X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil change help!!!!

Well, I decided to do the first oil change on mom's '03 X-type. (It's a 2.5L).

Well, firstly the drain plug wasn't 3/8", never seen a car like that before...not a big deal, plenty of clearance for fitting a socket.

The problem was the oil filter...wtf were they thinking?!?!?!

Not enough room to get a good grip b/c of the down-pipe with this:

This wasn't designed for the filter and just kept slipping. Tried pushing it all the way in, still no go. Plus the socket has a hard time fitting b/c the plastic splash guard doesn't give enough clearance:

This stupid silhouette wrench won't even work b/c the down-pipe clearance issue:

Never have I seen an oil filter in such a bad location. Plus the idiots at Jaguar decided "hand-tight" meant "torque down to 10,000 N-m."

Arghhh, how do I get this thing out? Any tricks/tools out there???? Please help! I just patched it up (added oil and kept the filter as is) since I had enough with it.

FYI: The oil was nasty! They claimed it was "up to all maintenance." Yeah Right! Shesh!

Thanks guys and gals!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil change help!!!!

lol, you put alot of effort into this post with all teh fancy pics lol. I got mine off pretty easily with a rubber strap wrench. They are pretty cheap.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:21 PM

Dude, I know! I've been doing oil changes for years now. I've done them on Fords, GMs, Mazdas and never had an issue. I felt ridiculous asking this question.

Do you have a 2.5L? I want suggestions from those with the 2.5Ls as they will know what I'm talking about (I hope!).

Old 08-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did my oil change on my 2.5 a few weeks ago. I used the last wrench you have on the list. I get enough grip to loosen it up but yeah its a pain in the butt. Im sure theres an easier way.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the "jaw" type wrench as well as the rest of the techs i work with :
http://www.kd-tools.com/33683369.htm

Also, use the oil filter cardboard box to cover the exhaust down pipe.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:24 PM

I got it! Thanks for the help guys!

Ended up taking a screwdriver and cracking the filter and twisting it out.
The idiot Jaguar mechanic must have not put oil on the rubber gasket, and I'm assuming it's been on there for over 8k miles!!! [:@]

Now I've got fresh Castrol GTX oil and a Motorcraft filter on there. The Jag sounds much happier!
(Would have liked to have gone w/Mobil 1 synthetic, but w/my dealership suggesting not to and the older MY manuals suggesting not to, I went w/regular dino.)

Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all that, you could have just paid the dealer $80. But I guess you have the feeling of accomplishment as a consolation...[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 08-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: andersen06
After all that, you could have just paid the dealer $80. But I guessyou have the feeling of accomplishment as a consolation...[sm=Flahssssss.gif]
+1 on that....glad you're sorted now though ancient

Jim

Old 08-19-2007, 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: andersen06

After all that, you could have just paid the dealer $80. But I guess you have the feeling of accomplishment as a consolation...[sm=Flahssssss.gif]
Hah, very true!!!

However, I'm still ahead as my final cost was $16 (Just have to return those other filter wrenches!). I'm sure the Jaguar guys do a good job, but from what I have already seen, an oil filter totally stuck in there (positive the guy didn't oil the rubber gasket), I'm not so sure. Plus, w/ DIY you can extend the draining time to insure all the old oil is out. Anyways, as they say different strokes for different folks.

Anyone who does oil changes knows that the first oil change done on the car is usually a pita, as 1. You really aren't familiar w/the car and 2. The idiot oil guys like to over-tighten components to cover their ***** in cases something goes wrong. Anywho, glad it's done!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 29

Cool ancient.......sounds like a job well done.
You know what they say.......If you want sumthin done right?....Do it yourself!
Nice post with good pics to.

Jim

Old 08-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, Ancient got over on them dealers. They keep suckin our pockets dry...

Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 AM

80 bucks for an oil change???!!!! Thats insane. I would NEVER pay that much. Jiffy lube only charges 20 bucks ya know....

Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: peewee

80 bucks for an oil change???!!!! Thats insane. I would NEVER pay that much. Jiffy lube only charges 20 bucks ya know....
Step away from the Jag....I repeat step away from the Jag....

Dude, Jiffy Lube is by far the worst oil change chain out there. Why would you let a 16 yrs old kids, who don't give a crap about your car, work on your Jag? Unless you personally know the shop owner and workers at which you take it to, I wouldn't drive into that place even at gun point. I've heard too many nightmare stories of things going wrong as a result of chains like Jiffy Lube. You'd be amazed what goes down in those joints.

Don't believe me? Look it up in some of the CRs, the chain's issues are well-documented.

I'd pay $80 any day @ the Jag dealer rather than taking it to a chain like Jiffy Lube and have peace of mind that comes with it.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 29

Hey peewee....personally I dont know the chain you are talkin about, although it sounds like ancient does[&:]
If its true and I'm sure it is as I seem to remember similar comments from a previous thread somewhere its down to $$$'s or £££'s ( whatever )
Sometimes cheapest is NOT always the best value for money as it could end up costing you hundreds or even thousands in the long run, just to save maybe $10 $20 or $30!
But as I always say.........like everythin incl tyres, oil etc etc, its all down to personal preference, available knowledge and gut instinct.

Jim

Old 08-24-2007, 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: ancientsanskrit

ORIGINAL: peewee

Step away from the Jag....I repeat step away from the Jag....

Dude, Jiffy Lube is by far the worst oil change chain out there. Why would you let a 16 yrs old kids, who don't give a crap about your car, work on your Jag? Unless you personally know the shop owner and workers at which you take it to, I wouldn't drive into that place even at gun point. I've heard too many nightmare stories of things going wrong as a result of chains like Jiffy Lube. You'd be amazed what goes down in those joints.

Don't believe me? Look it up in some of the CRs, the chain's issues are well-documented.

I'd pay $80 any day @ the Jag dealer rather than taking it to a chain like Jiffy Lube and have peace of mind that comes with it.

I was just making a simple price comparison. No i don't take my car to jiffy lube. I know all about them. My younger brother and his friends used to work at one and i have horror stories that would make your teeth cringe.For example, one kid was doing a simple tire rotation and he forgot to secure all the lug nuts back onto the front wheel. The owner of the car got in and drove off only to have his tire go flying off into the median and consequently crash his car. So yes you would be wise not to go to jiffy lube. However, i am sure your local mechanic isjust as qualified as a jag tech to change oil if you cantdo it yourself.I absolutely flat out refuse to pay 80 dollars for an oil change. That's just burning money. You can probably do it yourself for $30. Also remember just because its a jag doesn't justify burning money on simple maintenance. The 2.5 and 3.0 are ford motors with jaguar heads. Nothing incredible or special about them. If it was a twin turbo v12 i would still say do the maintenance yourself and save the $$.