X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No issues...next morning X-Type won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No issues...next morning X-Type won't start.

A couple months ago I parked my 2002 X-Type and it was fairly close to "E" on the fuel gauge. I had planned on filling it up on the way home from the gym the next morning...

Next morning I get in and it just cranks and cranks and cranks but will not start. I got my gas can and got a couple of gallons of fuel on the way home, but even after adding that the same thing happened.

I opened up the air filter box and sprayed some starting fluid in there and it seemed like it caught just long enough to burn up the starting fluid, then it died, so I figure it's just not getting fuel. Up until this I had no issues with sluggishness, problems starting, maintaining highway speeds, etc.

I just ordered a fuel filter since that seems like an easy DIY repair and I thought that maybe running the tank down too low caused enough sediment to creep in that I blocked it up...I've NEVER replaced the fuel filter and I have about 80K on the car. But again, no issues before the day when it simply wouldn't start.

Do you think it's even possible it's the filter? If not, any ideas what I might be able to check or try before having it towed to the shop? The car is practically valueless, so I'm not sure how much I want to spend to fix it, but could it be something simple?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 01-05-2020, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Doug, I have 2 things I want you to try. First things first, get a few more gallons of gas into the car (get it up near 3/8 tank or so. With the gas level up try these 2 things:

-Get into the car, turn the key to the RUN position (NOT TO START!!!!!!!), wait a few seconds (may hear the fuel pump initially run and then turn off). After the few seconds, now roll the key to the START position and see if the car will start. If it does start, then odds are you have a fuel pump that is dying and this will atleast keep the car running a bit long till you can install new fuel pump.
-If during the above test, you don't hear the fuel pump or are unsure, keep the key in the RUN position and walk over to the rear passenger tire (for you) and lay down on the ground. You should see the fuel tank there. If you look closely, there will be a ridge in the tank that makes a half moon. This is where the fuel is picked up. Make a fist and give the center of the half moon a good wack or two. You may hear the fuel pump run for a second or so. If you hear the fuel pump run, then odds are the car will start. As for future starts, you may need to give it a whack, you may not. Seems to be hit and miss as to what the fuel pump needs. Either way, the fuel pump is on its way out.

If neither of these work, then we can take things from there.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

So much for advances in technology.
4 decades ago used to drive the MGB with the battery cover off and a long handled screw driver to hand to vigorously beat the fuel pump with when it started coughing.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Default Okay - Will Try and then Reply

I'll buy some more gas and do what you said.

As far as listening for the fuel pump, I'm not really sure what to listen for, but I assume that if it is in/near the fuel tank if I lie down near the right rear while my wife turns the key to the on position (without starting), it'll be easier for me to hear something...plus, I'll already be in punching position!

Thanks for the initial advice...will reply after I do it

-Doug

Old 01-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

So, you are going to lie under the back of the car.
Whilst your wife, 'doesn't' start the car.
Brave man than me Gunga Din.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:55 AM
Default No Luck So Far

Hi,

Got the gas gauge up to about 1/2 tank. Also checked the fuse inside that is supposed to be for the fuel pump (2nd row from bottom, 3rd in from left , a yellow 20A).

I hear various electronic sounding noises when I turn the key but they don't really sound like they're coming from back where the fuel pump is, so I don't think I heard the fuel pump run. Left the key in the on position and found what I think is the "half moon" you referred to on bottom of gas tank. Whacked it fairly good with a mallet several times, but I didn't hear anything. Got in and it cranked like before but wouldn't start.

I didn't have my wife come down and turn to the on position while I got real close to hear, so will still try that, but as far as I can tell it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is activating.

Would that be normal that there was never an issue at all then one day I just park it and the fuel pump completely dies...no warning whatsoever?

Thanks in advance for any future advice -- if there's nothing else to do I can have it towed to the shop to diagnose but I'm not sure it's worth replacing the pump if it's as expensive as I read it to be! I could get a salvage pump but it seems like most of the expense is in the labor anyway.

-Doug

Old 01-06-2020, 12:26 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 01-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Not sure what other "electronic" noises you are referring to when you turn the key, but not crank it. The fuel pump is just a low hum kind of sound that is easy to hear. It will run a few seconds.

I know this is kind of a long shot, but in all the cranking you have done the last few days, could the battery have run down? I know you said when you turn the key you said the engine still cranks, so when it does that it shoudl be enough to start the engine. But, still maybe something to at least check. Could be the fuel pump and just maybe bad timing and coincidence with the low fuel in the tank. But, before you start going that route, making sure the battery is good is much simpler to try.

Old 01-06-2020, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts

Fuel pump driver module?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...module-180836/

Fuel pump driver fuse?

Old 01-07-2020, 02:17 PM

Hi -- I'll try swapping those relays (looks like engine compartment swap R11 (Throttle Motor Relay for 3.0L) and R8 (same size one) next....

But so far, just hooked up battery cables from other cable to make sure I had a good, powerful charge and then did the following: checked fuel shut-off button in passenger seat footwell. It did not seem to need clicked/pressed. Then I had wife turn key to on position while I listened from right rear of vehicle. I still heard various humming, clicks, etc. that sounded like they're coming more from the front of the vehicle but nothing terribly obvious from right where the fuel pump is supposed to be...not to say it definitely did not make a sound, but if everyone here says it'd be totally clear, then I have to say I don't think I heard it!

Then, had her crank the starter while I whacked the half moon with a rubber mallet 5 or 6 times, but nothing.

At this point, I guess it's looking like getting it towed in for diagnostics and if it needs the fuel pump I'll probably just donate the vehicle and wish it farewell...

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 01-07-2020, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

If it's the fuel pump, just replace it yourself. Not very difficult. My thread "my kitty died today" outlines the procedure, measurements, etc. with pics. The only thing I would do different is to use the NOW FOUND FORD driver pump only that is in blownkitty's thread. Cheap and works.

The following users liked this post:
BlownKitty (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 07:20 PM

I liked Thermo's reply about punching the fuel tank. I miss old tube televisions where they could often be fixed with a whack.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:47 AM

Yeah...was really hoping whacking the tank with a mallet would start it just because it'd be funny.

Is there a way to tell for sure that the fuel pump isn't working if I disconnect the hoses at the fuel filter since I was going to change the filter anyway? If the car is off and I disconnect the fuel filter, I know some residual fuel will spill out. Once that's done spilling out though, if someone were to turn the key to the on position, if the pump runs for a few seconds like people are saying it should, would that result in squirting some fuel out of the hose and into the bucket I'll have it feeding into? If so, at least if that doesn't happen then I know for sure the pump isn't working at all.

If that does cause fuel to pump out into the bucket, then at least I know that it's probably something else and I'll send it to the shop. I guess I really want to try to confirm whether or not it's the pump before I take it to the shop to have them tell me... I have no relationship with a garage here yet so I'm just going to have to go by their word on what they tell me, so the more info I have ahead of time, the better.

-Doug

Old 01-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member