X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor…

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

P0057 is for the downstream sensor (heater) on the front cat.

P1646
refers to the upstream O2 sensor on bank 1 (rear by firewall).

P1647
Bank 2 sensor 1 fault. That would be the sensor directly under the air filter box.

C1165-Wheel speed sensor circuit right rear electrical failure.

DTC list attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XTYPE.pdf (214.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 06-14-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speed sensor, Right Rear Wheel

Thank you for that information Dell, but anything on bank ONE (firewall) concerns me, because it usually means the removal of the intake manifold, and that’s a mighty big job for me, but the “electrical fault” associated with the right side rear speed sensor, is the one I intend to do today, as I’ve fitted a brand new sensor three days ago.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hhhmmmm.... unless the 2.1 is DRASTICALLY different than the 2.5 or 3.0, you needn't remove the intake to remove/replace it.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,991 Likes on 792 Posts

Hi Dell and Docko,

Re. The firewall side O2 sensors, the downstream O2 sensor I found is best accessed by removing the intake manifold (the job both Docko and I have just completed), but the upstream rear O2 sensor I believe is quite accessible normally.
Front side upper and lower ones should be quite accessible as well.
I will double check my 2.1 tonight when I get home to confirm access to both the front upper and lower sensors and also rear upper sensor. (don't have the X with me at work today).

Note: The 2.1 is a bit different as it has a throttle cable assembly and slightly different vacuum piping as compared to the 2.5 and 3.0 versions. So they are a little more cluttered in the top area between intake and brake booster.

Docko; was the lower rear Cat sensor you just replaced actually faulty, or should you have changed the front lower Cat sensor instead (it is the same sensor for both front and back lower applications)?
A different type of O2 sensor is used in the upper (pre) Cat positions front and back.
If you have a multi-meter, check the sensor you just took out and see if you have a low resistance (a couple of ohms) between any of the two pins on that sensor (think it is the two black wires). If so the heater circuit of that previously removed sensor is probably still intact.
Compare that to the resistance of the front lower Cat sensor plug, as Dell pointed out the heater circuit of the lower front CAT sensor is reporting a fault (P0057). My sensor's heater element was definitely open circuit when I tested it with a multi-meter, hence needing changed.

BTW: I am having a bit of a chuckle .......are you keeping your cars mileage a secret?

Old 06-14-2022, 10:04 PM
Default Speed Sensor + Speedometer Reading

Hi h2o2steam,
I honestly forgot about you asking for the speedo reading. At 78, very nearly 79, I tend to forget things, but I will go outside and get that reading once I’ve showered, as I’m going to the Australian heavyweight boxing tournament tonight. … I’ll be back shortly 🤓👍🤓

Old 06-15-2022, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

Took some pictures of my 2.1 O2 sensors.

The front upper sensor is midline between the radiator fans under the air filter box.

Front pre Cat O2 sensor

Front lower O2 sensor is the easiest to get at with good access from underneath.

Front lower O2 sensor - as viewed from below

Rear upper O2 sensor is tucked in deep under vacuum hoses, I haven't had to try to get socket on this one before.

Rear upper (Pre Cat) O2 sensor - as viewed from beside throttle body

Old 06-16-2022, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

Just a further thought seeing you have multiple O2 sensors reporting issues........check your two 30 Amp fuses that supply the O2 sensors as both still intact, Fuses F38 and F42 in the power distribution box under the bonnet.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:31 AM
Default Speedometer reading etc etc and again etc

Hi there ho2osteam
Maybe I’ve even got your name wrong,,, if I have, please just put it down to old age. The important thing is; did you get my message re my speedo reading ? If not, it was around 251,000 Kms, and I’ve never checked or changed the gearbox oil, so, contrary to what Jaguar say,,, you’re suggesting that I do that first thing ?? So my friend, I’ve booked it in with the service centre to do it, because I don’t have a hoist, or indeed, the facilities to do any job that requires me to get under my car. They (the service centre) cannot do it for around two weeks, so I’ll have to wait until then, but in the meantime, I’m somewhat concerned about the SBS light that’s permanently on, in my dashboard. Now another very helpful member of this site has suggested that I need to check the sbs computer module, but I’m wondering where that is ?
Docko

Old 06-16-2022, 10:43 AM
Default ABS Light

To everyone who is trying to help me solve my gearbox fault problem,,, PLEASE NOTE,,, when I said that my SBS Light was permanently on, in my dashboard,,, I SHOULD HAVE SAID, My ABS LIGHT,,, I’m really sorry for this cockup,,, but please just put it down to old age, and very late for me to be up… 🤓👍🤓

Old 06-16-2022, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Docko,

Your code reader showed a C1165, which as Dell quite rightly advised previously is pointing you towards a right rear speed sensor electrical issue.
Possibly a speed sensor open circuit, or a cabling fault through to that sensor that is open circuit or shorted somewhere along the way.

The ABS error hopefully is just because that sensor is not providing information for the car to determine what that wheel is doing with respect to the other wheels. Therefore the car will disable the ABS functionality because it doesn't have a full reference set of inputs and gives you a warning light so you are aware that safety system is inoperable currently.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

@Docko The challenge in changing your gearbox (transmission) fluid is the X owners developed way of doing this contrary to the prevailing mechanics and manufacturers saying it's "lifetime" fluid. I'm attaching the link (including a link to the DEFINITIVE answer on what plug not to remove =releases your reverse band inside the transmission). I would hazard based on other members experiences mechanics won't/don't do it this way.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-pics-183620/

There's another thread from a few years ago of someone "down under" who struggled finding the correct specification fluid required and bunged up his transmission. I found a correctly specified fluid for him and can maybe find it if you need it. The correct fluid MUST MEET IDEMITSU K17 specs.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:07 AM
Default ABS Light on the dashboard permanently ON

Hi h2o2steam,,,
Ive pulled ALL the fuses out and checked them, and they all checked out OK, so I’m back to the ABS unit itself, but like everything on this car, I might as well look into a field… What should I exchange, replace or buy for this piece of equipment ?? Also, these speed rings on the driveshaft, as my car is a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY, then they should only be on the front ?? (That’s a question only o2steam, as I wouldn’t have a clue)

Old 06-20-2022, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

What difference does AWD or front wheel drive have to do with a speed sensor code or a possible bad reluctor ring?

The reluctor ring is the part that the ABS wheel speed sensor uses to generate the signal back to the ABS control module.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:00 AM
Default Reluctor Ring / ABS & Front Wheel Drive

Hi Dell,
I was of the understanding that the R/ring was mounted on the DRIVE SHAFT going out to the driven wheels, ??& therefore, on a front wheel drive vehicle, as in my Xtype, they would only be fitted to the front, but obviously not. So Dell, with this in mind, will I be able to sight them when I remove the rear wheels ? I intend to replace the hand brake linkages tomorrow, (which are currently seized) and hopefully renew the rings at the same time, ??
Docko

Old 06-20-2022, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member

Reluctor rings are present for all four wheels as that is the only way each wheel can monitored for its independent rotational status.

It is just that our 2.1 FWD cars don't have drive power applied to the rear wheels so traction control is only looking for front wheels, but ABS still needs to know what they are doing for ABS breaking control.

Old 06-20-2022, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cRHi4s33J9M

If reluctor ring needs replacement =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lacement-1982/

Where to look for the above video hole

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lAtIPVA0qK0

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 06-20-2022 at 04:17 PM.