X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which Oil?

Okay so I've been researching some of the various drive train maintenance suggestions in regards to fluid swapping...I see that people seem to like Royal Purple for the Diff...but what is reccomended for the transfer case and Transmission itself? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

First of all, is your car a manual or an automatic?

Second, the choice of oil will change depending on who you ask because some people have had different experiences than others with oil brands in the past.

Third, this is what I use:
Transfer case: Royal Purple fully synthetic gear oil
Manual transmission: Redline fully synthetic mtl

Redline is hard to find and I had to buy it off of ebay from a racing store, but it was well worth it. If your car is a manual and you want the link just let me know and I'll dig it up

Last edited by disguay; 01-06-2012 at 01:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
zoolander (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You know it's funny, everytime an oil question comes up everyone says the same thing to the original poster, "different experiences/opinions/etc". But, I don't think that I recall on this forum where someone has listed a product they recommend NOT to use. Everyone's own individual procedure seems to work. Which is great, in theory. I like options.

Does anyone have an oil product they've used before and would now recommend not to use?

Zoolander, when does your sequel come out? And I second what Disguay posted. I also have a manual and used the Redline MT-90. I have yet to do the transfer case, but will likely go with the Purple People Eaters.

zoolander (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM

For TC and rear diff, Red Line or royal purple. ATF=Valvoline Hi Mileage Dex/Merc. For engine, pennzoil platinum, 5-30.

zoolander (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Andahaion, I will go against the grain here and not necessarily say "do not use", but some may take it that way. I have tried the full synthetics, blends, and straight dyno oil. From my experience, atleast with how the motor runs and mileage, I see no difference between the dyno oil and the full synthetic. So, why spend the extra money on the full synthetics or even the blends when you are not gaining anything over the dyno oils. I know others will come in here and say they get all sorts of benefits. Again, personal preferences are showing up. I say give it a try and see what happens. But, ultimately, you are the one that has to be happy with the product.

On a side note, most oils today are formulated using the same basic process and meet very high standards. So, whether you get the top of the line oil or the auto parts store knock off oil, as long as it has the same qualifications. Really, the only difference is the detergent package in the oil between brands. Some will clean the sludge out better than others. But, the lubricating properties are all the same. Do a little reading at - Bob is the Oil Guy. He is about the most unbiased person that you can find when it comes to oils and whatnot.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 PM

Thanks to everyone thus far for the responses...

1) The vehicle is an 03 auto 2.5
2) No plans for the sequel as of yet Andahaion
3) I'm looking for whatever fixes the insane whirring/humming/siren going off under my car when I drive it around.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zoolander
Thanks to everyone thus far for the responses...

1) The vehicle is an 03 auto 2.5
2) No plans for the sequel as of yet Andahaion
3) I'm looking for whatever fixes the insane whirring/humming/siren going off under my car when I drive it around.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
To fix the whirring noise, you will have to oil or replace your driveshaft support bearing. I tried to oil mine and didn't really have any luck, but some people have had success with just the oil. To replace the bearing you will need a new bearing and then also have to remove the driveshaft from the car. With the driveshaft out (pretty easy to remove) you just take the whole driveshaft with the old bearing to a shop and have them press the old one off and then press the new one on. Mine only makes noise at low temp so I haven't personally replaced mine yet, but I have researched for everything that is needed to get a new bearing.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by disguay
To fix the whirring noise, you will have to oil or replace your driveshaft support bearing. I tried to oil mine and didn't really have any luck, but some people have had success with just the oil. To replace the bearing you will need a new bearing and then also have to remove the driveshaft from the car. With the driveshaft out (pretty easy to remove) you just take the whole driveshaft with the old bearing to a shop and have them press the old one off and then press the new one on. Mine only makes noise at low temp so I haven't personally replaced mine yet, but I have researched for everything that is needed to get a new bearing.
Sweet! A spot of good news!...where can I find the bearing? This way I don't have to replace the whole shaft? I can just get a new bearing pressed on?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member