normal door motions you are now used to hearing) pop or bang try this. Put system on floor mode. Switch to defrost and at the same time bang on the side of the dash center stack with the best position to bang being right where the center stack is closest to the glovebox door upper gap. Do this 5 times or until you hear a POP/BANG and the defrost starts working. Report back with the results of this test please. Don't forget the last 6 digits of your VIN.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM

real tech I havent tried your idea yet, but when I press the recirc button I hear something open or close but when I move the controls to different settings they all work except for the defrost

when I put it on feet/defrost it only comes out of the feet

Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM

the last six of my vin are e47284

Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

The recirc door doesn't have anything to do with the problem you are describing with no air flow from the defrost, wherever it is set makes no difference. When you select defrost it should cancel recirc if you have selected it anyways. What you are trying to find out is if the flap that directs air to the defrost is sticking in the heater box. That's why i said to bang on the side of the box to see if it will free up. If you can get it free it can be repaired. If it cannot be freed it is probably to late to fix it and the entire heater box assembly will need replacement. Do the test and let me know. I can tell you how to fix it if it is still possible. Your vin number does fall in the range for this problem which was caused by a bad batch of heater boxes. No service bulletin for this one, experience only.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 PM

latest update now I have defrost and nothing coming out of the vents

Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the late post, but better late then never I guess. When I first got my car I had this same problem.. I would try to put it on the windshield and it will only come out on the feet. After switching the temp all the way down to "low" when it start's to blow out fast air on the face I would have to keep switching it straight to the windshield and after a few try's it would eventually work. But a friend of mine started to bang on top of the air bag area and on the air bag (not tapping either) like really putting force to the hits and it worked fine ever since. I don't know if banging on top of the air bag area will help but maybe it loosened up something, it's worth a try.. good luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM

I'm nervous to bang on the dash and break something I'll have the car next week

Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM

I have the car here tried the banging no luck

Old 08-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would help since it worked for me. Hopefully real tech will help you with it he said he can tell you how to fix it.. good luck.