Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noisy instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy instrument cluster

(2.5 AWD estate auto, 46k miles)

my instrument cluster clicks. but it also does a wierd thing, it makes a noise like air in a pipe, kind of gurgling noise - others have described it too, but thought it was a timing chain tensioner

in my case, it's the instrument cluster, since you can get the noise with the engine off and flicking the ignition on and off

I am pretty convinced it goes away when the alternator gets up to speed and the system voltage settles down

alternative explanation is that it IS air in a pipe, but that would mean that there's an electric pump driving a water circuit before the engine fires up - I would have thought all water circuits only come alive once the engine is up, and are mechanical pumps

so back to the voltage stabiliser theory...

anybody got an old noisy instrument cluster I can look at in detail?

it might have something to do with miniature motors/drives/ratchets that drive the needles on the instruments of course - which probably aren't in any way repairable

might be worth a look - I fixed an Audi TT cluster once, and they are notorious

rossyroo

Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,905 Likes on 3,209 Posts

Rossy, just to ask the silly questions:

1) what year vehicle are we talking about here? There were slight changes between the early 2002 (and older) vehicles and the 2002.25 and newer cars. There's even some updates that happened in 2005.

2) Does the noise happen without starting the motor with the dash blower turned off. It might be possible you have some water down in the vent duct some where and with simply turning on the car (no motor), that would cause air to pass over the water, possibly giving you your bubbling sound. The water can get into the vent duct by getting around the filter in the cowl. Something to think about. If it isn't that, then I would be looking at the drain tube in the condensor part of the dash vent duct. This area pulls water out of the air being blown on to the windshield and if the drain tube is clogged, it can cause water to gather in the dash. I have used a little bit of compressed air to clear this drain line in other cars. Not sure how one would go after the drain line in our cars. I know it was a topic awhile back. So, might want to look.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM

1) what year vehicle are we talking about here? There were slight changes between the early 2002 (and older) vehicles and the 2002.25 and newer cars. There's even some updates that happened in 2005.

It's March 04

2) Does the noise happen without starting the motor with the dash blower turned off. It might be possible you have some water down in the vent duct some where and with simply turning on the car (no motor), that would cause air to pass over the water, possibly giving you your bubbling sound. The water can get into the vent duct by getting around the filter in the cowl. Something to think about. If it isn't that, then I would be looking at the drain tube in the condensor part of the dash vent duct. This area pulls water out of the air being blown on to the windshield and if the drain tube is clogged, it can cause water to gather in the dash. I have used a little bit of compressed air to clear this drain line in other cars. Not sure how one would go after the drain line in our cars. I know it was a topic awhile back. So, might want to look.

Blower off, switch the ignition on (without engaging starter motor, so just to position 1) and you'll get a gurgly noise for a few seconds and the dials hiss a bit at the same time.

Start the car and give it a rev, you'll hear the same noise when the revs fall below 1000 .... so you hear the noise for a few seconds at every stop sign. When the engine settles at 800RPM it goes away

which sorta leads me to think it is a low voltage phenomenon: (1) when you turn the ignition switch without starting, then goes away when the alternator kicks in, then (2) comes back when the engine slows and the alternator stops generating

I read earlier by googling on instrument cluster noise that all sorts of cars have instrument noise caused by the stepper motors in the dials . and that it can't be fixed

but I'm not ruling out thermos suggestion about trapped water either

Old 03-08-2009, 02:03 PM

about that bubbling noise. yes. i had that.. it is ur instrument cluster. they have to replace the entire thing.

i was under warranty....