Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noob questions

Dear All!

After a long search, I finally bought my X-type last week. And I am loving it. It is a 2003 model, with automatic gear shift and 3.0 petrol engine. Only had one, loving, caring owner for 16 years, who used it on motorways mainly and lives in a small town. Intact chassis, very strong engine, perfect gear shift etc. However, it is not spotless, which is no surprise based on the 360000 km (220.000 miles) it covered. I would need some help/suggestions/opinions on the following topics.

1) Transmission Fluid change - I know it is sealed for life, and right now it is very smooth and quiet. But it has never went through an ATF change... should I? Should I not?

2) P0420 - after driving appr. 125 km, the CEL came up with a P0420 error code. Any time I deleted it, it did not come back for another 100-200km, but I cannot exactly say when/how it comes back. My mechanic measured all values and said that the 2nd rear oxygen sensor was "slow" compared to the front ones, which were a bit "faster" then they should be. This may result in a inexplicable difference between the values which would lit up the CEL - under specific circumstances. He checked it for hours tried different RPMs and speeds, but could not lit the CEL up again. He also said that in order to replace the rear sensors the entire engine must be lifted and that we should change all 4 sensors together. What are your thought on this?

3) squeaking noise - this was also not apparent when I bought the car. But then I started to hear this squeaking sound from the right rear side. It is only there at low speeds, especially on bumpy roads. We replaced both rear shock absorbers (they were in pretty bad condition) but the noise is still there, maybe even lauder a bit. My mechanic swears that it does not come from the wheels or suspensions, he listened to it on the road and heard it coming from the rear right door which he dissembled and tightened all screws without any result. He also greased all parts of the suspension with WD40. I read a few threads here and found some videos which all indicate a problem with the hub bearing, but he cheked that too and they were OK. What on the earth can that be?

Any idea would be greatly appretiated.

Ps.: I completely trust my mechanic, he is very smart and has very high standards for himself, who often restaurates cars for OT-exam, but he is a Porsche expert not a JAG-guru.

Last edited by rlazol; 07-19-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

1. Yes, quicker the better, read this thread and embedded links. PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION to the DEFINITIVE ANSWER on the level check plug. Where removing the wrong one (even by transmission shops) screws up your transmission. =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-pics-183620/

2. With that age, not that surprising. Do a SEARCH here on parts and procedures. CAUTION: use only OEM parts as there are numerous posts on cheaper (usually internet buys) saying OEM but not real and do not work causing a lot of frustration. They can all be changed without any major disassembly.

3. My squeak in the rear were the rear front lower control arms. Did the WD 40 and fluid film treatment to no avail on rear and front squeak (front was the front control arms, they were a bitch, see my thread). Not very expensive and easy to replace. JUST HEED they must not be torqued until car sitting on the ground. Just snug them up and lower to the ground to torque.

If the rear tires are or begin to look pigeon toed = / \ or are wearing on the insides SEARCH the member "thermo" type upper adjustable control arm Volvo retrofit. The parts are available in Europe and the U.S.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 07-19-2019 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rlazol (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 03:21 PM

Dell Gailey - I am very grateful for all your help! I will forward everything to my mechanic and make sure that it will be processed the right way.
Thank you so much.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

2 possibilities for the squeak may be the bushings on the swaybar - silicone grease works well, and look where the e-brake cable passes through the main suspension arm - hose the insulator sleeve with WD-40.

The following users liked this post:
rlazol (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Thank you, we will check that too!