Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil CHange

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil CHange

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Jag and I am going for my first oil change. Could you plese advise how much a dealer charges for an oil change? Could you please advise whether any other oil changer store (like Mr. Lube) could change the oil on my 2002 Xtype?

Thank you,
D

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Oil CHange

Hi,

I change my own oil as I don't trust the Jiffy Lubes and places like that to do a good job..

It is real easy to do...you need a filter band wrench for the filterand a 13MM socket for the drain plug.

You need exactly 6.7 qts of 5w30 synthetic (I recommend Castrol Syntec)

Pre-fill the filter with new oil before installing it.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the alternative. it sound very easy, however, I do not have a garage and i park outside in Canada. It tends to get very cold this time

Thank you,
D

Old 01-05-2008, 10:17 AM
ud

Ah, I see your problem..well, find a service place that does Jags, that you can trust and take them 7 qts of your brand of oil..that will save you a little.
Good luck

Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Also keep in mind you have to replace the fill plug/washer combo with each oil change according to Jaguar.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Jag dealership is around $85 (USD) last I checked. I'm sure someone who actually gets it done through the dealership will give a more precise estimate.

I'm in the northern region myself (MI), I use synthetic on my cars, so that gives me a long enough interval to skip having to change it during the winter. However, my dealership said my warranty would be void if I were to use synthetic, so I'm going with Castrol dino oil. Fortunately, I have a garage.

When I lived in an apartment, I used to go to mom/pop lube shops and provided the with the oil and filter. They usually charged me anywhere from $7-10. Definitely worth that much money instead of freezing your **** off.

Call up some lube shops and ask them. Many diy'ers do this method in the winter time. Also be part of the oil change as to make sure they're not screwing you over. I see too many people just sitting in their cars at lube shops. Go outside, be friendly with the guy doing the job and just inspect their work. Usually, the guys are really friendly. I built a relationship with that shop while I was in an apartment (college). I usually spotted the guy doing the oil change $2/3 tip and he treated me and my car well.

That's my $0.02. However, nothing beats doing it yourself to insure you get an optimal drain period. Hope my post helps, good luck!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
ud

ORIGINAL: ancientsanskrit

However, my dealership said my warranty would be void if I were to use synthetic, so I'm going with Castrol dino oil. Fortunately, I have a garage.

Sorry, not argueing with you, But That is total BullSh!t!...Your dealeris sooooo wrong....Just believe me, the warranty wil not be voided..My Dealer who is also a Mercedes/Volvo dealer..uses nothing BUT synthetic and HIGHLY recommends it in the JAG....I have talked in the past with Jauguar Technical services about this,and they said to also use Synthetic...DINO oil is okay, but Synthetic is best.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Sorry, not argueing with you, But That is total BullSh!t!...Your dealeris sooooo wrong....Just believe me, the warranty wil not be voided..My Dealer who is also a Mercedes/Volvo dealer..uses nothing BUT synthetic and HIGHLY recommends it in the JAG....I have talked in the past with Jauguar Technical services about this,and they said to also use Synthetic...DINO oil is okay, but Synthetic is best.
Hehe, I'm quite aware of it. I definitely gave the service manager a look like this [>:], when he told me. I was like how can you guys use synthetic blends, which in my honest opinion is nothing but a marketing ploy (BITOG has several threads about this), for 10k miles, and then not encourage owners to use synthetic. Ehhh, whatever. Most dinos are quite robust and will go to a good 5k, granted a quality filter be used with it.

I prefer synthetic because it extends my drain interval, is cheaper for me (I use supertech ) and I get up there in the RPM range. I don't think my mother hits redline very often in her jag (Atleast, I hope not)!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis
DINO oil is okay, but Synthetic is best.

that is your opinion mate, not a fact.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:25 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: nineball

DINO oil is okay, but Synthetic is best.

that is your opinion mate, not a fact.
Not my opinion at all Mate..That's was what the Jaguar Tech people ( not the dealer, but Jaguar Co. themselves)told me..

My opinion is that Sythetic is best and that is a fact....period.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Everyone has their ownopinions, and the oil topic has been beaten to death. Yours is that synthetic is better and you are entitled to that, butthat does not mean it is a fact mate. My manual does not say to use synthetic, nor did it come with synthetic from the factory.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

In the handbook it says not to use Synthetic oil.
I queried this with Jaguar (UK) Customer services and this was their reply (bearing in mindmy handbook is 5 years old now):-
Dear Sir
Thank you for contacting Jaguar Cars
Further to your enquiry.
Having been advised by our Technical Team the reasons for not using fully synthetic oil is that years ago fully synthetic oil would cause damage to the oil seals. This is no longer the case,mixing semi and fully synthetic oil will not cause any damage.
We do not recommend Semi or Fully. Both are equally as good as each other.
Thank you once again for contacting Jaguar Cars.
If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on freephone 0800 70 80 60, or by email on information@jaguar.co.uk.
Our customer information centre is open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm
Saturday and 10am-4pm on Sundays.
Yours sincerely
Susan Joyce
Jaguar Information

Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: nineball

Everyone has their ownopinions, and the oil topic has been beaten to death. Yours is that synthetic is better and you are entitled to that, butthat does not mean it is a fact mate. My manual does not say to use synthetic, nor did it come with synthetic from the factory.
Manual was written before Jaguar relized that was a mis print and left it up to the dealer to explain..Again, the Jaguar techs said that Dino oil is fine, but change it more often..but they are recommending to the dealers to encourage the use of synthetics..

But the FACT that synthetic is proven, not by my opinion to the best wear protection, but by scientific tests..here is one for example..

Old 01-05-2008, 02:09 PM

heheheh. a picture. ok. you win. congrats.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

but they are recommending to the dealers to encourage the use of synthetics..
They are not recommending Synthetics read the above reply from Jaguar on this:-
Dear Sir

Further to your enquiry.

Having been advised by our Technical Team the reasons for not using fully synthetic oil is that years ago fully synthetic oil would cause damage to the oil seals. This is no longer the case, mixing semi and fully synthetic oil will not cause any damage.

us on freephone 0800 70 80 60, or by email on information@jaguar.co.uk.
Yours sincerely
Susan Joyce
Jaguar Information

Old 01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2

but they are recommending to the dealers to encourage the use of synthetics..
They are not recommending Synthetics read the above reply from Jaguar on this:-
Dear Sir

Further to your enquiry.

Having been advised by our Technical Team the reasons for not using fully synthetic oil is that years ago fully synthetic oil would cause damage to the oil seals. This is no longer the case, mixing semi and fully synthetic oil will not cause any damage.

us on freephone 0800 70 80 60, or by email on information@jaguar.co.uk.
Yours sincerely
Susan Joyce
Jaguar Information
Delete the mis printed NOT and the sentance makes sense

Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Dennis it makes complete sense with the not in there.Take a step back,read what IS said and digest it.
They are not recommending one over the other they are saying they are both equally as good as each other.
This was confirmed by their techexpert at last years X type seminar when I asked him.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:48 PM
ud

I think the key words you're not seeing is "YEARS AGO"...the rest of the statement is in
contradiction to itself.

Anyways..that's fine..do and maintain your car the way that makes you feel best...Here in the 21st century I'll be content with what's best for mine.

PS; I've been driving and maintaing my cars for 36 years and have never had any problems with Castrol Syntec brands (superior lubricants for the money)...Mobil 1, now that's a different story.[&:]

Old 01-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Shesh, this is getting ridiculous.

It's very simple, if you have a warranty, double check w/your warranty provider and stick by it. A quality dino is just as good as a full synthetic in most driving applications.

I used to be a Mobil 1 fanboy, till I discovered that it was non-PAO off BITOG. After advertising that they were a PAO, I immediately jumped off the band wagon and went with an affordable brand, Supertech from Walmart (resealed as Quaker State/Pennzoil dependent on location in US).

Pull, up the MSDS and it shows it's a robust Group III just like Mobil 1. No thanks M1, I'll save my $$$$. Now, Amsoil is a quality PAO. Just costs an arseload of money. All these bold statements about what's better is ridiculous w/o concrete data/proof.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  6.4 KB

Great..........another debate about oil[sm=repost.gif]....lol
We seem to have one of these about every 4-6 weeks or so.

Oh well, in this case I use what the manufacturer recommends, but thats just my opinion.

Jim

Quick Reply: Oil CHange