Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil CHange

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Oil CHange

I apologize for getting in the middle of this topic and trampling anyone's egos...I can imagineevery car forum on the web, has at least dozens of threads about oil, but like me, newbies don't use the search function, but instead just start a new thread...My comments come from years of experience with auto maintenance, my opinion may seem strong and if it does I'm sorry..I just know what I'm talking about at leastwhen it comes tooil.

And in the way of my fine British friends...

Cheers
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  6.4 KB

No probs Dennis.........as you say, like a lot of other forums we have this regularly and for some reason, like tyres for example, it always really gets goin. Everybody has their own opinion on these things, some stronger than others.
Watch, it'll resurface in another few weeks time I'll bet....lol

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]cheers to you to...hic

Love the Hummer btw
Jim

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: JimC64

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]cheers to you to...hic

Love the Hummer btw
Jim
Holy ****..you'd better explain that one....ROTFLMAO

Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 64
Views: 59
Views: 69

BTW??
by the way

Jim

Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 PM
ud

Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 71
Views: 68
Views: 79

Nice one with the popcorn Dennis.....rofl

Jim

Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 PM
ud

I do hope you are entertained by my ranting... It is fun to type.. hope it is fun to read..

Name:  thumbsup1.gif
Size:  3.2 KB

Old 01-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 61
Views: 63

ORIGINAL: bojangles
I do hope you are entertained by my ranting... It is fun to type.. hope it is fun to read..
Entertained as always Bo....rofl

Jim

Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bojangles

ORIGINAL: nineball

ORIGINAL: Dennis
DINO oil is okay, but Synthetic is best.

that is your opinion mate, not a fact.
have you lost your mind? it is clearly fact that synthetics perform better.... they are more expensive and designed for longer drain intervals but saying that is not a fact is absurd
well if it costs more it must be better, right?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I love oil threads as well ,so entartaining yet informative

Originally Posted by Cadillacboy [/align]Steve Steve Steve

opppsssss what would we say ? Oh yeah amsoil amsoil amsoil

[/align]

Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

well if it costs more it must be better, right?
Dude, you do realize there are differences in chemical composition of Group II, Group III and Group IV (PAOs). I mean, I tend to side with you in the notion that a quality dino is nearly as good as a full synthetic in normal driving conditions. For whatever reason Jaguar suggests dinos, nobody will know. However, to state that full synthetics are not as good as dinos is asinine. I suggest you log into BITOG (Bob is the oil guy) and do some reading. Hell, I suggest anyone who wants answer to this log-on there.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Isnt it great we have people like Dennis on this forum....someone who knows better than Jaguar even after allthe money,years of testing,technical problems that they overcame and development that Jag putinto their cars.Along comes Dennis who spends $20 odd each year on oil for his car who knows better than everyone else including Jaguar and states his opinions saying they are facts.Go figure

Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 AM
ud

Thank you...

Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Well edited

Old 01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
ud

Fundamentals

To grasp this slippery subject, we first need to cover some fundamentals. Synthetic oils are a result of scientific manipulation of non-conventional fluids, but here the silk-or-polyester analogy stops. Synthetic oils are definitely not the equivalent of polyester leisure suits; in fact, they are generally priced three to four times that of conventional oil. And, more to the point, synthetics are an improvement over their conventional kin.

Let's break down the details of synthetics, and what makes them better. One definition of "synthetic" is big molecules built up from small ones. Like genetic
engineers, the oil companies figured they could improve the performance of engine oil and eliminate some of the shortcomings in the laboratory.

In the simplest terms, the base stock of synthetics, polyalphaolefin (PAO) starts as ethylene gas, a simple two-carbon molecule that is built up to a 10-carbon molecule. Three of these super molecules are combined to form PAO, a base stock that offers a number of advantages over Mother Nature's version. Synthetics are more stable, flow at lower temperatures, are more resistant to boiling off, and less susceptible to oxidation, which causes thickening with prolonged high temperatures...aka SLUDGE.

The inherent element with crude stock for motor oil is the molecular construction. Conventional motor oil is a batch of short-chain and long-chair carbon and hydrogen atoms. In extreme heat, the short chains can evaporate and these unstable molecules oxidize and break down. In addition, contaminants and reactive and/or unstable hydrocarbons can sneak through the refining process. On the other hand, synthetics are better on a number of levels. They keep the
engine cleaner through improved sludge and varnish protection, reduce engine wear at high temperatures with more stable viscosity, protect the engine when it's running under severe conditions at high temperatures, provide better cold-temperature starts with faster oil flow at ignition and improve fuel efficiency.

Myths

As with any new technology, there are a number of myths and advertising claims that need to be explored. Back in the late 1990s, the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus ruled that "synthetic" could be defined as the product of an intended chemical reaction.

As a result of this battle of semantics, the NAD, the Society of Automotive Engineers and the American Petroleum Institute ended up with broad interpretations of "synthetic." What that means to the layperson is this: if you want full synthetic or semi-synthetic or whatever, read the label to make sure you're getting what you want and what you think you're paying for.

One urban myth surrounding synthetic oil is its compatibility with conventional oil. At one time, those who switched from conventional to synthetics had to stick with synthetics—there was no going back. Synthetics expanded the seals in the
engine; then, when conventional motor oil was used, that engine sprang multiple leaks.

Oil changes.
Thesynthetics do hold up longer than petroleum-based oils, but the additives in both wear out at the same rate. The oil companies have tested their synthetics for longevity, but they still recommend following the specific owner's manual for oil change intervals.

As for special oil filters or special disposal techniques for those who change their own oil, that's easy. You can use the same filter and follow the same disposal procedures that you would with conventional oils.

So, should you bite the bullet and fork over more money for synthetics? Sure, if you want to. If you are in a fully committed relationship with the car of your dreams, and have decided that car is worth the cost, spring for that Dom Perignon

Also this is a good read too..
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/synthetic_vs_conventional_oil/index.html

Old 01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Dennis, You are still missing the point!
Jaguar are not saying that synthetics arent any better than semi synths they are saying they dont specifically recommend either.YOU ARE NOTLISTENING OR UNDERSTANDING TOWHAT THEY ARE SAYING.You are assuming that they are saying Synthetics are crap.
PSRe Thelawnmower,You are assuming I have one.
Tsk Tsk Tsk...more wrong assumptions.

Quick Reply: Oil CHange