Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil in intake

Newbie here,

I removed the upper intake to change the spark plugs. The 04 X-type 2.5 has 85K on it. The car has been running OK with no codes but a bit lacking in power.

I found what I believe to be a lot of oil in the upper intake manifold. From what I can tell by previous post this is not completely unusual . I have purchase new plugs and upper intake gaskets.

Should I purchase a new PCV valve and hose? Are these dealer only items? The big box parts stores do not have a listing for them.

Also I will need to replace the IMT O rings (x2) since I will need to remove these to clean the upper intake. Does anyone have aftermarket parts number or location for these other than the dealers?

Any other suggestion greatly appreciated before I re-assemble.

james.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

james, first off, welcome to the forums my fellow Buckeye. As you will find out, there is a lot of information to be had here. So, sit back, grab a cup of Joe and enjoy. We also ask that you put up a post in the "New Member" section. There you will find out who the movers and shakers are here.

As for your "problem". Yes, finding oil in the intake is not uncommon. It is sounding like your PCV valve is starting to fail. Not a big deal. You can get a new one through some online dealerships (see Nalley Jag, they are an advertiser here, just make sure to let them know you are a member here, or I use Jaguarparts.com, which is a dealership out of Cleveland). You can also look at Jagbits.com and Britishcarparts.com (talk to Ken, he is a member here).

Keep in mind that you can get some parts from the same year Lincoln LS 3.0L motor and they will transfer right over. Both vehicles use essentially the same motor, therefore the parts work.

As for what you will need. You can remove the IMT valves and not replace the O-rings. Granted, if you are in that far, the o-rings are cheap and might as well be replaced. The same can be said about the intake gaskets. Must you replace them? No. They are re-usable. If you look at Advanceautoparts.com, you can find the intake gaskets there for around $20 for a set of 6. If you need a part number, let me know. As for the PCV valve, again, it is a cheap part and it sounds like you need a new one anyways. As for the hose, no need to replace it as long as you have the ribbed hose. If you have a smooth hose, then I would say replace it as this is a known weakness with the car.

Like I said before, welcome to the Forums and you will find lots of useful information here. Don't be a stranger and keep the posts coming.

The following users liked this post:
Sb10 (01-15-2020)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 AM

Thanks Thermo. Always appreciate input.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Default Finished up

Job finished, running good. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Is the pcv valve only available online?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Veteran member

iwonme, I have only been able to get it online or at the dealer. You might be able to find a European Performance shop and they will be able to get the PCV valve for you. But, hard to say.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Just go to rockauto.com

Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM

The PCV valve on rockauto did not look like mine. The jag dealer needed my VIN. Supposedly they used several different ones?

James

Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

there is a black one and a green one. There are two different types of pcv hoses as well. If you are working with the old pcv valve (you can tell cause the pcv hose is just a hose with no reinforcement) I would upgrade to the new (green) pcv valve, and the new reinforced pcv valve hose which is available off of ebay

Old 06-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

I just ordered a pcv valve from coventry west..was about $23...I think mine is fine..just old..lol

Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2001Jaguar S Type 4.0 V8

New member here. Where is the PCV valave located on my car, I also have some oil in the intake hose.
Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

jag12284, open the hood of your car, then remove the cover off of the top of the motor (held in place by 3 screws). Now, if you locate the air filter box, you will see the large tube that runs back to the engine for the air. If you look to the left of that, you will see a large rubber hose (about 1" in diameter) running from the valve cover to the intake just beyond the throttlebody. If you look at the end nearest the air filter box, the PCV valve is right there.

Good luck in getting the PCV valve. None of the shops in your area are going to have the PCV valve except for possible an import parts place there on Little Creek near where MIlitiary HIghway ends. The only other place would be the Jag dealership there on VA Beach BLVD.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV VALVE

[QUOTE=jamest;528294]Newbie here,

I removed the upper intake to change the spark plugs. The 04 X-type 2.5 has 85K on it. The car has been running OK with no codes but a bit lacking in power.

I found what I believe to be a lot of oil in the upper intake manifold. From what I can tell by previous post this is not completely unusual . I have purchase new plugs and upper intake gaskets.

Should I purchase a new PCV valve and hose? Are these dealer only items? The big box parts stores do not have a listing for them.
Also I will need to replace the IMT O rings (x2) since I will need to remove these to clean the upper intake. Does anyone have aftermarket parts number or location for these other than the dealers?

Any other suggestion greatly appreciated before I re-assemble.

james.

Hi James. I had the exact same problem. So I removed my pcv valve and saw that it was all gunked up with oil. So cleans it thoroughly and removed all the hard oil that was covering it. It still works as u need to shake it to check it still works. After replacing it my jag is running much better. I’ve now ordered a ribbed breather hose which is far better than the smooth one which leaks air.then I checked for air leaks. So I’m going through a process of elimination slowly. good luck my friend.