X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I put on my McGruber/Mickey Mouse hat and installed my component speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, so I put on my McGruber/Mickey Mouse hat and installed my component speakers.

I received my MB Quart component speakers today and decided to give it a try. I followed the steps for taking off the door panel and managed to break 3 clips. I realized I couldn't use the adapter, then thought of a way to use it. Here is a some pics so if anyone wants to save a few bucks and the time to way for an adapter from ebay here you go. I also used the plastic piece that holds the stock tweeter to hold the new tweeter. I was able to angle 3 screws to get my 6.5" mb to go into the stock adapter. I also had to tear out the stock speaker to use it. I used little nails to create small holes for the screws to start in and they help to mark the holes as I put the mb speaker of the stock plastic piece. For the tweeter I took out the stock one and then took of the white plastic piece and glued the mb tweeter to it, then re-attached it.
________
korean girl Cams

Attached Thumbnails Ok, so I put on my McGruber/Mickey Mouse hat and installed my component speakers.-dsc00735.jpg   Ok, so I put on my McGruber/Mickey Mouse hat and installed my component speakers.-dsc00736.jpg   Ok, so I put on my McGruber/Mickey Mouse hat and installed my component speakers.-dsc00737.jpg   Ok, so I put on my McGruber/Mickey Mouse hat and installed my component speakers.-dsc00738.jpg   Ok, so I put on my McGruber/Mickey Mouse hat and installed my component speakers.-dsc00739.jpg  

Last edited by jeffrimerman; 04-20-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 PM

I used the yellow and white wires that have the stripes, but I wasn't sure if the yellow was + or the white was +. Does anyone know what the + one is. I can rewire them all the same so it wouldn't really matter, but if I don't change the rears for a while, I'll be canceling out some of the sound till I change the rears.
________
Lovely Wendie99

Old 10-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

Jeff, the white wires are positive, the yellow wires are negative. But, as long as you wire all the speakers the same way, doesn't matter whether the yellow is on the positive or the negative. Just as long as all the speakers are wired the same way. This will prevent the speakers from trying to cancel each other out, leading to poor sound quality.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 PM

Thank you Thermo. I used an educated guess and got it right=). I used the orientation of the + and - on the stock speaker compared to the MB speaker and was hoping it was the same. I'll do the driver side on Sunday. For the rears since I am on interested in how it sounds to the passengers, I wonder if I will get good sound from a pair of 6.5" 3-way versus another set of components. What do you recommend for full sound? My friend is going to give me a bass box with built on sub for the trunk.

I noticed the pioneer 3 ways have the lowest bass response, so those sound like the best choice for the rear doors. Components seem to just have a mid and tweeter. So just in case I don't put a bass in the trunk I will be able to get some bass.
________
Uhwh

Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

Jeff, when it comes to speakers, it is kinda like asking what a persons favorite car color is. Everyone has a different opinion of what is good, better best. So, what I propose to you is to take an afternoon and go to a few stereo shops. Since you already have the front speakers, use those as one set of speakers (or something from MB Quartz). Next, find a bunch of speakers in the size you are looking for from as many different manufacturers as you can. Now, play each set of speakers (paired up with the MB Quartz speakers) one at a time to see which gives you the sound that you are after.

From my playing with stereos over the years, it is possible to get a surround sound effect if you can match certain brands of speakers together. Sometimes it is hit and miss, other times it can be fairly easy to do. But, it all depends on what you are looking for with the rear speakers.

Another thing that I will recommend you keep an eye on is the efficiency rating (dB/W) of the speakers. You should shoot for something that has the same rating as your MB Quartz speakers or possibly a little lower (only 1-2 less). This will help ensure you keep your front staging and the rear speakers are there for fill. Getting speakers that are a more efficient speaker (ie, one with a rating much higher, say 3-4 more) for the rear is going to shift the sound to the back of the car, making it sound like you are listening to a concert with your back to the stage. Not a sound that most people like

In the past, I have had good luck with speakers from Pioneer, Cliff Designs, and Boston Accoustics. Granted, I tend to buy some of the higher end products from them too.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:33 AM

I ordered some Pioneer 3-ways for a good price. I'll have to play with the bass and treble and fade I'm sure to get it to sounds the way I want. If I have to I'll get a 4 channel amp. I'm just too lazy to run all those wires back and forth.
________
Mercedes-benz w187

Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jeff, i also installed MB Quartz components in all of my doors including the tweets. they sound way better than stock, and i also have to 10 jls in the trunk facing the rear. its funny because i had the "premium" sound and when i took out the rear deck speakers, i found that one of them was a fake speaker! haha but i am also looking to get rid of the subs in the trunk for more space and a more "cleaner" look, and i am interested in putting in some 3 ways in the rear. please let me know what your findings are

Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by lilblujag
jeff, i also installed MB Quartz components in all of my doors including the tweets. they sound way better than stock, and i also have to 10 jls in the trunk facing the rear. its funny because i had the "premium" sound and when i took out the rear deck speakers, i found that one of them was a fake speaker! haha but i am also looking to get rid of the subs in the trunk for more space and a more "cleaner" look, and i am interested in putting in some 3 ways in the rear. please let me know what your findings are
I bought some 6.5" subs and never used them and eventually sold them, but I wonder if something like that would also work for you since you have rear deck speaker holes. Or do you not have rear deck speaker holes? I'm assuming the premium system came with 6 sets of speakers. I'm wondering if there is a aftermarket HU that has a more powerful built in amp in the market. I put my jvc in which is the standard 22wX4 rms, but I wonder if there is one that is like 40wX4 rms. I'm ok even if it is double din. Does anyone know. I'm too lazy to run all the wires to the trunk and back to the front=/.
________
Teen Younger

Last edited by jeffrimerman; 04-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.