X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY Times author calls X-Type the dud of the decade

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ans1215
ok guys, i have an 03 x-type among other cars as i own a high end used car dealership. i drive all the cars on my lot for at least 2 weeks before i sell them to learn of any bugs or issues needing to be fixed as well as to get a feel for the car so i can better direct my customers into a car that suits their needs. as far as the x is concerned i notice a lot of you have bought them used and buying them used is not a bad idea, but you werent there for all the issues the previous owner of your car had to deal with from the beginning.

one of the most common issues i can think of that is a small repair but can lead to serious injury to passengers is the vacuum hose from the brake booster. yeah technically thats a little thing, but seriously $130 for 1 foot of plastic hose with a check valve? not to mention when that check valve develops the hole at the bottom as they all do, your vehicles brakes get very stiff causing you to literally have to "stand" on the brakes to get it to stop without getting into an accident. dont forget the never ending transmission problems caused by numerous design flaws in the body and a lack of effort to protect the vehicles expensive electronics from the weather. lets also add in the factor of repair costs, a $30k car with repair costs similar to that of $80,000 models offered by jags competitors? no wonder they have poor resale value.

yes, the styling is on point and look as good or better than a lot of todays new cars...from the outside. it may not be a rebadged ford, but there are numerous signs of the crappy ford engineering and build quality. ive have probably 20 of these on my lot and they all have a jittery suspension feel, they all have a lot of wind and road noise regardless of tire selection, a ton of engine and transmission noise. the leather is slippery and the front seats dont hold that well, the buttons, instrument cluster, radio, and climate control make me feel like im in a focus wrapped in nice mercedes leather, they have the typical ford and jag oil burning problem. as for the suspension, on a smooth road it feels great, once you get dips and bumps and potholes it rides horrible, yes the awd helps, but id still rather prefer the stiffer sportier 3 series suspension that is always predictable and offers much less body roll than one that isnt predictable and throws you around your seat.

most people who i know that have owned them are happy about the fact that it doesnt have the other jag issues but are just upset that it has its own slew of issues, not that other cars dont, but come on, jag couldve and has done much better. for example the really expensive hid headlamp assemblies that have the problems with the adjustment tab mounting point breaking? id be happier to spend $400 on a bad ballast on a bmw or mercedes than over 800 on a whole headlamp assembly. yes there are crappier cars but come on are you really going to go as low as comparing a jag to a pontiac aztec to prove a point?

i like the jag styling dont get me wrong, i like the straight 6's i like the way most handle, but i have not had one person buy a jag from me for any other reason than they simply want to own a jag, not one person come in and says i heard theyre reliable, i heard theyre easy to mantain, my friends said blah blah blah. 95% percent of the time all i hear is its a jag i want it and 2 months later they come back wanting to trade them in.

the x-type was simply built in order to compete in the small luxury car class in hopes that jag could pick up more business to save themselves during a hard time, it didnt do as well as expected. regardless of the lack of or wrong marketing, it was a dud compared to the rest of its competitors. they are an excellent car for the pricve you pay in todays market as they have a very low resale value, if youve never owned a luxury car you will love it. it does feel like it has a ton of power if you get the 3.0 but the 2.5 is much slower than my very lightly modded 97 dodge neon i used for scca autocrossing.
Your opinion carries a lot of weight since your butt ends up in a lot of seats. But with that, we need to know more about the kinds of cars you buy. Are they one owner cars? Bought at auction? First time trade ins?

The point being, most dealers pickup/trade the well maintained 1 owner cars and leave the rest to corner car lots. If you're not a new car dealer, or a huge used car center with lots of buying power and room/money for inventory, you're probably buying cars knowing you only have to get them past the 30 day/1000 mile warranty and you're home free. Nothing wrong with that, you're filling a void, providing a service.

Members should listen to what you say but they need the whole picture to truly feel informed. Only, I've never heard of an oil consumption issue with the X. People warned me about Jags leaking the moment I bought it but I haven't had any issues with oil at all. Again, I bought a 1-owner, 1yr old from a corner lot which I'm guessing had too many miles on it for a dealer to be interested. I considered the unusually higher miles to be a plus because it lowered the price and had to be highway miles unless it was used to deliver mail. Since I have multiple cars I don't put the average mileage on any. I'm now sitting on a 5yr old car with 55k on it which is under the norm and basically all I did was oil changes, tires and just installed a new battery and brakes/rotors.

Last edited by C5pilot; 03-08-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

oil leaking? or oil burning, never had that any any ford we've owned. And id say the interior in my car, 02, has held up perfectly

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dud of the Decade! there are worse cars than the X-type out there. Can the best selling Jaguar actually be a dud ?

i bought a 2002 2.1 FWD X-type and i did feel the interior was a little low rent in the centre console area but other than that it was an elegant and classy looking car. everyone thought i had paid much more for it.

of course buying one from new might have been a more dissapointing experience, but hardly a dud.

i now drive an S-type which feels more luxurious but i still feel the X-type was much maligned.

like any car - look after it and it will look after you.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I havnt heard anthing bad about the fwd cars.....
maybe jag should have went rwd here in north america....

Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5pilot
Your opinion carries a lot of weight since your butt ends up in a lot of seats. But with that, we need to know more about the kinds of cars you buy. Are they one owner cars? Bought at auction? First time trade ins?

The point being, most dealers pickup/trade the well maintained 1 owner cars and leave the rest to corner car lots. If you're not a new car dealer, or a huge used car center with lots of buying power and room/money for inventory, you're probably buying cars knowing you only have to get them past the 30 day/1000 mile warranty and you're home free. Nothing wrong with that, you're filling a void, providing a service.

Members should listen to what you say but they need the whole picture to truly feel informed. Only, I've never heard of an oil consumption issue with the X. People warned me about Jags leaking the moment I bought it but I haven't had any issues with oil at all. Again, I bought a 1-owner, 1yr old from a corner lot which I'm guessing had too many miles on it for a dealer to be interested. I considered the unusually higher miles to be a plus because it lowered the price and had to be highway miles unless it was used to deliver mail. Since I have multiple cars I don't put the average mileage on any. I'm now sitting on a 5yr old car with 55k on it which is under the norm and basically all I did was oil changes, tires and just installed a new battery and brakes/rotors.
Majority of the cars I buy are from manheim auctions. They need very little work, well maintained, I hardly ever buy ones that have been wrecked and not repaired to factory fit and finish. A lot of these cars were dealer lease cars or early tradeins, all of them come from dealers. Every car I sell is thoroughly inspected and driven as I offer 6 month/7500mi warranties, and we keep a consistent flow of inventory and maintain an average of about 30 cars at any given time. I sell lower than most of my competitors in order to maintain a quick turn around and increase buying power and to keep my.mechanics and body men busy since all work to a vehicle is done in house. I myself am also ASE and I-CAR certified

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ans1215
Majority of the cars I buy are from manheim auctions. They need very little work, well maintained, I hardly ever buy ones that have been wrecked and not repaired to factory fit and finish. A lot of these cars were dealer lease cars or early tradeins, all of them come from dealers. Every car I sell is thoroughly inspected and driven as I offer 6 month/7500mi warranties, and we keep a consistent flow of inventory and maintain an average of about 30 cars at any given time. I sell lower than most of my competitors in order to maintain a quick turn around and increase buying power and to keep my.mechanics and body men busy since all work to a vehicle is done in house. I myself am also ASE and I-CAR certified
It sounds like you have a nice operation. The part that stands out above is that most of your cars come from dealers. That means you are effectively buying "seconds". The dealers KEEP the pristine cars for themselves. That's not to say you don't get some really nice ones at times, it's inevitable. And it also doesn't diminish the fact you obviously must know the car business to be successful. But to be fair, you're usually planting your butt into seats of cars that dealers chose NOT to keep on their own lots. But that stands true for all of your offerings so it does even out somewhat. I'll try to remember to look you up if I ever decide to pull the trigger on a used XKR.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like you have a nice operation. The part that stands out above is that most of your cars come from dealers. That means you are effectively buying "seconds". The dealers KEEP the pristine cars for themselves. That's not to say you don't get some really nice ones at times, it's inevitable. And it also doesn't diminish the fact you obviously must know the car business to be successful. But to be fair, you're usually planting your butt into seats of cars that dealers chose NOT to keep on their own lots. But that stands true for all of your offerings so it does even out somewhat. I'll try to remember to look you up if I ever decide to pull the trigger on a used XKR.
While it does make sense, this isn't always true. Some dealers will get rid of vehicles that while are pristine, they wouldn't be able to sell it themselves because it's not really their specialty or the typical buyer that comes in their lots aren't actively seeking that sort of model.

Take my local Buick dealer. I was checking out their lot for the new LaCrosse and Regal last week when I came across an absolutely immaculate, fully loaded 2005 XJR they took from trade-in. 60k miles, $19k. A pretty good deal as it is, however they were willing to move even more on the price AND give me an even better price on what would have been my 2008 Camry Hybrid trade in (full market value). A great car right? By all means they should want it because it is such a great vehicle in such great condition. But they wanted to get rid of it so desperately because they couldn't sell it. They don't sell Jags, they know nothing about Jags, their typical customer that strolls through the new and used lots aren't looking for Jags.

I am close with several other "high end" used car dealers as well and they get many of their cars from dealers for those reasons as well.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AML
While it does make sense, this isn't always true. Some dealers will get rid of vehicles that while are pristine, they wouldn't be able to sell it themselves because it's not really their specialty or the typical buyer that comes in their lots aren't actively seeking that sort of model.

Take my local Buick dealer. I was checking out their lot for the new LaCrosse and Regal last week when I came across an absolutely immaculate, fully loaded 2005 XJR they took from trade-in. 60k miles, $19k. A pretty good deal as it is, however they were willing to move even more on the price AND give me an even better price on what would have been my 2008 Camry Hybrid trade in (full market value). A great car right? By all means they should want it because it is such a great vehicle in such great condition. But they wanted to get rid of it so desperately because they couldn't sell it. They don't sell Jags, they know nothing about Jags, their typical customer that strolls through the new and used lots aren't looking for Jags.

I am close with several other "high end" used car dealers as well and they get many of their cars from dealers for those reasons as well.
At least in my area Jag dealers seldom sell x types after 2006. The used ones they sell are generally below 40K miles and offer the Jag extended warranty.

I've noticed the price drops dramatically after 60K miles - for almost any brand or if they are older than 5-6 years. The Mercedes dealer where I bought my c is right across from the jag dealer. I noticed the price difference between a low mileage x type and c 280 4 matic for a 2007 was pretty close - less than 3K difference.

All my friends who buy use luxury cars usually go to a dealer only because of the certified warranty and low mileage on the cars.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by AML
Take my local Buick dealer. I was checking out their lot for the new LaCrosse and Regal last week when I came across an absolutely immaculate, fully loaded 2005 XJR they took from trade-in. 60k miles, $19k.
But this is where our opinions differ. I don't care what kind of car it is, the term immaculate can't be used to describe a car with 60k miles on it. The car may look great but 60k and 6 years is simply a used car, there is nothing immaculate about it except maybe body work. It can be in great shape "considering" its age and use, but that's it.

The reason the dealer can't sell the Jag in this environment is because it has 60k miles and is 6+ years old. The bit about not knowing anything about Jags is an excuse. I continually meet dealers who don't know their own products! That's where you have a slight edge in the game because you're willing to do your homework and personally experience each car on your lot. Kudos for being proactive.

I bought my 05 X from someone who ran a lot much like yours. He only dealt with nicer cars that dealers didn't want for one reason or another. In my case, the X was barely a 1yr old car with over 2 years worth of miles. A dealer did not want to bother with it. I drove about 100 miles to see it, put it up on a lift, and traded in my loaded Jeep GC for it on the spot. The lot owner drove my Jeep for a couple weeks and then called me to say the driver window stopped working. Don't know what happened, it was "immaculate" when I dropped it off. Go figure.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the reason Jaguars of any ilk have no resale has almost nothing to do with the modern Jags. The 1960s vintage Jags with the negative ground and the lucas wiring are almost entirely to blame. Todays cars have no more repairs than any other similar mileage import, but because they are a jaguar they get the hit.

The Germans had it right, they didn't have screwie wiring or half the gremlins the Engliush did, but then the English had a ton of car built under a welfare reclamation project. Some Jaguars, TR7s & Rovers were built to create employment in small towns in England.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

But this is where our opinions differ. I don't care what kind of car it is, the term immaculate can't be used to describe a car with 60k miles on it. The car may look great but 60k and 6 years is simply a used car, there is nothing immaculate about it except maybe body work. It can be in great shape "considering" its age and use, but that's it.

The reason the dealer can't sell the Jag in this environment is because it has 60k miles and is 6+ years old. The bit about not knowing anything about Jags is an excuse. I continually meet dealers who don't know their own products! That's where you have a slight edge in the game because you're willing to do your homework and personally experience each car on your lot. Kudos for being proactive.

I bought my 05 X from someone who ran a lot much like yours. He only dealt with nicer cars that dealers didn't want for one reason or another. In my case, the X was barely a 1yr old car with over 2 years worth of miles. A dealer did not want to bother with it. I drove about 100 miles to see it, put it up on a lift, and traded in my loaded Jeep GC for it on the spot. The lot owner drove my Jeep for a couple weeks and then called me to say the driver window stopped working. Don't know what happened, it was "immaculate" when I dropped it off. Go figure.
I am not disputing your experiences and assessment at all. Just saying that just because the vehicle was passed on by the 'original' dealer doesn't mean that it's bad and a horror story waiting to happen.

We're splitting hairs on terminology here, but you know very well what I mean when I say immaculate. If you were really to get into the details and take the literal definition of the word, nothing really could be considered immaculate.

As much as I agree with you in that the dealers will obviously keep the betters cars on their own lot, that's not the entire picture though. The dealer has to keep their lot filled with cars that also match the needs and wants of the market in the area and of the demographics of the people that typically visit their dealership.

In some cases, it doesn't mater how good a car is (for its age), if it's not right for the market, it's not going to sell. This is where high end used car dealers like ans1215 come in with their specialized market and clientele.

The XJR I test drove really was as in good condition as it could get. I did have it put on the lift and had the tech (who I'm friends with) check it over with me. I'm confident if I had taken it to an independent shop to do a PPI on it it would have passed with flying colors (full dealer service records and details were included with the car). And beyond that, a 2005 XJ with 60k miles is actually very good in this area. Most other XJs (that even exist) in this area are well over 100k miles. Great car, but it has been sitting at that dealer since the beginning of winter. The average customer of this Buick dealership may be looking for a nice big luxury car, but they don't care for the 20" wheels, sport suspension, and the (although very nice to me) deep and loud engine/exhaust noise. So if a high end used car picks up on this deal, is that going to make this XJR second rate and a dud?

I'm only agreeing with you, but also offering another perspective on the used car dealer situation. The number of bad used car dealers typically outnumber the good ones, but don't automatically discount the cars on the good lots as bad cars. This is just based on my experience in the West Michigan new & used car market as well as having worked a dealer myself here.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by AML
I am not disputing your experiences and assessment at all.
First I have to apologize for getting you and ans1215 mixed up. When you responded to one of my posts to him I didn't notice it it wasn't him. Regardless, I think we're on the same page and I agree there are lots of good deals to be had on the private lots. But wherever you go, you have to do your own homework.

And that's why I agree with ans1215 when he says he sees lots of people getting into an X who have no idea what they're getting into. Low resale does not mean low maintenance. It means a huge savings on depreciation since someone else took the hit. Your first job is to check if the car was maintained and then decide if you can afford to keep it maintained yourself. Just look at all the Beemers that get dumped right before their major checkup is due. Nobody wants to pay the piper. So they're auctioned off and end up in the hands of people who have no idea what lies ahead. Not the cars fault.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In response to aml and c5 I agree with you both about the reasons dealers pass up cars but remember at the auction it doesnt matter how many the car comes down the lane at the end I review the vehicle and I make the decision to buy and more times than not I go with the cars with the least amount of damage. For example I picked up 2007 328i fully loaded with 28k mi missing a fender liner and slight damage on the rear bumper for $17k from ford motor companies lane, the same cars with more miles from the bmw financial lane were going for 23k-26k. I called the dealer who had it last and it was traded for a Mustang and they couldn't sell the bimmer for 2 months at $24k so they were willing to take the loss, proving aml's point. It works both ways and like the both of you said it all evens out.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It all depends on how you look at it. As a performance car to go head to head with a BMW 3 or MB C class, it never stood a chance.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spielnicht
It all depends on how you look at it. As a performance car to go head to head with a BMW 3 or MB C class, it never stood a chance.
Don't know about the 3 series. But I owned a C 280 4 Matic - 2007. Until last year. The x type had better pick up and more power. The C had better brakes and a smoother revving engine. However, I prefer the interior of the x, plus little things like the paint being a better quality, the audio system is better on the x and the growl of the engine. Road noise is about the same. However, I put dynamite in both cars. Gas mileage on the C was a little better.